The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:01:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Push to Talk for the Gonset G-50?  (Read 3190 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: February 28, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »

Has anyone done this conversion, or do you have information on how to accomplish the mods?  Gonset typically had a ton of switched circuits in going from transmit to receive.  Probably will require a couple of relays to accomplish this.  It may be a mechanical/physical nightmare to do it as well.  Just looking for input rather than re-inventing the wheel.  It would be nice to just parallel the transmit receive switch contacts with relay contacts and be able to maintain the original T-R switching as well as use the PTT. 

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »

Jack,

Like most other Gonset rigs that thing has so many contacts that you might be better off using a solenoid to mechanically drive the existing switch Smiley

I thought about adding PTT when I was restoring my G28/G50 pair several years ago but decided for the amount of hours they are on the air each year I would spend more time trying to neatly install PTT than I would use the rigs in a couple of years.

Please do share your findings.

Rodger WQ9E
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »

Yes Jack, there was someone who did a lot of modifications who answered a similar question for me on this BB. I am posting this response hoping he'll come back in and reply. I had a major computer crash about two months ago and lost all the good data he provided. So who ever you are...Please come back in Grin Grin

I'm rather sure he did a PTT system as well as a lot of mods to the audio.

I also had a G-50. I just did a search and a lot of stuff showed up but can't find the mods??

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

A place to start might be to review the PTT circuitry used in the Communicator III or IV.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »

Jack,

The Ledex company is still around. They make electrical actuating rotary solenoids. Here is one document from them that might be applicable:

http://www.ledex.com/pdf/Ledex_Shortform.pdf

I can see one of these spaced off the front panel, and fastened to some stout standoffs. The idea is to remove that Gonset knob, add a coupling, and attach the Ledex to it.

If you are interesting in audio mods to the G-50, I have been down that road...You cannot go too far until that Heising choke is removed because the combination of three tubes plate current going through it results in it saturating at audio frequencies much lower then 500 hz. I will attach a diagram here as an FYI.

Jim
WD5JKO

* G50.jpg (37.98 KB, 726x656 - viewed 349 times.)
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »

I recall something like 14 contacts needed for PTT on the G50.  A mixture of NO and NC contacts.  It is a big task to get PTT on this radio.  Don't even bother unless the band switch is toast. 

Pete W1VZR told me that he once did in fact do a PTT for someone who had to have it.  I think he said it took 4 relays Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh and the Communicators are not at all like the G50.  Some similarity as far as the audio, but that is about it.  The PTT and power supplies of both series are as different as night and day.

So keep reaching for that blue knob to TX.  Just talk longer and switch less...the old buzzard motto. Cool Cool

My .02

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015