The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plate connector raw material  (Read 1967 times)
WQ9E

« on: December 03, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »

I needed to replace some missing plate cap connectors on a project Swan Mark II amp I picked up and it looks like the heatsinks for 1 watt LEDs will make an excellent material source.  I was picking up some other stuff from Marlin P. Jones and ordered a few to see what they really look like and with a little time on the drill press they should work fine.  They are 7/16" tall, total width with fins  is 1 and 7/16" and the solid center section is 11/16" wide. These should provide a cheap source for those who want to create some custom heat dissipating connectors.  It looks like MPJA is currently out but I am sure they are available from others and here is what they look like:

http://www.mpja.com/Heatsink-for-1W-LED/productinfo/31230%20HK/

Rodger WQ9E
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »

a viable way to afix the aluminum extrusion to the pin on top of the tube... but yeah, those look
to be suitable, assuming an airflow along the length of the bottle, and not across...

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »

They are easy to drill to size for the plate cap and then tap for a set screw.  For tubes with a plate cap connected to the anode rod/wire via set better heat dissipation is achieved  by removing the plate cap and then drilling this connector only large enough to fit the wire/rod rather than the cap.

I agree that it is suited for traditional forced air cooling from the base and not cross flow cooling.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015