The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:43:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's With Free TV  (Read 28790 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »

MEtv out of Cleveland on channel 19.2 weeknights;

8PM - Gillligan
8:30- Gilligan
9PM-  Hogan's Heros
9:30PM- F Troop

Fun free schtuff!
K2PG

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »

Dave,

I looked at the spectrum analyzer plot I did last summer and I can see the rf on Ch 49 but it is about 19 dB below what the TV will detect.

The WWSI transmitter is at the Jersey Shore in Little Egg Harbor Township, about 3 miles from my house in NJ. That's about 60 miles southeast of Philly.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »

Dave,

I looked at the spectrum analyzer plot I did last summer and I can see the rf on Ch 49 but it is about 19 dB below what the TV will detect.

The WWSI transmitter is at the Jersey Shore in Little Egg Harbor Township, about 3 miles from my house in NJ. That's about 60 miles southeast of Philly.

Not anymore although the site is still a backup. Now it's in the middle of the woods in Waterford Works, N.J.

* WWSI41dBucontour.png (1450.69 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 314 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »

I picked up a DTV converter to get some OTA stuff. I was able to pick up 4 channels in the shack which is in the basement and the QTH is in a valley. On the 2nd floor was able to get 22 channels. Both levels with a pair of rabbit ears.  I'm intrigued now to go the next step and put ant in either the attic or attach it to something else a bit higher.

Looking at antennas on the net I'm confused. There are a lot of space age looking ants with some nice price tags and then there is the good ole stand by yagi type.  I'm leaning toward a yagi type instead of the hokey space age looking things.  

I'm tossed between going with a rotator or going with a couple more directional types pointed in the appropriate directions and combining signals to single feedline. Either way I think I can double my channels.

Anyone have any advice on ants?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KL7OF

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »

Make your own ...there are several simple antenna designs on the web....I made the broomstick and coat hanger model and I get 12 channels from 30 miles away
KA2DZT

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »

I picked up a DTV converter to get some OTA stuff. I was able to pick up 4 channels in the shack which is in the basement and the QTH is in a valley. On the 2nd floor was able to get 22 channels. Both levels with a pair of rabbit ears.  I'm intrigued now to go the next step and put ant in either the attic or attach it to something else a bit higher.

Looking at antennas on the net I'm confused. There are a lot of space age looking ants with some nice price tags and then there is the good ole stand by yagi type.  I'm leaning toward a yagi type instead of the hokey space age looking things.  

I'm tossed between going with a rotator or going with a couple more directional types pointed in the appropriate directions and combining signals to single feedline. Either way I think I can double my channels.

Anyone have any advice on ants?

Forget using more than one antenna.  Combining signals sounds like a great idea but it doesn't work the way you may think.  Use a rotor if the stations are in different directions.  Most stations are on UHF but in most areas the upper VHF is also used.

So, what antennna should you use??  Wineguard probably makes the better ones that are still on the market.  They make a series that are UHF/upperVHF (no lower VHF, no chs2-6). 

Where are you located??

Stark Electronic Supply sells them on the net, they're located in Ma.

IIRC I think it's the 76 series antennas.

I installed TV antenna systems for about 45 yrs.

Fred
W4EWH

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »

I recommend you check the available stations, and especially their actual channel assignments and locations. The DTV world has so many "virtual" channels that it's easy to get confused (I am) about which station is really where.

I'm tossed between going with a rotator or going with a couple more directional types pointed in the appropriate directions and combining signals to single feedline.

You might not need a rotator, since there's usually an antenna farm where most of the stations congregate. In the Boston area, pretty much everyone is in one place, so I was able to just point an antenna at the farm, and leave it there.

HTH.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »

This and google maps werked fer me. At least you know where the stations are located.

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

klc

* at my QTH.jpg (19.41 KB, 278x181 - viewed 301 times.)

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »

I've looked at several signal strength and bearing maps including the one by the FCC. I'm getting more than what they are telling me even with just plain rabbit ears. There's this one: www.tvfool.com which seems a bit more detailed.

I think I will go with the good ole stand by and put a Winegard or Channel Master in the attic on a rotator.  Agree on the combining of multiple ants  aspect.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015