The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:44:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCT 12 2013 Parachute Mobile AM ops, 3885 KHz over Byron CA  (Read 3904 times)
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« on: October 04, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »

I used to wonder if BC 611 WW2 walkie talkies were ever used by paratroopers during descent to talk to people on the ground. I've found historical info that they were used in gliders, but never could find anything verifying in flight use by descending paratroopers. Accordingly, this won't be a re-enactment, just a fun proof of concept demonstrating what might have been possible.

On Oct 12 2013 sometime between noon and sunset I and a group of fellow ham skydivers will be jumping from 14,000 ft over Byron CA and working hams attending the ARRL PACIFICON convention in Santa Clara, about 60 miles away. We will be using 2M HTs. See www.parachutemobile.com. With any luck we should get 3 or 4 jumps that afternoon. We will also be doing APRS telemetry of our GPS data and also heart rate and blood oxygen level (SpO2) data. You will be able to see this on www.aprs.fi using jumper callsign (AF6IM or KF6WRW) as the search term.

Timing is approximate because as licensed skydivers we only pay $21 to jump. Tandem jumpers pay about 10x, so guess who gets boarding priority? We are ballast used to fill in empty spaces when they can't fill the plane with tandems. From takeoff to jump run is about 18 minutes and hang time under canopy, if we open high, is about 12 or 13 minutes.

Time, weather and gear permitting, I Mark Meltzer AF6IM and Bob Burmeister AG6QL will attempt a BC 611 to BC 611 parachute mobile QSO. I'll carry my BC 611, exit at 14,000 ft and deploy my parachute after a few seconds of free fall. I'll remove my helmet and stow it, take the 611 out of a pouch, extend that long antenna in front of me and pray that I dont drop the 611 while attempting to work AG6QL and whoever else might show up on the freq. 3885 KHz AM. AG6QL will be on the DZ at Byron CA.

This might set a few records but the history of parachute radio comms is spotty and others may have preceded us. Possible firsts:

1. First vacuum tube rig  to vacuum tube rig parachute to ground 2 way comm. (someone did vaccum tube parachute mobile circa 1920s, but it was one way broadcasting by a news reporter parachutist)

2. First BC 611 to BC 611 parachute to ground comm. (this may be a first)

3. First parachute to ground HF comm. (a year ago we flew a PSK 31 beacon operating on 20M but nobody copied us, lousy propagation that day).

It would be thrilling if some SF Bay Area AM ops worked me on the way down, but they'd have to be patient as the jump timing is very approximate. If any SF Bay Area CA area AM ops are serious about arranging a QSO email me at af6im@arrl.net and I'll exchange phone numbers and call when we are about to jump.

Jump time estimates will be broadcast on our 2M PACIFICON working frequency, see parachute mobile website above for the latest info.

We will have very special QSL cards for all  AM contacts and even for any SWLs who can provide content info verifying that they heard our comms. Here is a past event QSL card as an example.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.michaelgregg.com/images/QSL-AF6IM.png&imgrefurl=http://www.michaelgregg.com/images/&h=644&w=1001&sz=1893&tbnid=f_6c_E_wL6WCVM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=140&zoom=1&usg=__lRPMSu8yX8i5uM1HZVJ4YdhAKpI=&docid=gQkHRBUMubsr-M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PT9UUrfQL-GdiALm64G4Bw&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBg

We will make a very special one for any AM contacts on 3885 KHz. I'll try to get some air to air photos of me using the BC 611.

All hams are welcome to stop by the DZ and hang out with the Parachute Mobile gang. Directions are here: www.bayareaskydiving.com

If you have a mobile rig with HF AM capability we'd be especially pleased to see you.

It's a long shot, but it will be fun to try. If it doesnt work out on Oct 12 we will resked and post info here.

Mark
AF6IM
In the air, On the air.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015