The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:32:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST Annual Vintage Radio Issue  (Read 12125 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: December 30, 2004, 07:25:17 AM »

Received my autographed free issue of QST from Ed W1RFI yesterday.  There some good vintage radio stuff in there.

Thanks Ed

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Matthew
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:41:30 PM »

Yea, they sure are doing good job, Last month Santa was on his sleigh with a D104 working AM, and this month a Ranger II, I was working on a Ranger II when this issue came out. Great Timing. Matthew KR4WI
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 12:50:00 PM »

Many thanks to Ed Hare, I got the Ranger QST issue from ARRL HQ mailed out to me, and read with interest the de-yellification of its power supply caps.

I think for their next stunt, QST should "discover" these black crinkle rack and panel babies in the cellar, and proceed to raffle them off to needy hams.

Here's the link to a pic:

http://home.comcast.net/~acohen788/W1AW.jpg
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 01:49:55 PM »

I too, asked for and rec'd a copy.....I haven't seen a QST in many years.....There were things in this issue that actually interested me...Thanks ED.....
SidebandPat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 08:40:57 AM »

I got a letter in December from the League stating that they are in dire straights and need $160K to make ends meet for the 2004 budget.....could I please help my sending them a donation.

Three days later the Vintage Issue arrives.  They could have auctioned that Ranger II for thousands.

Interesting, too, is now that "vintage operating" is trendy (and money-making for folks like Heill, etc).......the ARRL re-discovers its roots (and Rangers sitting in their basement).

Where was the ARRL twenty-plus years ago when the AM'ers were struggling for frequency space and recognition.
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 12:44:10 PM »

Quote from: SidebandPat
I got a letter in December from the League stating that they are in dire straights and need $160K to make ends meet for the 2004 budget.....could I please help my sending them a donation.

Three days later the Vintage Issue arrives.  They could have auctioned that Ranger II for thousands.

Interesting, too, is now that "vintage operating" is trendy (and money-making for folks like Heill, etc).......the ARRL re-discovers its roots (and Rangers sitting in their basement).

Where was the ARRL twenty-plus years ago when the AM'ers were struggling for frequency space and recognition.

The League is the only organization really fighting for the rights of the amateur, unless you subscribe to the IARN club.

The $160K is a pittance in comparison to what it costs to protect our bands each year?
What would the collective group of amateurs pay to defend our spectrum, bet it would be much more than 160 large?

Could the League have sold the Ranger on eBay?
Certainly, but I would wager the good press and new memberships which have generated out of Stu's efforts to build and document the project will be worth far more.
Indeed, rather than auction the Ranger and have one person enjoy the project, Stu's efforts have allowed hundreds, nay thousands to see and experience the joy of building a vintage kit!

Is AM trendy and fun, yes indeed, and I am enjoying every minute of it!
I know that in Maine, vintage operation is on a huge upswing.
When I moved here in 2000, there were perhaps a dozen vintage gear folks who were active.
The number has easily doubled in the last 4 hours, perhaps even tripled. Why is that a bad thing?

In closing, may I suggest you do something to aid the efforts of the amateur service rather than just pissing and moaning?
I have read your posts for the last few years and the tone is always negative.

In closing, may I inquire why you bother to be in the hobby or post here if the only comments you have to say are just pissing and moaning about the efforts of other who are doing good things for the amateur service?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015