The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transceiver thru airport security  (Read 6468 times)
WB2G
Contributing

« on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »

First time doing this.I am taking an Icom IC-746Pro  to Belize with me.I planned to do it as a carry on.It will be packed in a padded  Samsonite bag that was made for an old NEC projector(fits great). Any suggestions or ideas on how to make this as easy as possible thru  security.Thanks.Joe WB2G

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

Insure it.

A lesson: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/vintage-gibson-guitar-delta-baggage-leevees-214634001.html

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2ZE
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »

www.tsa.gov

The best thing is to make sure all the cords are packed neat and easy to look at, and remove from the bag. Place in its own bin if it fits, and open the bag before it goes through the screener. If not, pass it through as luggage, and TSA will open it with you standing there to question you about it. Have a copy of your license with you to prove your an amateur operator.
I have taken expensive equipment with me through TSA screening without incident, so long as all items are neatly packed in single layers so it can easily be identified.

Mike
KD5TXX

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »

I fly with an HT all the time.  I have multiple times flown with my 817 and tuner in my backpack with a wire antenna.  Once I did have to run the tuner back through the X-ray.  I have never been asked for my license. 
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »

Yes, make sure you can be there when they inspect it. Tell them it's special before it goes into the scanner or through some hatch into the bowels of the airport. If it has to be checked, tell the person what it is and you want to be there because of its value and delicate nature, and they will usually let you stand around while they do their snooping and that will be the end of it. Gone through with many scopes and circuit boards and home made looking prototypes like that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k7yoo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »

I have never had an issue with TSA or the customs folks in Belize. You might want to have your license info handy just in case someone asks what all of that stuff is for--they most likely won't.
If you are going to OWT be sure to visit Hernan, V31HU at his furniture store, bicycle shop, and ice cream parlor. If you have room, bring back his 706 with you so I can fix it for him!
Email me if you are going that way
Skip
K7YOO
W4EWH

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »

First time doing this.I am taking an Icom IC-746Pro  to Belize with me.I planned to do it as a carry on.

Above all else, remember to put an original copy of the instruction manual on top! It must be the first thing any inspector sees when (s)he opens the case!

Trust me on this: you'll have a much easier time of it when the people who are questioning you have an instruction manual that clearly shows they are looking at a "packaged good", i.e., something manufactured for a specific purpose with a well-known, and well-defined, set of capabilities.

Second, and almost as important, is to have large copies of both your U.S. and Belize Amateur licenses, clipped to the back of the instruction manual so that the inspector sees them as soon as (s)he turns the instruction manual over.

Your job is not to get a <mysterious and complicated electronic device> past customs. Your task is to remind a bored, tired public servant of how special (s)he felt when (s)he first heard a BBC shortwave signal.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 02:02:03 AM »

Gentlemen:Thanks for the tips.I was worried more about TSA than Belize customs.The last time I was there customs was a pleasure to go thru.The TSA on the other hand treated me like a terrorist for wearing a non-metallic knee brace,it is best to remove it and hobble thru.
K7YOO:I didn't plan on going to Orange Walk Town ( it's a long drive from Plancencia) but  if we go on the Belkin brewery tour  I will try to contact him.Thanks Again Joe WB2G / V31WG

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »

Joe,

You might take photocopies of your receipts for the transceiver and any other gear you are taking in case someone at customs on the way back asks if you bought the radio in Belize.

Will you be using a V3 call sign?  Let us know when you will be there and on what bands.

Brad K4RT
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

The station will be set up from Feb.21th to March 19th,mostly 40 and 20 meters.I'll see if I can get a 31 FT.S9 up with tuner and see what happens for the other bands.The Icom IC-746Pro will be the only rig this time and the call sign is V31WG.My brother WB2RJR will also be operating the station as V31?? (he's waiting to hear what his call will be).I could try the 746 on am , it would be a little signal,but we will be right next to the ocean in Placencia.Will let you know when we're up and running and what freq.Joe WB2G / V31WG

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »

The station will be set up from Feb.21th to March 19th,mostly 40 and 20 meters.I'll see if I can get a 31 FT.S9 up with tuner and see what happens for the other bands.The Icom IC-746Pro will be the only rig this time and the call sign is V31WG.My brother WB2RJR will also be operating the station as V31?? (he's waiting to hear what his call will be).I could try the 746 on am , it would be a little signal,but we will be right next to the ocean in Placencia.Will let you know when we're up and running and what freq.Joe WB2G / V31WG

Good to have your reciprocal license handy and your USA Ham license and make, model and serial number of the radio.
I had a helluva time to get my transceiver out of the Philippines when we departed. They will see it and will question what this is all about. Very sensitive about radio equipment moving around the world.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015