The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRL Globe Champian 300  (Read 7784 times)
w0vt

« on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »

I just acquired a WRL Globe Champion 300 for restoration.  Can anyone on here tell me what color the cabinet should be?  It looks like someone sprayed it with some silver paint.  I have no idea what the factory color was on this transmitter.  It is a 300 model, not even a 300A.  The meter has me a little concerned too.  It is very orange in color on the meter face.  I think it came with a orange looking meter but this one is really orange to almost a dark orange.  It's in the back seat of my car on the way back home to Texas so I can't light it up nor do I want to at this paoint.  The rig has not been used in over 25 years and I think it has been abused.  It's missing the finals but I have acquired a pair, or at least I think I have.  I do need to find a couple 809 tubes for the modulator as they are missing too.  If anyone has a pair they would part with,  I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Lee, w0vt
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Hey Lee,

I think they call it "Hammer tone", Textured but not
Wrinkled. Kind of smooth and bumpy. Just a hair lighter
than "Machinery Grey".  The finals should be AX9909's.
4X150's (With socket change) will work FB too.

GL with that,

/Dan
w0vt

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

Dan,

Are you guessing or have you actually seen a 300 cabinet?  The reason I ask is I want to duplicate what was on the cabinet originally.  Right now it has an aluminum spray looking finish.  It has no texture or Hammertone effect to it.  I do know what Hammertone looks like and have used it a lot in the past.  The present finish could be original but I just can't tell one way or another.  The paint job is pretty scratched up and I need to do a little "body work" on it before I refinish it.  I just want to put a finish on the cabinet as close to original as possible based on someone who knows for sure what the finish should be like.  So Dan, do you have one or have you seen one?  I'd be interested in knowing what you know about the finish.  I don't have a clue when it comes to Globe Champs.  I know a lot more about Globe Scouts!

Lee, w0vt
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

The color and finish should be about the same as you've seen on a Scout.

w0vt

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »

Thanks for the picture.  This is a great help. I see that it is Hammertone silver gray. From your shot it is obvious someone sprayed mine with silver paint.  As for Globe Scouts, there were many versions of paint schemes based on the different types of Globe Scouts. I think the nicest looking was their 40A with a Bud cabinet painted in a blue/gray wrinkle finish.

Lee, w0vt
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »

Greetings and congrats on the new 300!
It is a fine rig and several mods can make it an even better one (just like
a Valiant and others)

I've restored many...among the mods I've done are converting the finals (that are
RARE) to 4X150A's and the modulators to 811A's (or 572B)

BUT remember these rules (laws):
The limiting factors of any rig are the Power Supply & the output tank components.
(input circuits & driver are also to be considered).

Let's start with the P.S.

The GC 300 (and 350) have a pair of chokes in parallel to accommodate the
current demand. IF you EXCEED that total amperage added between the
modulator & the final...POOF
Even if you solid state the PS...POOF... those little chokes are weak links...I typically
put a single 500 mA choke in there with more "C"

811A & 572B modulators draw more filament current...beware...!

Finals...yea, the 9909's are cool...but like V70D's in GK 400's unless you have
2-3 PAIR on the shelf, convert it to 4X150A's...Fair Radio has a RF "plate"
that bolts in nicely...it is from a T-195 I think...
(get a few spare tubes)

NOW, the important part...that little PS is crap. Look at the manual.
It will state the TOTAL mA of current the rig will supply (add the mA of RF running
AM for the final & the MAX mA of current mA for the modulator; this is the
MAXIMUM that little PS can give...)
SO, if it says 450 mA TOTAL..that is it...
unless you want to build an outboard PS good for more current...but then you gotta
look at the RF TANK circuit...it is only designed for a limiting factor...you exceed that
and POOF....

IF I had one of these, I'd do these mods in a heartbeat...they are well worth it...
just follow the guidelines...
es good luck
w8tow

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

.  As for Globe Scouts, there were many versions of paint schemes based on the different types of Globe Scouts. I think the nicest looking was their 40A with a Bud cabinet painted in a blue/gray wrinkle finish.

Correct on the finishes. I was thinking of a 680 I owned, which had the same finish.
w0vt

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »

Steve, W8TOW,

Thanks for all the info on the Champ.  I'll make good use of your info.  I looked at Hammond chokes and found they make one at:  5H@300ma, 10H@300ma, 10H@500ma, and 5H@500ma.  I am still on my trip, so I can't measure what will fit in place of the two 7H@200ma original chokes.  I'm suspecting you either used the 5H or 10H 500ma choke.  (I don't know if the larger 10H one will physically fit).  Maybe you used the 5 H one and made up for the 2h loss by increasing the C.  I'm thinking maybe that is what you did.  I'm almost sure I will take your advice and replace the choke.  I would also hope maybe the 300ma chokes would fit too and you could use two of them to give you 600ma capacity.  Again,  I'll have to see what actually will fit as a replacement for the originals.  You might tell me which choke you actually used.  I'll be home Sunday night with the transmitter now riding in my trunk.  Then I can finally start analyzing what I am dealing with here.

Lee, w0vt
w0vt

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »

NQ5T,

Those pictures were really helpful as they make it very clear what type finish was on the cabinet.  I'll duplicate your original "look."   Thanks for taking the time downloading and sending them to me.

Lee, w0vt
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »

Hey Lee,

Is this Champ destined to be another shelf queen like the KW-1? I am really wishing you will use this rig on our weekend 40m 7160 QSO's. The Rice box at 20 watts and mobile mic is very yellowy and PW.  Roll Eyes

Jim
WD5JKO
w0vt

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »

Jim,

No shelf queen here!  I plan to get right on it when I am back home which will be next week.  I sure hope the iron is OK in the rig.  I got it FREE, so I have some wiggle room for expenses which are already adding up.  I bought some final tubes, modulator tubes, plate cap aluminum bar stock, looking for some SS 1N2637 rectifiers, looking at a replacement upgrade choke, new dial cover, and hopefully a new front panel.  I have not even peaked inside it yet but know the finals and modulator tubes are missing.  The prior owner said the rig was not on the air for over 25 years.  I know plenty of caps need changing and most likely resistors too.  Ex owner said it might need a TOTAL rebuild.  I am thinking the worst and the chassis might have to be stripped down and re-plated then built up from scratch.  All this might take more then a few days!  If the transformers need rewinding,  I'll have something to tell you about when we are on the air with my mighty Globe Scout.  (As I rewind them, I'll give you a "blow by blow" description of the process, during our QSOs.)  (For others reading this I made a 4 hour transmission to Jim around 25 years ago on how to rewind a transformer.  I think I described each turn in the process.)

So Jim,  you can see I have a "Cream Puff" Champ 300 "screaming" to be put back on the air here.  A guy once told me, "She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but she puts out just fine!"  Well this gal does neither right now.  :-)

Swingin the monkey on 7160

Lee, w0vt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015