The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:26:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA1HUM SK  (Read 18615 times)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »

Was WA1GQE Gary from Acton, sure looks a lot like a guy I knew back in the 60's?
W1JS

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

WA1GQE, was Bruce, a blind op from Western Mass. 

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »

Somehow I just saw this post.  I absolutely cannot believe this.  Dana is part of the old AM guard from the late 60s/early 70s era.

Does anyone know what happened?  It's too unbelievable for words.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »

Steve it's been hard to take the loss of Dana, adding to the list of folks gone but never to be forgotten.

Your posting just now reminded me to fetch up the file card I kept on him, and while reading it I was taken back 20 years to when I first met him.  It sounds recent compared to you and others who've known him twice that long.

Some people just make an impression that goes deeper than you realize, until it's too late to tell them.

One note that I made -- married his childhood sweetheart, used to ride bikes around the neighborhood in the 1960s -- man that really got me. 

* 1990.jpg (616.21 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 502 times.)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »

Does anyone know what happened?  It's too unbelievable for words.

I would suggest you contact Tim HLR as he know the details. He explained the situation to me but I may not have the facts correct to post them here.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »

Wow!  Dana   was one of my first QSO's  soon after getting my ticket in 1969.   I was only on CW then,  but I did have a 3885 kc  crystal for my trusty  Heath AT-1, and worked  Dana  one early evening.  He replied back on AM.   

Very sad.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »

Draina was a fixture for years, like Deano/KLEE-N-X and so many others. I listened to them AAAAAWWLL the time as a JN. I suppose we're all reaching the crap out point faster than we'd care to think, but it seems like too many are leaving us too soon. We're supposed to live into our 80s-90s and be around long enough to annoy the youngsters. Guess there aren't many of them coming behind us anyhow.

At least he has a good crew to join up with once he gets where he's going. Fortunately he can live on through Jack's old photos and existing audio clips. You only die when you've been forgotten.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1EIG

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »

I have not been active for quite some time and just discovered this post.  Many of us spent many hours talking with Dana on 80 meters AM.  I see most of the old gang has posted about our loss.  I hope to connect with some of the old gang in the near future as I consider antenna options.  I am deeply sorry Dana won't be among the old friends.  RIP  buddy.
Gary
WA1EIG  in Maryland
W1JS

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »

Wow!  A callsign and blast from the past!   

Yep, we lost Dana 6 years ago last month.  Gotta admit I sometimes miss the middle of the night phone calls...   

Glad to see that you are still around and kicking, Gary! 

Jack
W1JS (FKA: WA1ALM)
No. Weare NH 

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015