The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:00:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamarlund help  (Read 1893 times)
KD5TXX

« on: November 29, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »

This is probably something simple but since I have no one here to help me I am asking ya'll.  I was trying to find a frequency with my 140x and switched the limiter switch on.  At that point all power turned off.  I'm assuming it is a fuse somewhere.  Being that I have never looked inside this receiver, where should I look?  Also...since this still confounds me 3 years after getting it....how do you set the dials to use the fine tune on 20m? I can't ever figure out where I am.
KD5TXX

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:07:47 PM »

Ok, I unplugged it, opened it and fuse was fine.  Plugged it back in and it works again...I haven't got a clue what happened.  But back to my other problem....can someone explain how to set the dial for the 20 m band?
k7pp

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

Hi Ed;

The fuse is underneath the cover in the far back right and on top of the chassis.
The fuse clip is right next to the black power transformer.   Take care to replace with the same value.
It's not likely that turning on the limiter control would cause a fuse failure but stranger things have happened.

As to tuning.  
Look at the right dial and tune to the upper end of the band that you want to work.  Make sure the band switch is selected for the proper range.
Look at the left dial and find the same, "top of the band" setting.  For instance,  14.4.  
Set the left dial to 14.4 and then go back to the right dial and tune from 14.4 down the band.  Of course, the 20 meter band edge is 14.35 but the calibration for the dial starts at 14.4.
Now, leave the left dial alone from then on.
You should be in the ball park then.
Remember,  this gets you in the ball park and not dead on as with your more modern equipment.
Many hams have installed crystal calibrators in their old Hammarlunds to get around this.
If you want to know specifics,  let me know.

Best,
Pete, K7PP
KD5TXX

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:25:34 PM »

Sent you a pm.  Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015