The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:18:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible eBay fraud on SB-220's  (Read 11551 times)
W4LTM
« on: December 30, 2004, 09:32:18 AM »

Hi gang,

I was pricing some SB-220 amplifiers and had a number of them in my eBay watch area and noticed that two of the listings are identical from two different people.  Other than different fonts they have the same verbage (mixed up a bit but exact wording), exact photos, exact subjects etc.  One of these is a definitely a fraud - two people can not be selling the same exact SSB-220 Amplifier with all the same information and photos.

In case anybody is looking to buy one of these I thought I would warn/share this information first.  I would hate to see a person get scammed. eBay was notified so we will see what they find.

Here are the links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5740424561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5740834434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Matt
W4LTM
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 10:09:00 AM »

The first one is being sold by that outfit in Texas that also has those infamous Globe King 500D's.

---Dave  W3NP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:14:13 PM »

Boy, that IS bizzare...

The first from from "vradioofnetex " is listed a day earlier. Some guys write poor ad copy and simply copy others' auctions. This second guy from Indiana may have done just that.   But obviously the info is not the whole truth if this is the case...

Another weird possibility is that maybe the Indiana guy believes he is gonna win the auction. He is now listing the same unit hoping that by the time his ends he will have gotten the first one and his auction will run up at a profit. Risky as hell...   Maybe if it doesn't work out he will cancel his auction.

This is worth watching for clues as it unfolds outa curiousity...

I'll bet there are more clues in there if one took the time to read it over carefully. Or, just send the guy an email with the evidence and ask directly what's going on.. :-)

Take a look at the several neg feedback comments...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 12:33:26 PM »

Quote - The first from from "Capricorn" is listed a day earlier

"Capricorn is a bidder, not the seller.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 12:53:42 PM »

This is a longshot but EBAY has been having some picture issues lately. Maybe the pictures had similar names and they were mixed up. Some sellers don't seem to have the time to police all their listings. An email to both sellers would be the way to go.
W4LTM
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 04:27:41 PM »

It looks like eBay pulled the second listing.  Well done eBay!

Matt
W4LTM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015