The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:39:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7285 QRM - Sounds more like 11 Meters  (Read 10060 times)
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« on: September 22, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »

I was listening in this morning while cleaning up the shack. The foul-mouthed intentional broadcasting and QRM was terrible.

Is this the new normal?
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »

what time was that? That freq is generally clean until late afternoon when China radio comes on. Where they swearing and such?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »

Somewhere around 11ish this morning. MF was thrown around quite a bit and some lid repeating over and over "AM window" "QRM" etc
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »

MF and such wouldn't be coming from foreign BC.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a pirate who decided to venture into new territory.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

Pirate? Not likely. Just more of the same. There's absolutely nothing 'new' about it, and it's not band or mode-specific. Amateur radio has lids, simple as that. Just give a listen on 75m most any night of the week. It's been discussed here many times. Later disruptions even showed that some were reading this board looking for confirmation.

Best thing to do is ignore them and continue on. If you're in QSO, do as Don/K4KYV has always said and turn up the wick. If you're working a low power station who can't overcome the noise, simply sign off saying "Got a call" or "The wife's home". Something like that. Or you could always go the other route and be the fool who acknowledges them by saying "Can't hear ya Bill, some idiot is throwing carrier and it's wiping you out" Then go on of course to explain how much it irritates you, etc. Instant gratification for the mentally challenged, and extremely encouraging to someone who craves attention enough to disrupt someone else's conversation.

BTW, I'm in the middle of CB country here in 4 land and it never sounds that bad. At worst it's a bunch of wanna be channel master types trying to out strap each other. Still very fond of using 'handles' and recycled trucker lingo, to be sure. Makes a good beacon for 10m, though when the band is in 10 is usually a ghost town in comparison.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »

you said it perfectly, Todd .... worst thing ya kin do is to let 'em know they are getting to ya ...keep 'em guessing  Huh Huh Huh

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »

Right on, Todd. Ignore and overcome!

Definitely not broadcast, pirate or otherwise. Sounded youngish (everyone is from my perspective Cry) and was familiar with "Q Talk".

It sounds as if  I have been lucky in the past as I have only run across this on 14.300 or 14.313, I forget which.

I'm not trying to star a range war; simply an observation!

Jack
WA2OLZ
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »

Yup, ignoring LIDS that do this kind of stuff always works best!

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015