The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:42:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember The AM Bcast Days  (Read 31255 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »

WKBW became my favorite as a steady signal and great sound. My hope on the Winter weekends was for cloudy nights, thinking that made a better receive. I would listen on my Dad's Philco Transitone with 2 car radio 6X9's hooked up to the output. Facing into the corner where my bed was located, created a nice bass response.

And Paul, I remember, from your pics, that huge old building. A continuous metal shield for a ground plane and in the center of the AM band?? 1200?? 1KW got out pretty well.
I was lusting for a Bcast TX at that time and the owners still thought their old boxes were assets and not willing to "give-away" anything. They revamped the entire station at the WEAM site. All new studios and the Nautel 20KW? It was awesome to see the AMPS meter swinging with the modulation.

Fred KC4MOP
VE3AJM

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »

As a kid listening to 930 AM WBEN in Buffalo NY late night from my listening QTH near Toronto Ontario,with a radio under my pillow.

The CBS Radio Mystery Theatre hosted by E.G. Marshall. Theatre of the mind at its best at the time for me. It was on nightly after 11pm, and the late sports report with Mr. Stan Barron, who was the colour man on the Buffalo Bills radio broadcasts along with Van Miller.

Al VE3AJM

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:57 PM »

As far as I know, the Grand Ole Opry is and always was on Saturday night. WSM does have something called the Opry Show on other nights of the week now.

Other stations had similar shows in the past like The Wheeling Jamboree on WWVA, The National Barn Dance on WLS, The Louisiana Hayride on KWKH and The Old Dominion Barn Dance on WRVA.
W4AAB

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »

The Grand Ole Opry is still on every Saturday night. They are the true Legend of Country Music. For the story of rock-n-roll radio and the jocks who became legends, There is a book called" Pied Pipers of Rock and Roll". I am sure you can google it.
                                       Joe W4AAB
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

Rats in my room
I am bothered by those rats in my room;
I would rather have some gnats in my room
Instead of all those awful rats in my room.

klc

What? Me worry?
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »

Rats in my room
I am bothered by those rats in my room;
I would rather have some gnats in my room
Instead of all those awful rats in my room.
Who said or sang that....damn...I can't remember, but I think it was an AM jock.  Joey Reynolds maybe?  Or was it Frank Zappa?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:43 AM »

I Googled "rats in my room" and found a video with that song by Joey Reynolds and Danny Neaverth.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

I Googled "rats in my room" and found a video with that song by Joey Reynolds and Danny Neaverth.
Man, I was right..without Googling even...amazing what useless stuff one can pull out of the gray matter..of course I forgot to take to work what I was going to have for lunch not two minutes after coming up with Joey Reynolds!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA3VJB
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »

Is Hybrid Digital foiding awoy?

http://stateofthemedia.org/2013/audio-digital-drives-listener-experience/

Interesting report from a non-profit research group on the trends in radio broadcasting and the broader category of "listenership."

Among the findings, stations dropping "HD Radio" transmission in 2012 outnumber those that signed up.

The report notes it is the first time that's happened since 2004, after Ibiquity launched "Hybrid Digital"  (putting a telemetry stream on top of existing AM & FM signals).

Each page/topic in the discussion has a hotlink for the numbers and methodology of the research.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 06:42:17 AM »

No one wants to pay Ibiquity the monthly fee if there are no sets out there to decode the signal.  There are stations still running it but for other reasons (now we're into rumors  Shocked )

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 07:08:22 AM »

Deja vu all over again.

AM Stereo
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

huh uh, won't go away.
Gov uses it to transmit behaviour stats to aliens. Shhhh.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »

maybee to advertize fud stamps.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »

I grew up in the Hartford - Connecticut market when WDRC battled WPOP for the youthful audience. I do remember a phase where I listened to WKBW in Buffalo at night to catch Joey Reynolds. My first AM DXing awareness happened when WWVA from Wheeling, West Virginia came strapping in at night. The world must have been a bigger place back then because that seemed like quite an event to be able hear something that far away. It seemed like everyone in the neighborhood that was my age listened to AM radio back then.

I still catch a run of the news on 880 WCBS in NY each morning and will also catch Prairie Home Companion on 640 NPR now and then. At this point, very few people in my area have anything that will receive AM radio in their homes. During the big storm up here in October 2011 we lost power for 6 days and there was no cable, phone, or internet for 11 days. All the cell phone sites were dead. Except for their car radios, no one in the neighborhood had portable AM radios. It was very strange to watch kids walking around in the road waving their cell phones in the air trying to catch a signal. I passed out a few old portable AM radios to a few neighbors and it was their only source of news during that time. It was kind of a revelation that for all practical purposes, AM radio is dead with the <40 age demographic. Most have no clue about area AM programming and they could care less about HD radio on the AM or FM band. It will probably all just fade away due to lack of interest. The internet, cable, satellite television and wireless device technology are burying AM and FM broadcasting for all practical purposes.

Ah well, they all don't know what they missed...

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 06:22:46 AM »

That would have been something to video and upload to youtube. The neighbors looking at this strange box that is called a portable radio and it talks to you.

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »

Really, Fred !
I was thinking the same thing after Rob's post: "What'll they think of next!"

The imagery of kids waving their cellphones around looking for signal is poignant too.

That would have been something to video and upload to youtube. The neighbors looking at this strange box that is called a portable radio and it talks to you.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »

ya Paul,
We are a weird generation of guys and gals who talk into a microphone and have these huge boxes with dials and meters, and wires all over the property hanging in trees, to talk to someone with static and distortion.
Maybe my son will see the excitement of it, so I can pass it on to him........dunno
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

" The imagery of kids waving their cellphones around looking for signal is poignant too. "

Kinda like ants waving their ants around....  (no pun intended)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmz1ECDbMSs

" Maybe my son will see the excitement of it, so I can pass it on to him........dunno "

Maybee try making an event out of it, specifically for him. How to do this, I dunno.

klc

What? Me worry?
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »

How many BCB stations today do you think even know what a QSL card is or would spend the time to type out a letter of verification to a kid who sent a signal report and comments on their programming?

* img368.jpg (1131.72 KB, 1691x3053 - viewed 490 times.)

* img369.jpg (1413.85 KB, 1847x3222 - viewed 523 times.)

* img370.jpg (980.11 KB, 1740x3042 - viewed 474 times.)

AMI #20, GACW #786
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »

A few others I found. Still do BCB dxing, mostly with my HQ-129X, which is really great on the BCB.

WBT is Charolette, NC, KMOX is St. Louis, The others I posted I think you can see the QTH.

Our local station is KPIN, Pinedale, Wyoming but it's FM, oldies, country music, local programming and kids in Pinedale do the station ids.

* img371.jpg (1173.02 KB, 2459x1914 - viewed 493 times.)

* img372.jpg (1152.52 KB, 2130x3138 - viewed 474 times.)

* img373.jpg (1751.69 KB, 2459x3275 - viewed 451 times.)

AMI #20, GACW #786
K9PNP

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »

maybee to advertize fud stamps.... ..

klc

Naw.  They use it to advertise free cell phones.  That way less people need broadcast radio access.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »

Wow! You have some nice QSLs from some classic clear channel stations Marty. Thanks for sharing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015