The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Capable PRC320 Plessey Clansman Manpack  (Read 4586 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: July 02, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

Here is the list

1. UK/RT320, with LSB mod (no drilled holes modification version, switch the RH switch to BATT and it goes to LSB). There is a little circuit board inside that someone installed. This is one of the rare thick finned models (ears). The ears tend to snap off on the thin fin versions. I've also replaced the HV caps in the tuner with higher voltage rated ones. The originals tend to get leaky, and these did. Rig does AM/CW-W/CW-N/LSB/USB. Note that the CW sidetone is 2000 HZ and non-adjustable. Radio needs peaking on 10m as sensitivity is a little down. There is a rotating turret assembly inside with the applicable adjustments outlined in the EMERS (tech manuals). The radio can be easily modded to 160m by repeaking some adjustments on the rotating turret assembly inside the radio.

2. Battery, 4AH, 24V nicad, plastic case. Still holds a charge good, WITH A CHARGER. One of the plastic "ears" broke off and was repaired and repainted. If you want a new battery, the best thing to do is get an old battery case (metal type) and stuff it full of new NIMH cells.

3. Hand generator. Snaps to radio. Then you snap the battery to the charger. Then turn the handle like you're stirring a pot of soup just fast enough to keep the little light illuminated.

4. 3m sectional antenna and spring. The spring just drops into its hole on the radio. The holding nibs inside the hole on the radio are stuck open inside, but this is VERY COMMON.

5. Sun shield.

6. Clansman style handset. Works. Some paint worn off the pressel handle.

7. Leg key.

8. External military speaker, US type, plastic. Works well.

9. Lightweight headset and pressel switch. VERY comfortable.

10. Older Larkspur style handset, which I'll throw in (round ear and mouthpieces, green and red elements, respectively). Its actually almost too hot to use on the radio as it has a very high output.

11. Standard size carry frame. You cannot use the frame with the generator attached; it simply won't fit. This is not the lightweight version.

12. Two dipole elements on winders.

13. Homemade 50 PF "widget" used to resonate the aerial enough on longwires for the internal manual 320 tuna to handle it.

14. I'll throw in a couple of small carry bags with which to store accessories.

One thing to remember is that the tuning scheme the Brits employed was weird. AM and CW work as dialed in. For USB, you would tune in to 14.302 to get 14.300 (add 2 KHZ). For LSB (modded) you would subtract 1.2 KHZ. So to get 3.975, I would dial in 3.973.8. There is a VERY SIMPLE mod to correct the 2 KHZ offset on USB.

Asking 750. You pay shipping.

Getting anything from overseas is a crap-shoot and tends to be expensive after you figure shipping.

I think the radio is rated at 1m immersion for 1 hour. So if it rains, no need to get excited.

Philip KA4KOE

http://www.neidlinger.us/greenies.pdf

* 1014350_10201204560654680_816442624_n.jpg (88.42 KB, 900x569 - viewed 726 times.)

* plessey uk-rt320.jpg (87.27 KB, 434x872 - viewed 697 times.)

* clan.JPG (99.91 KB, 615x896 - viewed 646 times.)

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:40:45 PM »

SOLD.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015