The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:29:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Class B Audio and RF Amps 1936 Loy Barton RCA paper  (Read 19391 times)
John K5PRO

« on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »

Articles from old pubs, that complement the info in the AM Window Tech section.

* Barton IRE paper 1936 on Class B.pdf (1408.99 KB - downloaded 864 times.)
K4TQF

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »

I have put together a collection of Loy Barton's papers , patents and published articles. Included is his 1925 masters thesis in which he first describes Class B high level plate modulation.
Interestingly enough, his name also appears on the 1950 patent for "Color Burst".

www.lulu.com/shop/class-b-high-level-plate-modulation/loy-edgar-barton/paperback/product-22830783.html

All proceeds in excess of actual printing costs ( $3.95 ) will be donated to the Maritime Radio Historical Society.
John K5PRO

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »

Barton's 1930 report on the design and building of a plate modulation transformer at Univ or Arkansas is posted on the AM Window - Tutorials page.

Also, this one (attached) had been posted that year somewhere but I cannot find it online right now. I wouldn't mind seeing just his 1925 thesis but not the patents or copies of these that I scanned years ago. Loy was active at RCA for many years, and worked on transistor technology for them. 

* Barton IRE paper 1931 High Audio Pwr.pdf (1621.39 KB - downloaded 689 times.)
K4TQF

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »

I see and hear "Heising" or "modified Heising"  modulation mentioned all the time... but not many people are aware of Barton and his major contribution to AM. RCA basically hired him away from the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville so he would apply for the Class B High Level Plate modulation patent while an RCA employee. His name is on it, but RCA owned the patent. I think he received a $50 savings bond or something like that. RCA would put his method to the test almost immediately with the construction of Powell Crosley's 500,000 Watt WLW transmitter. This type of modulation was used for the next 50 + years for almost every AM rig ever built.

Take this site for example... search for Heising and one will find 12 pages of posts. Search for Loy Barton and you will find just 2 posts total. People just don't know who Barton is and what he did..
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »

I have put together a collection of Loy Barton's papers , patents and published articles. Included is his 1925 masters thesis in which he first describes Class B high level plate modulation.
Interestingly enough, his name also appears on the 1950 patent for "Color Burst".

www.lulu.com/shop/class-b-high-level-plate-modulation/loy-edgar-barton/paperback/product-22830783.html

All proceeds in excess of actual printing costs ( $3.95 ) will be donated to the Maritime Radio Historical Society.

I recall seeing the color of color burst for the first time. It really destroyed one of the very fine mysteries of my youth.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K4TQF

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »

I recall seeing the color of color burst for the first time. It really destroyed one of the very fine mysteries of my youth. [/quote]
You werent eating pasta with mushroom sauce on it were you?  Grin

BTW, I didn't do this to make money... If anyone wants any of the PDF's on Barton concerning High level class B plate modulation let me know. I will be happy to send them to you in an email.

Durff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015