The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:17:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Sandy - QRV  (Read 31600 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »

There is no NO Traffic Emergency Net on 7290.

They're in there, just can hear'em.
Talked with KE3SX and KD8SFT @ 1/2hr ago.
Need food then out to chainsaw some tree!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »

Been on generator power since 1000 yesterday, lost COMCAST internet,cable TV, and digital landline about 2 hours later.  Carrying loads in our house and also sending 3 neighbors power to keep at least their fridges, freezers, and a few other small loads up.  Sure helps to have them share in the gas costs, the Generac 17.5 KW is a pretty thirsty beast.  96% of the town is without commercial power.

Minimal damage at our house in Stonington, just a lot of fairly big branches down from the trees. Thankfully, all the really big oaks stayed up.  One at our cottage in Charlestown, RI came down and made a real mess.  Lots of trees down all over.  Misquamicut Beach reported a gust of 86 MPH around 4 PM yesterday.  Am more of a believer than ever of the Windfinder.com wind forecasts, they hit the nail pretty much right on the head with the local area timing and wind strength much more precise than the NWS ones, which appear to cover wider regions.

Best local news and info about storm conditions and after affects on our little hometown AM station WBLQ 1230 Westerly, run by a guy named Chris Dipaola, who is a true believer in local news, talk, and sports content radio. Not a ham, but a true professional AMer.  When he lost his downtown studio link to the transmitter down by the Pawcatuck River, he shifted ops to the transmitter building, using a local mixer and mike.  You could hear his emergency generator roaring in the background there last night as he broadcast calls with local emergency management officials and residents calling in problem spots to his cell phone, acoustic coupled from the cell phone speaker.  During the worst of the storm surge, the bottom of the tower was under water, apparently didn't hurt things.  As of Wednesday morning, their internet live stream is back at WBLQ.net.

Sending this in from a Westerly RI Dunkin Donuts WiFi hotspot, a very popular place today.  Guess its time to get a SMAATPhone, as they say here in RI....'

Enjoyed a nice QSO with Nicky Badwires, Richaroni and a few others at the height of the storm from home at the height of the storm on genny power yesterday afternoon on 3885.  My slacked off inverted vee got caught up in branches that normally never come near it, but is stiil up.

GFZ, how did you do down at the beach QTH in Niantic?  Heard it was pretty nasty over there.

Very sad that there was a loss of life in the Bounty sinking, they are are still looking for the captain, and have not given up hope yet.  Kind of spooky that the last name of the crew member that was lost was Christian.  

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
w1vtp

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »

I have to say one more thing.  Last month, I had my tree person come through and remove (on his discretion) some trees / branches.  I didn't have ONE mishap.  Hats off to that professional.  I highly recommend you all have one go through your property - particularly around your digs and antenna skyhooks and take stuff down for high winds.  Once the first visit is accomplished the expense is relatively lower.

Al
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 06:55:01 AM »

I second Al's opinion.  The two big oaks next to the house here would surely have been problems if we had not had them cleaned up professionally about two years ago.  We're going to have them taken down though, as they now have gotten way too big way too close to the house.  One of them was scheduled to be taken down last month, tree service lost their climber and had to reschedule.  Was on their list for today, and we were really worried about losing the tree during the storm.  Fortunately, it only lost some small branches. Now looks like its on the sked for next week.  A friend's neighbor near here had THREE trees come down on his place.  

One  up side of shelling out the bucks for this type of work is that you can get antenna halyards put up nice and high in your remaining trees while they are on site for very little added cost!

73 from Dunky's on the morning o-leen run...AJ1G

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K3ZS

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 08:21:10 AM »

I have had many tall pine trees, got rid of about half of them years ago as they were too close to the house.  One thing that I have experienced is that in high winds, the whole tree usually doesn't come down if they are healthy.   They usually snap about half way to the top, and the top part falls straight down.   However, if the tree is dead or dying, the base rots and the whole thing breaks at the base.   The people in the tree trimming business call them "widow makers".
WA3VJB
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »

Yeup, the pine tree snapped at the base and wasn't looking too healthy before it came down on the car.

BUT, the power came on early Wednesday, and the sun was VISIBLE for the first sunrise since the storm went by.

* Post-Sandy-Sunrise3.png (2099.55 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 459 times.)

* Post_Sandy Sunrise.png (1949.05 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 458 times.)
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

Nice pictures Paul.. A real treat to see that some of the old NSS towers are still up!  What's the status of the NSS site, is it still active or has the Navy pulled out completely?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

500 miles away we have sustained winds of 35mph and gusts to 60+!
I lost power last night at 9:30PM and fired up the backup. Power back on this morning at 10AM but center of the storm ain't here yet!!

160 and 75M antennas are pieces parts.
A couple trees down and winds are still 35+!

Bet I know where that Emerson inverter came from!

Good chatting on the wireless the other day OM.

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N1XBM

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

Thats HAARP firing up the weather wobbulator again.

It's EMI from the weather control machine.

Ha I like you guys!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

Paul,
Talked with my brother yesterday and he was telling me how he went outside to move a car from the driveway to the road. 30 minutes later a tree came down where the car was. Both he and the car were lucky.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »

I drove through Mercersburg, PA this morning and the one raod over there was closed with trucks working along it, lines down and the whole road was covered in tree branches. This afternoon I had my truck at the local mechanic's garage to get the oil and transmission fluid changed and we ended up working in the dark for about an hour because of the power there going out.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W4EWH

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »

What is the Naptha for?

It's for Coleman mantle lanterns and camp stoves: what sells as "Coleman fuel" or "Stove fuel" in stores is usually a mixture of Naphtha and Aromatic Naphtha.

I just say "Naphtha", even though I buy the cheaper "Coleman" cans, since I hate the way salesmen try to disguise simple chemicals by using complex names.

Bill, who once paid $15.99 for ten pounds of Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate.

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W4EWH

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

After the evil Media said we could lose power for a week, I start getting questions (like I know watt). No, the propane heat need  lectricity to run, No, we don't have a chord of wood. No, you don't like coal. During the rush at the Homely Despot (I wanted to buy some fasteners), the wife asked a clerk if they had generators for sale. "No". "We sold out last Friday."

I take it that the XYL was the one asking the questions?

I had a lot of fun dropping the "well, I wanted to buy a generator but you didn't" for most of the day.

We will now be able to revisit 'generator and heat issues'. Now I will have value.

This post may destruct if she sees this.

You lucky dog!

I was in a worse place: I had purchased a used 2KW unit in the summer of 2011, so I had to make do with it during the October storm last year, and endure the "Why won't it keep us warm just because the refrigerator is running?" questions. It only ran for about 80 minutes before I had to refuel it.

This year I got a 5KW B&S from Home Despot. It was a closeout that they wanted off their inventory, so it cost me $567 back in May. I hooked it up with a 220 plug, using the feeders from my pool shed. It worked like a champ, and the XYL could cook on the electric stove, and I didn't have to run extension cords or do anything different. She didn't even blink when I told her we should buy an auto-start model next spring!

Bill, W1AC

W4EWH

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »

I have to say one more thing.  Last month, I had my tree person come through and remove (on his discretion) some trees / branches.  I didn't have ONE mishap.  Hats off to that professional.  I highly recommend you all have one go through your property - particularly around your digs and antenna skyhooks and take stuff down for high winds.  Once the first visit is accomplished the expense is relatively lower.

You're right: I've got a swamp maple in back of my house that I really love, but if it comes down in a storm it will take half the house with it. It's time for it to go.

Bill, W1AC

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »

Lost power 4:30 Tues AM, got it back 3:30PM, it was the utility workers that shut it down as the winds died down before I went to bed at midnight. Generator run long enough to cook and keep fridge happy, I puttered around outside raking up a million little branches on the large lawn area

No meaningful damage, a dozen or so small limbs, all dead anyway; no trees close to the house, took them down in 89 when I moved here. All antennas OK. Highest gust was 72 with many in the 60-70 range but not unexpected with the wide open hilltop where I can see the ocean from the 100' level on the towers; maybe 25 miles but Logan International's tower sticks way up.

Knew a couple of families in Breezy Point but havent been able to get any news. Same with family and friends out on LI. Last I heard Monday afternoon a friends street in Freeport down near the bay was already flooded, cant contact anyone.

When working in Chicago 70-73 I watched 18-20' waves blast over Lake Shore Drive a couple of times, at least its not salt water.

Watch out for salt water damaged cars coming on Craigslist and elsewhere.
W4EWH

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

Have 2 generators (one BIG generator (12.5kw, and one EFFICIENT (3.2kW inverter jobbie) generator, 20 gallons of gasoline, enough food for about a week, and of course several bottles of wine (that's the important stuff!)  Wink

But, according to the disaster preppers, I'm barely prepared for anything.

You know, I was feeling a little bit of that on Monday night: my genset kept everything on, but I was wondering if I can ever be prepared for every situation.

I'll play Devil's Advocate, and ask what my options would be "if" ...

• Someone came by telling me that they were going to confiscate my generator 'For the hospital' or some other suspicious reason?
  • The fire department said that I had too much gas around?
  • The cops demanded to see an installation permit?
  • A neighbor asked to hook up:
    • What if they wanted to use a suicide cord?
    • What if they assumed it would be free?
    • What if they threaten to sue me for loss of food, or whatever, because I refuse to share?
    • What if I DO share, and they tell me their TV/computer, etc., got fried and I have to buy them a new one?

Yeah, I know, but even paranoids have enemies.  Wink

Bill, W1AC

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »

What is the Naptha for?

It's for Coleman mantle lanterns and camp stoves: what sells as "Coleman fuel" or "Stove fuel" in stores is usually a mixture of Naphtha and Aromatic Naphtha.

I just say "Naphtha", even though I buy the cheaper "Coleman" cans, since I hate the way salesmen try to disguise simple chemicals by using complex names.

Bill, who once paid $15.99 for ten pounds of Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate.

Is the Colman fuel which used to be called white gas still the same formulation or has that changed?  I still have a half gallon of the "white gas" for my Colman portable stove from years ago.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W4EWH

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »

What is the Naptha for?

Is the Colman fuel which used to be called white gas still the same formulation or has that changed?  I still have a half gallon of the "white gas" for my Colman portable stove from years ago.

When I was a kid, we would buy gasoline from certain stations which sold a product that didn't contain lead, and use that for camp stoves. I don't know if it's still the same product, or if what we used to call "white gas" is still available.

Here's some more, from Wikipedia:

White gas is a common name for two flammable substances. In its most common modern usage, it is used as a generic name for camp stove and lantern fuel, usually naphtha.

White gasoline, also called white gas, can also be a name for pure gasoline, without additives. This was commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm, to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the tetraethyl lead additive were not required.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

Bill, W1AC

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 02:35:11 AM »

dealt with some of that. #1 be armed because people get crazy and will steal and lie and are freaking out and are ready to do violence, when what they should do is go to the shelter if they have not prepared. Sheltering in place is real bad when one has not prepared anything beforehand, and if they come a-beggin' rather than a-barterin', that is likely their state.

Someone came by telling me that they were going to confiscate my generator 'For the hospital' or some other suspicious reason?

what a lie! Yhey intend to steal, by lying or if that does not work, by force. A policeman told me that a man with a knife can cover 20 FT and stab me before I could un-holster a handgun and stop him with it. Dangerous situation with evil motives behind it, someone coming and starting that line of discussion. answer: "NO. Get off my property". be prepared to use any necessary tools to keep them from stealing. I don't know your state's laws, are you allowed to protect your property?

The fire department said that I had too much gas around?

They probably won't. Don't let them see the gas. I don't know your laws. Do they have a right to start investigating things like that when there is no cause to suspect danger? If they ask real nice or insist or get pushy or use the police as a tool to threaten you, show them a little gas that you have for show, but not the main cache. It's good to keep fuel locked in a backyard shed separated from the house, not in the garage where it is a fumes/explosion danger or out where anyone can see it. None of it is anyone's business, hopefully you don't keep it inside..  Diesel is best, it doesn't go bad very quick and is harder to light by accident. I keep about 150 gallons and fill my old military truck from the drums, and refill the drum when it gets low. BTW 150 gallons is only about 4-5 days with the machine here. it's oversized and not efficient.

The cops demanded to see an installation permit?

Is it installed, or merely being used with extension cords for your appliances and corded lights? Is that against the law where you live? If it is connected with an "extension cord", which in this case means a disconnect-able cable with plugs on it, then it should be OK. If you have connected it to your house wiring and do not have a disconnect between the mains and your wiring, then they will be upset because you could accidentally energize the mains and kill a line worker. They might not accept an opened main breaker as a 'disconnect'. usually they like a separate purpose made device.

In a different thing which is an example of extension cords vs illegal wiring, in the 1980's I worked part time at a 'rave' and helped them with the stage stuff. I had wired up several 450W strings of home made stage lights made of a coffee can and a ceramic socket with a 150w PAR lamp and a tin clamp to hold the gel, used romex to run the power, and built the controller by rackmounting five variacs and circuit breakers -all in a very low budget place befitting such hackery, and the fire marshal told me that the wire size and type was OK but the hookup was illegal without conduits and J-boxes and a bunch of other expensive stuff, etc. He told me that if I would put outlets on the control rack and plugs on the wires then it would be "extension cords" and he'd be satisfied. He came back the next night and eyeballed it, and left. the point is that you can get away with almost anything if it is extension cords and not "temporarily wired into permanent wiring" Maybe an electrician on this BBS can comment. I know nothing about the law (or your laws) except what was said by the fire marshal then.

A neighbor asked to hook up:
        What if they wanted to use a suicide cord?

NO.

What if they assumed it would be free?

hahahaha.. er.. NO. They must bring fuel in advance to replace what they will use. Or pay in cash. Or just go away. Seems harsh but unless it's a big set like a 30-40KW, their load will matter significantly to the fuel usage. And if it is a 30-40K, then it's costing a gallon an hour to run anyway, so they should cough up some value for what they receive. It's OK to share, as long as they share the cost. Unless you have 1000 gallons of fuel and don't mind burning it all. They Assume .. ass-u-me makes an a55 out of u and me. If they don't pay, pull the plug. Power generation cost money and is not available in an emergency. If there is a real reason why they need power, and they truly can't pay for it, then do as your conscience says. But if they are that bad off, as in someone is sick and needs power, they best get to one of the shelter that has been set up for sick people with various needs. they always have them, but few people know about it.

What if they threaten to sue me for loss of food, or whatever, because I refuse to share?

NO. Get off my property. Tell them to go to the red cross shelter. If they are that mean, then you don't need them skulking about.

What if I DO share, and they tell me their TV/computer, etc., got fried and I have to buy them a new one?

They sign all their rights away in front of witnesses first so they agreed not to sue or even to complain, no matter what happens with the power they are using, make it all their fault. Ask them if they are going to pay you $3500 if your genset blows up. No you don't have to buy them squat. Why would you be responsible for their stuff? You are not the power company, can't be held to Quality of Service. That sounds like something some of my neighbors would try and pull. bunch o' hooks and thugs. They need to get off my property.

This is about the harshest thing I have ever written.. geez. Sorry to write something so hard but facts have to be faced when dealing with situations.

And if I was the neighbor coming to ask for power, and was told no/get out, if I could not barter for it or for a way to get water, then I'd go home and make a fire and cook the perishables, and me and the cats would have meat for a few days. I'd find a way to get us water. That's usually not too hard if you can find a cop or the national guard and have a container, they can get you some water.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 06:34:18 AM »

Al

I have a maple tree that grows over on to my property.  It had these "sucker branches" that looked like they could break off and crash on my antenna supports.  I had a crew come in last spring and take them all out.  I felt a bit guilty about it because they removed more of the tree than I wanted them to but the neighbors didn't seem to mind (it's their tree).  Anyway that guilt went away after the first few wind storms.   I could not do the work myself because of the height of the branches and location.   I look at the cost as antenna insurance.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »

Al

I have a maple tree that grows over on to my property.  It had these "sucker branches" that looked like they could break off and crash on my antenna supports.  I had a crew come in last spring and take them all out.  I felt a bit guilty about it because they removed more of the tree than I wanted them to but the neighbors didn't seem to mind (it's their tree).  Anyway that guilt went away after the first few wind storms.   I could not do the work myself because of the height of the branches and location.   I look at the cost as antenna insurance.

A similar thing happened here. A huge rotten very old old tree with a couple of branches 1 FT in diameter was just inside the neighbor's property line but one of the branches was over my garage and I could tell the tree was really getting rotten. A crack started to develop and I called the property owner, the landlord as the neighbor was a rent house. I told them I'd split the $650 cost of removing the tree and they didn't want to pay anything on account of the crack wasn't going to drop the branch on their house. I called the tree service out and had the part overhanging my property cut off. I was charged $350. 8 months later during a fall storm the rest of the 60 FT tree, some 2 FT diameter at the base, fell onto their property destroying the fence and  lawnmower shack in their back yard. If it had fallen on their house it would have been like our friend's house in the other thread.They tried to blame me for it. I felt bad for them but it certainly wasn't my fault. They left it lying there for several months. heh rent house.. its the worst to live next to one. on the other hand you don't have to take any guff off the inhabitants.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015