The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: winter  (Read 9182 times)
KB5MD
Contributing

« on: November 12, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »

I guess winter is finally on its way to south Arkansas.  Wind is blowing, temp is dropping and wild geese have been going over all morning, maybe a 1000 total.
Time to get the winter time projects going, heck, I'm not finished with the summertime projects yet.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »

Hi Roy,

Up here in PA this is probably the coldest day of the season so far.  The best is yet to come!  Very windy with some light snow this morning.  If it was not for the wind, it would not feel to bad.  The wind is blowing all of our leaves away which is appreciated.

Seeing where your located, did you know Bruce Vaughan, NR5Q (sk)?  I just finished reading his last book, "Surviving Technology" and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I never had the pleasure of working him and wish I had.

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »

Seeing where your located, did you know Bruce Vaughan, NR5Q (sk)?  I just finished reading his last book, "Surviving Technology" and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I never had the pleasure of working him and wish I had.

Unfortunately, I never met Bruce but have admired his projects and always enjoyed reading his stories.  He was from Springdale, AR I believe and that is the other end of the state from me.  I am eleven miles North of the Arkansas/Louisiana state line.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »

I just finished reading his last book, "Surviving Technology" and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I never had the pleasure of working him and wish I had.

Joe, W3GMS   

Was it technology that finally got him?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »

" Was it technology that finally got him? "

No, he just stoped regenerating.

klc

What? Me worry?
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

...wait a minute. It almost sounds like he was a Time Lord and used up his 12th life. Clarify, please.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

http://radioheaven.homestead.com/NRQ-62_The_Ultimate_Regen.html

klc

What? Me worry?
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »

Yup, Winter is here in Michigan too, it rolled in almost over night. It was in the 40's over the weekend and down to 21 last night and right now it's 32. I hate winters, especially cold ones. I picked the wrong state to live. Michigan winters are long, and cold. Sad

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:07 AM »

14 degrees here in western approaches of Alleghenies this morning.  My Accurite shows weak battery. Always does that when it's cold.

Light skiff of snow on top of yesterday's.
Crisp but roads are clear. Forlorn hope that the rest of winter will stay this way.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 07:15:03 AM »

The Acurite here is reading 29° but it's not accurate some of that is radiated heat from the building. (Always a problem in the winter here.) The Gnome weatherman on my other computer is saying 21° that's from the NWS station at the Kellogg Airport.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »

Down to 29 last night and tonight then 75 by Sunday, Arkansas weather, always changing.  Any outside project never has to be postponed more than a couple of days.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »

Its been cold lately, but the weekend is going to be 60F, so it will be yard work and motorcycle stuff, not radio.
I did switch to the push pull paralell 100TH mod deck for winter, its like a radiant heater...

n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »

Down to 29 last night and tonight then 75 by Sunday, Arkansas weather, always changing.  Any outside project never has to be postponed more than a couple of days.

Just like we used to say in Maryland. "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute"

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »

Yep. Had lows in the mid-20's the last two nights but the forecast is for 77 on Sunday!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

Just like we used to say in Maryland. "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute"

Or as I tell complainers up here:  "If ya don't like the snow and cold, what the hell are you doing in the Northeast?"    Wink

T

I love them all - Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. The dramatic change of seasons is great.  Can't imagine living in a tropical zone where everything stays the same sterile way all the time.  Each his own, caw mawn.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »

Been getting cold here for the Bay Area, no rain yet which is good for my immediate plans and hope it holds off until the start of December so I can finish my out door work. Winter here is the rainy season, we had a dry winter last year so need to make it up this year.

Snow is what I see on the mountains after a cold winter rain storm which is fine for me. I was raised in SE Massachusetts and don't miss that winter adventure at all!!
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 01:33:10 AM »

Its been cold lately, but the weekend is going to be 60F, so it will be yard work and motorcycle stuff, not radio.
I did switch to the push pull paralell 100TH mod deck for winter, its like a radiant heater...

I haven't had the motorcycle out for a couple weeks, I hope GA weather allows a few more trips before the constant cold sets in.  Can't wait for spring.  I love Daylight Savings Time, but I dislike Daylight Wasting Time.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »

Western Pa. getting the roller coaster ride. Heading towards the upper 60's for the weekend and snow on Monday.
I'll look at the near 50F days to take a jab at some antenna projects and hide in the heat when the low temps hit.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »

We're also expecting wx in the mid to upper 50s this weekend. it's 36 right now in SW Michigan.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »

Well, todays weather killed off most of the snow. And I finished re stringing my 10m closeline dipole. Its wild how the 'rope' turns to white dust when it dies.

On to the 160m eL, its going to rain Monday, so I gots to gets to it.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015