The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Limited space antenna.........................  (Read 15583 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »

I have five towers here, two at 190' and one at 150'...

T

Now, wait a minute! Is this New England math Cheesy Cheesy
You should have never taken down all those 6 meter beams. I was hoping you would set some new DX world records.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w8fax

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »

You sound rather defensive.    It was not my intention to infer it can't or shouldn't be done, rather, as a tower guy I was looking for more hints and kinks if and when I want to lower a small tower in a similar manner.  Sounds like you have a good method of doing it.

I have five towers here, two at 190' and one at 150'... put most of them up myself, so pretty comfortable working on them... Wink

T

Some folks fail to realize who they're talking to.

Fred

Then apparently no "explanation" is required...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »

Pete said:
"Now, wait a minute! Is this New England math Cheesy Cheesy "

There was a post recently with a link to a ham from Arizona? who put up a series of ~190' homebrew towers. All smaller sections were welded together- making one big 190' span!  To stand them up from the ground he first had to stand up a 50' gin pole. Then this 50' gin pole raised a second set of taller gin poles. He then raised the 190' towers with these 4-5 gin poles supporting the various levels.  Incredible home-spun operation.

But the end result is he had several very tall one-piece guyed towers standing.   This guy really knew the physics of towers.  He went on to hang a number of large Sterba curtain arrays.  I'm always interested in how people get these things accomplished.

Pete - My other two towers are 110' and 60' - not worth mentioning... Wink

Is the 6M cycle still a disappointment or has it come back to life?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »

Pete said:
"Now, wait a minute! Is this New England math Cheesy Cheesy "

Pete - My other two towers are 110' and 60' - not worth mentioning... Wink

Is the 6M cycle still a disappointment or has it come back to life?

T

This is good. Now readers can compute correct addition  Grin

This current cycle has been a big disappointment for 6M at least in the U. S. although we did have an Sporadic E opening to 4 and 5 land several days ago. Trans-equatorial openings have popped up between Europe and Africa and Southern U.S. and South America but, given the decent sunspot numbers over the last several months and MUF predictions rolling upwards to 70 and 80 MHz at times, it's been head scratching why 6 has not come to life. It's like we're all missing something that no one can put their finger on. On the lighter side, I still think your super/super 6 meter array could have set some new 6 meter records. Did you ever calculate the forward gain of that array?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »

Strange that 6M defies the usual sunspots. Well, maybe there is something new to be discovered.

You must mean the homebrew sixteen 6M 3el Yagi stack?     It was eight 3el to the SW USA and eight 3el to the NE for Eu.   It started at 190' high and worked its way down the tower, fed in phase.  It was a lot of work, lot of climbing. Built and put them up by myself.

I figure the gain is what eight Yagis would make over a single one, so maybe  9dB over a single Yagi.  There are H frames out there that have more gain, esp for moonbounce.

T

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 117.jpg (328.86 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 403 times.)

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 039.jpg (134.12 KB, 480x640 - viewed 392 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015