The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:17:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this look like COOL junque or what !  (Read 8588 times)
KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

It's 106 Miles To Chicago, We Got A Full Tank Of G

« on: July 30, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »

My pop, who lives in Knoxville...a true southern gentleman, tends to attract a fair amount of odd-ball stuff and knows I have a special place in the ol' thumper for tube stuff. Somewhere along the way (Id bet a yard sell) he picked this pile up for 5 bucks with me in mind. He had given it to me a few years ago, and now anticipating the arrival of my first dedicated AM rig, I am finally taking it out of the box and tallying up the swag-o-meter.

Looks like it was an audio amp at one time, I came up with a hit at Hammond Mfg sight and this may be some pretty cool stuff to do something with.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/125a.htm

Just wondering what this would be good for,  little modulator ? Ive got a few 6L6's laying around.

What would YOU do with this pile of crap ?

It's 106 Miles To Chicago, We Got A Full Tank Of Gas, Half A Pack Of Cigarettes, It's Dark And We're Wearing Sunglasses.

HIT IT !
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »

Well, even though it is some nice "new" parts...I'd put the Hammond iron on the shelf
and mount either Thordarson CHT iron or UTC S series iron...(UTC "LS" is even better!)
For tubes, 6L6's are great...but 2 6AS7's  (which are a pair of 2A3's in each) is a nice
way to go...thus you would have 4 2A3's....!!!

For input, the miniatures are cool, but if this is going to be out where you can
admire it...I'd find some nice ceramic sockets for octal tubes.... and go with
a classic 6SJ7 input, and and a PP triode for the voltage amp stage...like a
triode connected 6V6 or 6F6...
You may connect the stages with a R-C network (complex but cheep) or go with
interstage transformers...(expensive but cool to see)

Get some nice VINTAGE knobs...pre-war stuff...
just my 2 cents!

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »

Scared to dig into the spider hole.......

Ive got options....wish I was smarter, might know what those options were. HA

8908 ? almost a transmitting tube....sigh.

What the heck am I going to do with 14 Western electric 101L's.....

It's 106 Miles To Chicago, We Got A Full Tank Of Gas, Half A Pack Of Cigarettes, It's Dark And We're Wearing Sunglasses.

HIT IT !
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »

No tube is useless.

WE 101L: directly heated low mu, low gain triode, can run on low plate voltages like 50-90V as well as up to 180V, Pd=2W, nice class A amp for 60-80mW, and very linear curves, may also make a nice cathode follower to drive a small grid or a pair as an audio line out. I guess nobody wants 'em but I see several cool potential uses.

8908: clamp tube, bias or screen regulator, special zero bias circuit modulator? Surely, 30-40W dissipation is always good for something and you have spares.

That amplifier looks like a PP 6BQ5 job. 10-15W, good sound. Build 'er back up and find a nice old hi fi speaker for all your SWL pleasure!

101L's and/or any of those tubes you don't want, let me know I'll pay shipping (just don't fill most of the crate with TV set tubes, I have enough thanks). I enjoy working with unusual tubes and will build with them as long as I have plenty of spares.

* WE 101L tube.pdf (101.02 KB - downloaded 306 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »

Ive got a lot to learn !

Just don't have the time hardly (I do what I can when I can) working, raisin', feeding and  maintaining the junk pile. Not to mention trying to retain what Ive spent time reading....Im beginning to think I should have worn a helmet as a kid.

They dang sure aren't making most anymore.

Thanks for de comments Opcom

HIT IT !
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »

I guess nobody wants 'em but I see several cool potential uses.

It's a Western Electric tube, of course somebody out there wants them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Western-Electric-101L-/290948295494    Tongue

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »

Fire cracklin' Jeebus !  Shocked

HIT IT !
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »

Wow I been goin' to the wrong yard sales!..$5 for all that?..agn WOW!..if ya do happen upon some Mullard 12AX7s with the gold plated pins you done struck paydirt!..believe me I know..E-Pay buyers/audiophools eat those up like there's no tommorow..for that matter 6L6s as well.......had 3 of the aforementioned 12AX7 by Mullard..made enough to treat a party of 4 to steaks and drinks no problem.........anyhoo CONGRATS on what I see is a darn nice haul!...73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »

Thanks Dave, but just the dismantled audio amp and tubes were 5 bucks. I wish I paid 5 bucks for the tubes, but I recently had a longtime friend go to the great shack in the sky and those were mostly his.....course IIRC I sold him most of them in the beginning. Funny how stuff makes full circle, Im sure ED (my SK bood-ro) would have been pleased to see them go back to me. He had piddled with radio and audio gear most of his life, and I have the leftover parts bins to prove it !

Ol' Ed had a medical condition you see..... You could get Ed cracking up, and hed flat pass out cold. when he would wake back up he would start up again and go back out ! There were quite a few times, while in conversation, a 2-3 minute "break" would be needed. sure do miss that dude... He was one of the good ones you hear about.

HIT IT !
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »

Scared to dig into the spider hole.......

Me too. I would worry about brown recluse spiders. My older brother almost lost a finger. He's a classical guitar player/instructor.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »

I guess nobody wants 'em but I see several cool potential uses.

It's a Western Electric tube, of course somebody out there wants them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Western-Electric-101L-/290948295494    Tongue

Somebody out there wants to -sell- them for big $..
They go for about $25 in the box or $120 for a 'matched" pair, checking the completed auctions.
It doesn't mean no one will pay the big price but I won't hold my breath on that.

Anyway, rather use and enjoy them than sell 'em if they were in hand, but nothing wrong with selling what isn't needed. Someone enjoying it is what matters. Yep, a use for every tube, every tube has an interesting use one way or another!

KF7WWW

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »

"Anyway, rather use and enjoy them than sell 'em if they were in hand, but nothing wrong with selling what isn't needed. Someone enjoying it is what matters. Yep, a use for every tube, every tube has an interesting use one way or another!"

Ya.. WE 300b's are better suited as voltage regulators anyways...  Grin. J/k
KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 11:09:16 PM »

They pop good when ya nail em' with the ol' .22 ...... Old junky tubes.

Went through the spider box tonight and blew off the mouse poop and evicted the eight legged friends to the back yard.

Chomping at the bit to get the Viking II here, Tubes shipped out today, hope it makes it in good shape.

On a side note, since Ive been browsing here Ive been hearing about a dude in a bus named TimTron. Finally found his archives, been listening all day.

HIT IT !
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 02:23:36 AM »

I'd use a 300B as a VR, but there are better + cheaper tubes for that.

KI4THX
El' Guappo Ernesto

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »

Darn,

Was out in the woods with my boys today, spending some well needed father/sons time when my telephone rings. The guy I bought the Viking II from still has yet to ship. Ive really been anticipating jumping right into this, but it seems my wait will increase slightly.

I seem to have a nice fella wanting me to buy a Ranger also, kinda local so that's nice. Maybe next weekend on that.

Ive been at the Skunkworks lab getting a "franken"-104 put on paper....gonna look like dog poo.... I like it.

Give me a few days on that opcom, Tuesday or so.

Gonna jump back on this Bass.... teaching myself to flog the strings, yes yes,  flog dem' strings.

HIT IT !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015