The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:54:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio in the movies  (Read 3929 times)
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« on: March 18, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »

Came across this movie the other night and recorded it: "Everybody's Hobby"  from 1939. Teenage son gets Ham license and helps fighting a forest fire. Pretty accurate operating dialog. Not an outstanding movie, but fun.,

K2CU
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »

THat must have been the beginning of the magical time of radio for many.
It was a fascinating thing to own a radio and to be able to talk to others.

I think the 70's Ham radio was becoming old time. But there seems to be some growth in the last year....................30,000?

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »

Amateur Radio Station Licenses
Jan. 2010 - 683,583
Jan. 2009 - 664,272
Jan. 2008 - 655,952

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »

The last time I was in the testing center I realized that most of these people where testing because Work required it.  They will most likely never use a radio.  The woman and man I talked to, said they dont use radios at all but work required them to take the test and hold the license.

There was a website that someone posted a while back that would show all hams in your area.. You could type in your address and it then displayed a map.  I was shocked to learn there was hams all over this neighborhood.. But no antennas.... ODD

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »

Maybe antennas in the attic, stealth type antennas, only operate mobile, MM, or only operate portable. Could be lots of reasons why there isn't 9000 yards of wire strung all over the back yard  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:30 PM »

The last time I was in the testing center I realized that most of these people where testing because Work required it.  They will most likely never use a radio.  The woman and man I talked to, said they dont use radios at all but work required them to take the test and hold the license.

There was a website that someone posted a while back that would show all hams in your area.. You could type in your address and it then displayed a map.  I was shocked to learn there was hams all over this neighborhood.. But no antennas.... ODD

C

This site is nice.

http://www.vanityhq.com/

What? Me worry?
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »

I watched "The Boys From Brazil", 1978, for the first time this past week.  Stars Gregory Peck as Dr. Mengele who has cloned Hitler 94 times, and Sir Lawrence Olivier as Lieberman the Nazi hunter hot on Mengele's trail.  The boys are being raised around the world. 

In one scene in Mengele's living room in Brazil,  he mentions the capability of radio communications to James Mason who plays the group's security officer.  There is a credenza and at the left end is a Knight kit T-60 transmitter.  No companion receiver spotted.  No antennas seen.

The movie ends in Lancaster County PA of all places.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015