The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: class C linear amplifier  (Read 77304 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »

And why do we care what some dumb CBer says?

Two 3-500s are good for 1800 watts (2k if you want to push it with 4kv on the plates). So 10 are good for 9000 watts. Of course you would need 500 watts drive.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »

C.W. McCoy cares. Whenever you need to impress hams just bring up CW.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »

C.W. McCall of Let Them Truckers Roll fame.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

Because if you look past the "Us Vs.  Them" war, it's funny as hell, some of the things that are said and claimed.

Anywho.

--Shane
KD6VXI
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »

Plus they must have money to burn (or more money than brains, that sounds more like it) if they can buy 10 3-500Zs which run about $190 each, then beat the crap out of them in a multi kilowatt amp. Of course, in linear service you can make sure you have enough tube power then wimp out a bit on the tank circuit, since you're not handling near the amount of voltage that you would with a plate modulated amp.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:00 AM »

Instead of arguing with CBers who make crazy claims, ask some technical questions, like plate voltage and current..

I'm sure in some cases, like where the plate voltage has been cranked up way high, the claims could have some element of truth; otherwise it's more fun to see what answers come back. If it's bad math or all some big secret, then both of you know who the liar is, and that is worth a lot more than an argument.

The amazing thing is many of them actually seem to believe the power ratings they spout. It's the cruddy power/SWR meters CBers use.

Nothing you can say will change their mind, or their spiel when a sucker shows up to buy. Consider it a free show.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »

Of course they are funny. I've enjoyed the CB crowd for 35 years. If you've read any of my posts here over the years, you would know this. But let's be real. Telling a story about some CBer who is technically off base and then laughing is about the same as throwing a rock into a pond and then shouting, "Hey, look, ripples." Yea, it happened. Yea, you made ripples. So what?

Some Cbers are technically pretty sharp. Most are not even close. Given this is the Technical section, that should be a guide as to which ones to quote. A legitimate question was asked and you didn't answer it. Save the CB funnies for the QSO section.  Wink

Because if you look past the "Us Vs.  Them" war, it's funny as hell, some of the things that are said and claimed.

Anywho.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »

Of course they are funny. I've enjoyed the CB crowd for 35 years. If you've read any of my posts here over the years, you would know this. But let's be real. Telling a story about some CBer who is technically off base and then laughing is about the same as throwing a rock into a pond and then shouting, "Hey, look, ripples." Yea, it happened. Yea, you made ripples. So what?

Some Cbers are technically pretty sharp. Most are not even close. Given this is the Technical section, that should be a guide as to which ones to quote. A legitimate question was asked and you didn't answer it. Save the CB funnies for the QSO section.  Wink

Because if you look past the "Us Vs.  Them" war, it's funny as hell, some of the things that are said and claimed.

Anywho.

--Shane
KD6VXI

"The last 10 tube amp I saw with Z tubes in it would do an honest 2000 watts carrier, 100 percent modulated."

Posted nearly an hour before you did.  Guess I DID answer the question posed.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.  I did answer his question, honestly, and threw an anecdote in for a good laugh.  Guess you didn't read far enough down?

I'm done with the BS side of the conversation.  I answered both questions that where asked, about the 3 tube amp and a 10 tube amp.  The 10 tube was brought about as a question on the 3 tube, as the power supply had a bigger Dahl transformer in it, from what I remember (it was nearly a decade ago I saw the amp in question run)  was a 10 tube replacement, running 3CPX tubes.

Sorry if I posted my response in the wrong section.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »

It's a pissing contest only in your mind. I'm interesting in putting out factual answers to questions asked. I couldn't care less about any contest with you. It's not about you. It's about conveying good info. That's it. There's nothing else going on here. Silly stories about your CB buddies add zero information.
W9LCE

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »

I've seen no mention of the CQ Magazine papers on "The Class C Linear Amplifier"  by D.O. Mann  W6HLY March (p32-)-April (p31-) 1964.  It referenced a CQ Sideband Handbook intro on the "the ZL Linear"  Its basic consideration was SSB Linear - high efficiency.

Essentially it was based around a CW (Class C) Amp with a Clamp tube on the tetrode screen grid.  It was with either a tetrode (preferred) or a twin triode clamp tube.    The circuit operated from a tap on the bias (var resistor adjustments of both the bias level and the tap) feeding the clamp tube, to drive the screen grid level.  The clamp tube was never allowed to get to cut-off.

The claim (I've not tried it - but maybe will) was 80-85% efficiency, Linear Drive Loading, Nominal Drive power ("20 db nominal power gain"), intermodulation distortion of 2 tone signal about 30 db below max pep.

I have the Heath DX-40 and DX-60 (resurrecting a DX-100b) - but may try "high power" this way, with an old home-brew amp (pair of 4-400s)  (and not use the modulator (pair of 811As), that I have from another old amp (in the basement) - amp is gone - 2500v power supply [866As] and modulator).
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015