The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC-300  (Read 5263 times)
AE1CT
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:44 AM »

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WAY TO MUTE THE NC-300 RECEIVER OTHER THAN WHAT THE MANUALS SAYS. IM LOOKING FOR A SIMPLER WAY OF DOING IT.
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »

I mute my NC-300 using a single SPST set of Normally Open relay contacts on my homebrew TR switch connected to the STDBY and GND terminals.  That's all you have to do. 

Don't put anything between GND and MUTE either.

The other wiring options shown are for other things, not for T/R switching.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »

What is it about muting per the manual you consider too complex?   Are you wanting to mute just the audio, or mute the entire receiver during transmit?  What control voltages and polarity do you want, or have now?

It's really pretty easy to do, either way.   If you're wanting to both disable the front end and mute the audio its a little more involved but doable without too much effort.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »

Use headphones
AE1CT
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »

What is it about muting per the manual you consider too complex?   Are you wanting to mute just the audio, or mute the entire receiver during transmit?  What control voltages and polarity do you want, or have now?

It's really pretty easy to do, either way.   If you're wanting to both disable the front end and mute the audio its a little more involved but doable without too much effort.
N2ROC TOLD ME THE EASYEST WAY TO DO IT. I PUT THE STANDBY SWITCH IN STBY AND USE THE TERMINALS ON THE BACK TO MUTE BY USING THE STBY AND GND. IT WORKS.  WHEN I TRANSMITT I WANT THE RECEIVER TO GO INTO MUTE, BUT THE MANUAL TALKS ABOUT A -22VOLTS THAT I HAVE TO GET FROM THE TRANSMITTER.
AE1CT
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »

I mute my NC-300 using a single SPST set of Normally Open relay contacts on my homebrew TR switch connected to the STDBY and GND terminals.  That's all you have to do. 

Don't put anything between GND and MUTE either.

The other wiring options shown are for other things, not for T/R switching.
THANK YOU YOUR WAY IS VERY EASY TO USE AND IT WORKS.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »

What is it about muting per the manual you consider too complex?   Are you wanting to mute just the audio, or mute the entire receiver during transmit?  What control voltages and polarity do you want, or have now?

It's really pretty easy to do, either way.   If you're wanting to both disable the front end and mute the audio its a little more involved but doable without too much effort.
N2ROC TOLD ME THE EASYEST WAY TO DO IT. I PUT THE STANDBY SWITCH IN STBY AND USE THE TERMINALS ON THE BACK TO MUTE BY USING THE STBY AND GND. IT WORKS.  WHEN I TRANSMITT I WANT THE RECEIVER TO GO INTO MUTE, BUT THE MANUAL TALKS ABOUT A -22VOLTS THAT I HAVE TO GET FROM THE TRANSMITTER.

On page 4 of the NC-300 manual, Section 2-4, and Figure 2 on page 5, explain the same thing you did. If you wanted to use the grid-block method, you use the -22 volts. It's all there in the manual. No mystery.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »

As Pete indicated, to get to the -22 volt grid block muting method you didn't like, you skipped right over the simple switch method suggested by WA2ROC.   

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015