The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:56:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VRL Globe King  (Read 62865 times)
KD8PIQ

« on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

Well, I just picked this up last week.  Thought I would share some pic's.  I have not done any kind of testing yet, and am lacking a final (4-400) and the modulators, 2* 811a's.  But I hope to have more updates in the next year or so.  73's

Here is a link to the Photobucket page so you can see larger pic's. 
http://s50.beta.photobucket.com/user/ukv894/library/VRL%20Globe%20King%20500-D

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again. James R. Cook.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »

Nice looking homebrew rig !

PM me if you need a 4-400A. 

I can donate one to the cause since that'll be the least of your problems with that thing.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »

Great on Paul offering you a 4-400A but a 4-250 is all you would really need for that rig and in a pinch, a 4-125 will work if you keep the input down to about 300 watts.

Good luck with the rig! 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way:  that chassis that looks like aluminum with the huge Dahl iron on it in the rear no less, badly needs more support--that rack chassis won't hold it as is.  I don't think I'd even try to beef up the chassis with struts--I'd get that transformer out of there and put it in the bottom of the rack cabinet.  I'd get a 4 foot high rack and use that for the rig with the iron in the bottom.  I'm not sure I'd even want to use steel with side struts for that thing.  It looks way too huge to be on a rack chassis.  maybe the photo makes it look bigger than it is.  If it weighs as much as I think (around 60 lbs or more) pull it.  You'll probably like having the rig in a bigger cabinet, perhaps on wheels, anyway.

GL 73

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KD8PIQ

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »

Nice looking homebrew rig !

PM me if you need a 4-400A. 

I can donate one to the cause since that'll be the least of your problems with that thing.

PM sent, thank you.

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again. James R. Cook.
KD8PIQ

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way:  that chassis that looks like aluminum with the huge Dahl iron on it in the rear no less, badly needs more support--that rack chassis won't hold it as is.  I don't think I'd even try to beef up the chassis with struts--I'd get that transformer out of there and put it in the bottom of the rack cabinet.  I'd get a 4 foot high rack and use that for the rig with the iron in the bottom.  I'm not sure I'd even want to use steel with side struts for that thing.  It looks way too huge to be on a rack chassis.  maybe the photo makes it look bigger than it is.  If it weighs as much as I think (around 60 lbs or more) pull it.  You'll probably like having the rig in a bigger cabinet, perhaps on wheels, anyway.

GL 73

Rob

Everything seams to be 3/16 sheet metal, I thought the same when I first seen the pics the previous owner mailed me.  It looks like its doing fine the way it is, but I will see more later on when I get inside of it. 

Thank you for your input, 73's.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »

Ah... The globe king copy

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=28525.25

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

Maybe yours was the prototype.

Here's the VRL $3885 Globe King:

and yours

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »

His clearly has the 755 WRL VFO mounted to the faceplate.  The other one you posted has some kind of digital vfo. I bet this thing could be gone through and would run good on the air. It has some quality components there...

C
KD8PIQ

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

Ya, it has the full unit, other then the enclosure (WRL 755A) VFO.  I hope it works good!  I have build DDS units in the past for radios, but I have full plans to get the WRL VFO working 100%. 

I have not looked at the radio very close inside yet, but I will post more on it as I get her on the air.  I did try to call, and e-mail the builder of the VRL Globe Kings for schematics, but all contacts had no luck.

I'm not worried, the parts look great, I know I can get it honking.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »

Keep us updated and take some photos along the way. There are alot of guys here that can help if you get stuck

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »

The advertised version had the digital dial. It's been reported that several of these were sold to amateurs in the Northeast but haven't heard anyone admitting to it.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD8PIQ

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »

ke7trp, I subscribed to your YouTube quite some time ago. Love your radios!  I myself have a FL-101, and FR101 I am about done with restoring, and am working on a re-caping on my FT-101E for my mobile! 

My primary rig is a FT-857D, but I LOVE tubes!  Been playing with EM' most of my life.

This radio is so clean, I bet it never worked properly or was not used.  I cannot understand why someone would spend the asking price on one of these that did not work. But from all the information, or should I say lack of...  I myself have not heard of a VRL 500-D that works.  :-(

I will be giving detailed info as I get it, even HD video on my You Tube one day. 

I am a full time father, (4 kids) so time is lacking and I work slow anymore.   Hope to catch you guys on the air! 

W4AAB

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

I have some 811A's I can contribute. If you need info on the 755A, I have a factory manual.
                                 Joe W4AAB                                                 
KD8PIQ

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

I have some 811A's I can contribute. If you need info on the 755A, I have a factory manual.
                                 Joe W4AAB                                                 

I would love that!  I have a friend that has been trying to get me into playing with 811a's for about 15 years now, KC8COM.
Here is my chance.

It does use (2) 12ax7's for pre-driver, then a single 6L6 for a audio driver.  The audio final, or modulator uses the 811a's.

I will be replacing the 6l6 with a Grove Tubes Black plate, and have a vast collection of 12ax7's.  I think I will go with RCA's there!

The RF driver is a RCA 6146, I think that might be a keeper!

You can reach me via E-Mail if need be at (kd8piq at arrl dot net), or just QRZ for address.  FREE is for ME!  HA HA

You guys are great!  73's best wishes, de KD8PIQ

KD8PIQ

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »

Here is a link to the Photobucket page so you can see larger pic's.  I upload new pics to this page as I get more into the radio.
There is much lack of information out there on this rig so..., here is some new for you....  ENJOY!

http://s50.beta.photobucket.com/user/ukv894/library/VRL%20Globe%20King%20500-D

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »

I will be replacing the 6l6 with a Grove Tubes Black plate

Wow, a Black Plate one! I wonder how they get the Black on the plate and if the Black offers any improved performance of the tube.  Maybe during the winter I'll test some Black plated 6L6's with the non black verify if there is a difference? I also wonder if the reason for the Black plate lends itself to better cooling? I know that in sunlight, black color absorb"s the rays of the sun readily so perhaps inside a vacuum tube, the reverse is true?  The only large transmitting tubes I know of is the 813 metal anode is black but for the most part, all the rest are gray, silver to brown in color.     

KD8PIQ

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »

I will be replacing the 6l6 with a Grove Tubes Black plate

Wow, a Black Plate one! I wonder how they get the Black on the plate and if the Black offers any improved performance of the tube.  Maybe during the winter I'll test some Black plated 6L6's with the non black verify if there is a difference? I also wonder if the reason for the Black plate lends itself to better cooling? I know that in sunlight, black color absorb"s the rays of the sun readily so perhaps inside a vacuum tube, the reverse is true?  The only large transmitting tubes I know of is the 813 metal anode is black but for the most part, all the rest are gray, silver to brown in color.     

I have been into musical arts for 90% of my life, along with radio.  I have tested many tubes in aspect of there sound comparison, and have found even in common tubes, such as the 6L6 just changing the brand or age of tube can change the audio minutely.  I run groove tubes in my Ampeg SVT6 Pro 1100W bass amp, and have also ran RCA's .  The black plate grove tubes seem to be smoother in response to me.  It might not matter much, but myself... I'm just picky that way with my tubes.  If they are used for sound, I love to swap them left and right until I find the sweet spot par-say.

good talk, 73's

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »

Scott, The hazing is starting.. Just ignore them man Smiley

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

I have been into musical arts for 90% of my life, along with radio.  I have tested many tubes in aspect of there sound comparison, and have found even in common tubes, such as the 6L6 just changing the brand or age of tube can change the audio minutely.  I run groove tubes in my Ampeg SVT6 Pro 1100W bass amp, and have also ran RCA's .  The black plate grove tubes seem to be smoother in response to me.  It might not matter much, but myself... I'm just picky that way with my tubes.  If they are used for sound, I love to swap them left and right until I find the sweet spot par-say. good talk, 73's

Good to know! My son says the same thing and I have a number of audiophile friends who tell me the same thing. There must be something to it but I wonder if it's the minute spacing of the elements within the tube that makes them preform with very subtle different between brands. Like you say, it's what you hear that counts.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

These things are like bad pennies that keep turning up.

-Is it Serial Number 1?   That was a very popular number; available for a special price!  Wink

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KD8PIQ

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »

These things are like bad pennies that keep turning up.

-Is it Serial Number 1?   That was a very popular number; available for a special price!  Wink

Nope.  It does not have a serial number.  But the power supply/modulator deck is stamped "1005", and the other likewise.

The P.D. Co. transformers are marked "01/03/2002"

It looks very well built.  From my several months of searching online this is the best one out there. And like I have said, it all looks new.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »

That rig has an honest face.
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »

Wasn't the VRL GK build/designed by W6CHR if so, I believe he is in Federal Jail...

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »

That seems to be the same guy. Not sure.  Has a nice QRZ page.

C
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015