The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:19:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10-16-2013 Nice Stable Band Opening Today  (Read 7072 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: October 16, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »

The band was in fine shape today. I started up at around 11 AM (east coast time) and had easy listening contacts right up until around 2 PM. Worked the following stations on AM between 21.420 and 21.430:

K0DAN - Dan in Missouri
KF5FWU - Billy in Mississippi
KK4KCW - Rich in Alabama
CO2LL - Luis in Havana Cuba
K5WLT - Ronnie in Texas
K1AO - Bob in Connecticut (about 6 miles away)

Signals ranged from around S-7 to 20 dB over S-9. As I was shutting down several other stations were calling but I had to exit stage left kind of quickly. Pretty decent propagation even though the A index was sitting at about 14 with the K index at around 2. My observation has been that when those two numbers stray more than a few points apart the upper bands seem to go to sleep.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »

Hi Rob,

Which band are you refering to? I'm away on busness right now. I suspect, from my location, Hearing english spoken on the short wave bands would require an opening.

I hope to have some time soon to try some of your HPSDR skins with my Hermes.

Mike
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »

Disregard, I see now you posted in the 15 meter news section. Sounds like a nice opening.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »

Hi Mike,

There were some very big signals up and down the 15 meter band today. I did not hear anything from across the pond though, and the path up to the northwest (VE6CQ territory) was not really lighting up too well.

I didn't know that you put together a Hermes based rig. Very nice stuff! I'm looking at the ANAN 100 (Hermes based) and the ANAN 100-D (Angelia based) and sorting out the feature differences between the two. I really like the whole open-source software approach of the HPSDR stuff and I'm watching to see how CUSDR develops as it matures. I haven't really encountered anyone who has been unhappy with any of the ANAN stuff.

Yes, go ahead and raid the HPSDR skins. That page has been accessed pretty heavily once the address got out there and the more it gets hit the better! Hope to catch you on the air!

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015