The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:41:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speakers  (Read 21667 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »

I know that this is potentially a loaded question, but, what kinds of speakers do you have hooked up to that tube receiver?

Thanks, Roland
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »

A 12 inch, in the top case, from a 60's high school gym class mono record player
A 16 inch Jensen coaxial with center mounted 4 inch..both have paper cones.... the big one has repairs made with fingernail polish....
An 8 inch 8 ohm RCA 70's stereo speaker with an 8/600 ohm transformer on a 600ohm output....
     Some other receivers have diode outputs switched into a solid state amp that drives a set of 80's Pioneer stereo speakers
  I have an RBC Navy rx that only has a headphone jack designed to drive multiple sets of headphones...Like 25 sets...I plugged in an old 8 ohm stereo speaker when I was testing the receiver 10 years ago and it is still working....I don't question why....The RBC is my mainstay 20M AM rx.......
    All but one are boat anchor receivers and I don't hear as well as I used to and this works for me....I just rig up the best I can with the junk that comes my way..Good Luck to you  and I am interested to see what others are using...
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »

Several large Hallicrafters (multiple R-12T's , PM-23's, R-42's, R-46/46A's) and National 10" speakers hooked to all brands, they sound better than most other factory options. Exceptions are a 75A3 with matching speaker which is shared with a 75A2, and a HQ-180 with its 6x9 SP-200 matching one

I also have a 12" military speaker (LS-12 I believe) being beat upon by a couple of older Super Pros.

Carl
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »

Mainly Hallicrafters,  R42, PM23 and R12.  

I use matching speakers when I can.  All national HRO's are hooked to the correct national speaker.  

For R390 and SP600, I dont use the internal audio.  I use a Diode load take off to an RCA jack to any small audio amp I could find.

C
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »

Halli R42 is a decent all-purpose speaker you can move from set to set pretty easily, and it sounds reasonably good. I've got one here, it works well. Also a 10 inch Jensen plain jane cone in a 312A speaker hooked to the A-4.

Others are the big 1950s 15" EV TRX-something in a corner enclosure used for the SP-100 and a pair of '40s-'50s vintage Jensen JHP-52 15" coaxials in Collins lobby cabinets courtesy of Long Island Radio WA2PJP. Recently hooked one up to the SX-62B, sure sounds nice.

Other than the EV, I think they're all 500-600 ohm.

* JensenSpeaker2.JPG (275.04 KB, 720x960 - viewed 573 times.)

* JensenSpeaker6.JPG (231.72 KB, 720x960 - viewed 541 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:48:18 AM »

I know that this is potentially a loaded question, but, what kinds of speakers do you have hooked up to that tube receiver?

Thanks, Roland

Hi Roland ... interesting that you brought up this question .... most hams will spend plenty $$ on the gear and then the minimum $ on the reproducer (loudsqueaker or microphonium)

since most boatanchor receivers have limited audio power out before onset of distortion, it is important to use an efficient speaker ... the specification is db spl / Watt at a distance of usually 1 meter ...  looking for at least say 95 db spl for 1 Watt input power ... this will give you loud sound in a small room with cleanest possible audio

I tend to prefer coaxial speakers used in sound reinforcement as they tend to meet this criteria in a compact size

73 .... John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »

Thanks, Roland

Hi Roland ... interesting that you brought up this question .... most hams will spend plenty $$ on the gear and then the minimum $ on the reproducer...
//
I tend to prefer coaxial speakers used in sound reinforcement as they tend to meet this criteria in a compact size

73 .... John

Roland your question is one of personal preference, and worth discussing as you consider the range of choices for yourself.

John has put it well, above, in suggesting many stations shortchange their ability to obtain the best quality of reception that their receiver(s) can deliver.

And I also agree with him that something from the category of sound reinforcement speakers is best suited to deliver the full fidelity available from many stations we talk with.

What I use is a pair of Avid 102,  a two-way loudspeaker that was quite popular for home stereos about 30 years ago.  They don't take much audio power (high efficiency) and deliver full tonal response without a lot of equalization.  To provide the most driving power, I connect the output of my receiver to an external audio amplifier (McIntosh tube amp, total overkill), with the volume level still adjusted at the receiver.  

Muting, when transmitting, is a simple relay system that puts a shunt resistor in the audio path, in addition to the customary muting of RF amplification at the receiver. This dual-step method completely eliminates any feedback heard while transmitting.
KJ4OLL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »

I use an Altec "Voice of the Theater" horn on the R-390A, and a ROKIT-5 (built-in amp) off the diode load on the R-390.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

Polk 4a on the NC300.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »

Thanks for all the great information. I'm going to make a guess that speakers for communication equipment don't need a very wide frequency response. What would be a good spread for AM (no just BCB) listening?

Roland......
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »

I like a cut off of 150 to 7K for an AM only speaker.  The low end cut off is nice for two reasons,  one,  The first minute an AM op gets ahold of an EQ and a studio microphone, they crank the bass to the max. They want to sound like Ted baxter, In reality, IT sounds like shat.. This way, i dont have to listen to all that low end.  Two,  Alot of old tube gear is nearly impossible to get ALL the hum out.  AC filiments and old capacitors,  If you have a speaker that gets super lows down around 60, You get to hear all that hum nice and loud in the shack either from your own receiver or from the station you are listening too.

The High end at 7K is a good balance.  I dont like loud hiss.  Lots of high frequency can cause fatigue to the listener.  5K is even a good place to start.   7K would allow max fidelity without all that hiss...

Hallicrafters used capacitors in the R42 to roll off the frequency.  I put a video up on Youtube showing those caps and the replacement of them.  That system can be used on any speaker to cut the highs down. or, Just unhook the tweeter in a repurposed Stereo hifi speaker.

C
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »

Roland, there are a couple things to keep in mind: as John mentioned, many receivers aren't capable of HiFi or even pleasant audio as they are meant for communications service only. Restricted response and low output. It's easy to use too much speaker in hopes of making up the difference.

OTOH, if you're running a set intended for higher fidelity like an old Super Pro with variable IF and 14 watts or so output, you're missing out if you don't have that amp driving a decent speaker.

I like a cut off of 150 to 7K for an AM only speaker.  The low end cut off is nice for two reasons,  one,  The first minute an AM op gets ahold of an EQ and a studio microphone, they crank the bass to the max.

Yep, there's certainly plenty of that to go around. I refer to it as 'thumping' since that seems to be the result rather than a fuller sound. That's when the proper description is 'outboard distortion' instead of outboard processing.

But there are plenty of good sounding stations too. Well worth of proper reproduction.

The biggest issue becomes the number of nights you can open up your receiver to enjoy the full fidelity and clean signals some of the big guns have. The further south you go, the shorter the quiet season. But on those night when arm chair listening is possible, nothing beats a big ol' speaker booming away along with reproduction of crisp highs.

RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »

Good information. I didn't think about the residual power supply hum. So, high efficiency, ~150 to 7000cps. If you were building one, what kind of enclosure works well, sealed, open back, slots, stuffed, clip leads and no enclosure?
Thanks, Roland....
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

I wouldn't worry about limiting the frequency response of the speaker. An equalizer on the RX line gives your much more flexibility and allows you to match the audio for any situation/receiver. But that's just me. You should try a number of different speakers and audio arrangements. Everyone's ears and tastes are different.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »

I use the GE 11-8052A  8 ohm speacker. I found 2 at the side of the road. They are both Black, clean, and do not smell.  The Hamerlund feeds both of them. One sits on a 2X6, the other on a up side down wicker basket. They, like me, have value.

klc

What? Me worry?
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

Thanks, Roland

I am a firm believer in having audio stages and speakers/'phones that can exactly reproduce whatever waveform the detector stage provides -- which means they must be capable of extremely high fidelity.

Not only will that allow you to hear precisely whatever the other guy is sending (and, if your ears require restricting or changing the response on some signals, you can always do that with an equalizer), but it will allow you to record it or examine it on a scope or audio spectrum analyzer and know that what you are seeing or recording is as close as possible to what was actually transmitted. Reducing distortion also removes a "veil" that poor quality amplification and reproduction imposes on all signals, which will make intelligibility better.

I have found that most commercial receivers require modification to achieve good fidelity, but it can be done just by following good hi-fi practices such as those laid out in the RCA Tube Manual and other sources. The easy way is to tap off the detector stage (some old receivers have a connector marked "diode load" for just this purpose) and feed the low-level audio into a high fidelity amp and speakers.

If you have good speakers or 'phones on your computer, you can listen to the results possible with a modified Racal RA-6790 on AM here:

http://liberty.3950.net/WA3VJB%207290%2020k%20bw%2020110320%200317PM%20ET.mp3

...and listen to a (slightly) modified SDR-1000 on high quality SSB here:

http://liberty.3950.net/W9AD-KU8R-K9JSP-WB9DNZ-N9BR%203630%20kHz%20LSB%2020120903%20830pm%20et%207500%20Hz%20bw.mp3

Whatever you do, experiment and have fun. There's something magic about getting all the quality and nuances of the human voice to come through the ionosphere.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »

Is that ESSB on the second clip?

Ive modified a TS-950SD for 3300 Hz on SSB and AM, the next step is being able to TX thru the 12KHz LC filter.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »

Is that ESSB on the second clip?

Ive modified a TS-950SD for 3300 Hz on SSB and AM, the next step is being able to TX thru the 12KHz LC filter.

Look forward to hearing it!

I suppose you'd call the second recording ESSB -- just another name for high quality on SSB, which was once so rare you could go years between hearing it in a QSO. Now it's easy to hear it several times a week. I credit the AM gang with keeping the audio quality flame alive in ham radio, and the attitude we embody is now being used to improve another mode.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 10:12:02 AM »

Ive heard that ESSB doesnt sound well on a regular SSB radio?
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. You'd definitely be missing part of the transmitted signal when listening in a more restricted bandwidth. And ESSBers, like Amers, have varied philosophies on how to tailor their transmitted audio. Some prefer an even energy response, octave for octave (which can be achieved with multiband processing set for "flat," and which sounds wideband but quite bright, like a top-40 broadcast station), while others prefer no upper range emphasis at all (which makes them sound bassier, to which some add bass boost). So they're all over the map -- as they should be, I suppose, since we're an experimental service.

Some stock SSB rigs (like some stock AM receivers, too, even ones considered "classic") severely roll off the high frequency audio response, so the only stations that don't sound muddy on them are stations with heavily boosted midrange or a severe lack of bass response.

Getting back to the topic of speakers, a relatively cheap (I got mine at Staples for $70 a few years ago) amplified computer speaker set that has very good performance for its price is the Altec Lansing VS-4121. I also really liked my old Acoustic Research AR-3 for amateur radio use.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »

I prefer to use old paper cone speakers.

If you look at what was used in the higher quality "console hi-fi" units from the 50's and 60's that had tube stuff in them - the tuner and record player with a flip up lid - they had 12" or 15" woofers and then some 5-6" paper cone mids and some paper cone tweeters. Often Jensen stuff or similar. Low power and high sensitivity. I like the woofers full range and a cap in series with the sealed back mids... skip the tweeters.

I'd advise to skip the tweeters if ur using cone speakers... go with a wide range mid if you run a two way.

But actually hooked up to my R388 now is an old Altec 12" coax monitor speaker, it's in a small stage monitor box, which is how it was used for years. The HF section is padded down a bit for better midrange balance. It doesn't reproduce very low in this small box. What I get is very natural, clear voices, effortless sounding.

I use a single JBL D208 "fullrange" 8" driver with the TS440s and that sounds wonderful actually.

Unless you want to use a giant box like that Altec Voice Of The Theater mentioned before, and you want big bass (some do) I'd suggest using an external amplifier and then putting on appropriate speakers for that.

In general it's my feeling that most "consumer grade" hi-fi/stereo speakers make poor speakers for listening to voices (unless you modify them and maybe not then). The reason is that they tend to be set up for excess highs, and some "boom" on the bottom. There are exceptions of course.

Everyone has different preferences and hearing, so what you like to hear is what sounds best to you. Smiley

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »

The other night, after loading the latest version of Flex software for the Flex 5000, I was sliding around 75 meters and found 3 wide-body SSB stations in QSO. Two were about 10 to 20 db over S9 while the third was about S8. Opening up the bandwidth a bit caused the weaker station to be peppered more by the prevailing evening atmospheric static making reception annoying and cumbersome to listen to. The highlight was that, with the amount of bass they all had coming through the 3-way speakers with 10 inch woofers, they all sounded like singer Al Greene. I half expected one or more to break out in song each time they transmitted.

They are amusing though. One year, while driving from home to Dayton, I listened to two guys on 20 meters spend roughly 3 hours diddling with their knobs and sliders on their multiple daisy-chained boxes between their microphone and the rig trying to find their audio "sweet spot". I never laughed so hard; finally had to switch over to Channel 19 to listen to some manly jabbering.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »

ESSB is just another part of the hobby to keep us engineers busy.  There is a popular ESSB freq here.  One night I listened on my Icom 756 Pro.  I keyed up to answer a question on the STOCK HAND mic and was told I had wonderfull articulate audio and was asked what my audio rack setup and microphone was!  BAHABABABA

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »

I'd advise to skip the tweeters if ur using cone speakers... go with a wide range mid if you run a two way.

But actually hooked up to my R388 now is an old Altec 12" coax monitor speaker, it's in a small stage monitor box, which is how it was used for years. The HF section is padded down a bit for better midrange balance. It doesn't reproduce very low in this small box. What I get is very natural, clear voices, effortless sounding.

That's why I enjoy the 15 inch Jensen JHP coaxials. I figure they knew what they were doing when they designed and produced them some 60+ years ago. No need to consult the audiophool community today for advice. They sound perfect, provided one has a receiver capable of driving them properly.

Opening up the bandwidth a bit caused the weaker station to be peppered more by the prevailing evening atmospheric static making reception annoying and cumbersome to listen to.

This is the part that confuses me. The advantage to using SSB is its ability to transmit a signal more efficiently. Works great for DX and so on. So why would you want to bend over backward trying to make it sound like AM instead of just flipping the mode switch to AM?  Roll Eyes

I never laughed so hard; finally had to switch over to Channel 19 to listen to some manly jabbering.

Yep, stupidity is not exclusive to one particular radio service. According to some of the ancient (20s-30s) QST columns from T.O.M., this has always been the case despite disparaging remarks about the more recent Citizens Band.

There's plenty of comedy to go around. Grin

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »

I have several of the new Jensen speakers here.  I just put one into my R12 speaker as I needed an 8 ohm.  They are dirt cheap and sound realy nice.  The Vintage ceramic in "R" trim which means 25 watts max is a real bargain.  I also have some of the "MOD" model speakers used as replacements for some halli and national companion speakers.

The website is neat as you can listen and view the audio response graphs for each model.

http://www.jensentone.com/

C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015