The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameco VFO 621 Output Frequency  (Read 2796 times)
n4joy

« on: January 29, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »

I own a very nice, unmolested Ameco VFO 621 that is paired with my Ameco TX2 Transmitter.  I have yet to test the VFO with the transmitter as the latter is on the bench undergoing a recap.  I was checking over the VFO and noticed I could not obtain an accurate reading on my handheld frequency counter at the FT-243 plug of the VFO.  To quote the manual, the VFO is "hetrodyned to 24-26 Mc.".  The frequency counter is all over the place and I cannot ascertain a stable figure anywhere close to 24-26 Mhz.

Am I missing something?  Resistors, tubes, and electrolytic are fine--all wiring appears original with no apparent signs of modification.

I appreciate the guidance.  

Chris, N4JOY  
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:55:46 PM »

Have you grounded the necessary terminals to make the VFO put out a signal?
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »

The VFO output may not be sinusoidal, which will make the counter go nuts. A spectrum analyzer, or wideband SDR is helpful in situations like this.

Jim
Wd5JKO
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »

Although the output is via a broadband tune amplifier it is likely some of the 4-7 Mhz. VFO output along with the 19.9 hetrodyne oscillator output is appearing along with the desired output and this will also confuse the counter.  I expect this VFO still depends upon the associated transmitter to provide additional filtering for acceptable spectral purity.

As others have noted you can use a receiver to determine whether it is truly producing a 24-26 Mhz. output and a receiver is called for  in the manual for alignment of the 4 to 7 Mhz. VFO section.  I used a receiver rather than frequency counter when I aligned mine a couple of years ago.

Rodger WQ9E
n4joy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

Silly me! Duh!  Yes, I checked the VFO with my Christmas present (SDR) and am indeed seeing a signal at the expect frequency.  I literally forgot I had the SDR.  Anyway, I do not have a functioning, general coverage receiver on HF at the moment so I ruled that out.  Well, problem solved.  I appreciate the very quick responses.  The manual's method of calibration is somewhat clunky so I wanted to use an easier method.

Thanks,

Chris, N4JOY

n4joy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:57:40 PM »

Well, after a warm-up I was very surprised to see that the VFO is nearly spot on.  Here is a screenshot from the SDR--the vertical red line is 25 Mhz.  The VFO is set to 50 MHz and is very close. 

* VFO.JPG (28.05 KB, 422x333 - viewed 374 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015