The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I clean without damaging original wiring  (Read 3670 times)
kv5i

Me & best friend John-W5ZKT(SK)

« on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:44 AM »

I am working on a Collins 32v. After all these years it is discolored to the point of not being able to tell the color code. Any advice on what and how to use, to retain the original wiring?
Thanks,
ed-kv5i

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,<br />Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. <br />- Hamlet (1.5.166-7), Hamlet to Horatio
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »

Some old wiring with waxy material will come back to color with application of heat. Also some WD40 may help, but that isn't so good either. An old guy I knew used to take a propane torch and pass it along the harness. A lighter under a wire, on old transformers, to bring the colors out. These are probably not good suggestions and much wire insulation isn't the old waxy type.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »

The propane torch is also a great way to let the smoke out. Wink Wink
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »

About a half and half mixture of 409 and Ammonia (cleaning type) and a paint brush.
Liberally apply/scrub and rinse off withe a hose.
Remove any meters and try not to spray water directly into any transformers/I.F. cans.
Bake in oven on WARM setting (190F) for 2 hrs.
Did that to many 32V's and Rangers when I was doing some piece work for Howard Mills W3HM. Chassis and wiring looks like new.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
wa3dsp

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

You will have to experiment to make sure there is no problem but I have had great results with Krud Kutter available at Lowes and other places. It is a green product but a very good cleaner. I spray down the entire chassis being careful not to get it in transformers, IF's etc.  On really dirty areas I use a stiff brush. Then I use a sprayer in a sink and very hot water and rinse with that. Always let things dry for a day or two in a warm area before applying power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015