The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:39:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National NC-303 Questions  (Read 4438 times)
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« on: May 03, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »

Yesterday I picked up a NC-303 and matching speaker. I'm pretty sure the cabinet was painted at some time in the past, and not very well at that. It looks to be almost silver on the top, very dark gray on the bottom with a non-wrinkle finish. It also appears there may have at some time been a divider between the two colors, based on two holes on each side of the cabinet. Fortunately, the front panel was left unmolested.

Question 1: Did the original receiver cabinet colors match t he two colors of the front panel? If so, maybe I can paint match.

Question 2: Was the cabinet originally smooth or wrinkle finish? I found lots of NC-300 variation info by serial number, but nothing for the NC-303. The serial number of mine is 524-0867.

Question 3: was there some sort of metal strip on the side of the cabinet where the colors separate? If so, was it metal, rubber or whatever and was it chrome or what color?

I know, I know, I am obsessing again!

Thanks and 73
Jack
WA2OLZ
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »

Question 1: Did the original receiver cabinet colors match t he two colors of the front panel? If so, maybe I can paint match.

** Grey and black, not always the same with each production run. You should be able to find some of the original on the inside.

Question 2: Was the cabinet originally smooth or wrinkle finish? I found lots of NC-300 variation info by serial number, but nothing for the NC-303. The serial number of mine is 524-0867.

** AFIK wrinkle only

Question 3: was there some sort of metal strip on the side of the cabinet where the colors separate? If so, was it metal, rubber or whatever and was it chrome or what color?

** Stainless steel with push-on clips....sorta like auto trim

Carl
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »

NC-303 pictures: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=national+nc-303&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=national+nc-303&sc=4-15&sp=-1&sk=

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »

OK - thanks, guys. I'm thinking  black wrinkle finish, well cured, followed by black / gray oil-based final coats. Maybe one of those paint-sprayer kits from Preval and some auto body shop matched paint with thinner would be the way to go.

Now on to the chrome strips down the side of the cabinet...... It's a real long shot but does anyone know where to score a pair? If not, a closeup photo with dimensions would sure be helpful.

The chassis of the rig if dust filthy but I have never had any luck other than bad when trying to clean them up. I usually end up with an non-functional rig so I think I will run it dirty for now  Sad

Peter, some day we have to get together so you can show me a bunch of tricks!

Jack
WA2OLZ
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »

For chrome strips, you can try some auto parts suppliers for chrome auto molding strips. There's several vendors on ebay selling self adhesive chrome molding/trim strips. You might also check with vendors that sell building supplies for kitchens and bathrooms for chrome molding/trim strips.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Is it a simple strip of aluminum trim or is it rounded or formed in some manner? What is the width?

I know it matters not at all but if I can approach the original look it would be preferred.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:39:09 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/National-NC-300-Communications-Receiver-/230946759896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c57fe4d8#ht_1596wt_1012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-National-NC-303-Tube-Ham-Radio-am-ssb-cw-Receiver-w-Speaker-/200837788304?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Receivers&hash=item2ec2dd7290#ht_229wt_1012

These 2 links show side trim detail

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

I really should have thought of that! Thanks very much.

By the way, I believe I hear you every now and then on the K2ETS 2 meter repeater. I'll give a call next time I hear you on the air.

Jack
WA2OLZ
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

Is it a simple strip of aluminum trim or is it rounded or formed in some manner? What is the width?

Did you even read what I posted earlier?
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »

Sure, and appreciate it very much. My follow-up was supposed to be clarifying, if not very well, if it was a simple strip, ridged, rounded, etc.

Thanks, too, for the original paint info

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015