The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:50:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Sandy - QRV  (Read 31606 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:55 AM »

Here we go...power just went away and came back after about a minute at 0830.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »

From what I just heard at least 2 of the Bounty's crew are missing.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »

Good luck to you all. May God bless you. Now stay low and batten down the hatches.

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »

Supposed to snow over here on west side of W.Va. Alleghenies. Nothing yet, just some rain. Wind is supposed to start this afternoon.

Joe, GMS, heard you 20-over talking to Tron on 7295.  I'd gotten off air earlier talking to Glen, GPE,  in Altoona. He's expecting a lot of rain and wind.  Could barely hear Tron. I'm in his fringe area since moving farther west and south in '95.

RICK  *W3RSW*
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »

Lost power at about 0930.  On generator power since 1000, have the genset under a lean-to tarp tent.  Helped  the neighbor with the new 2.5KW Honda rig a similar lean-to to run his generator.  Another neighbor said the probable cause of the momentary crap out at 0800 was an flash over of a pine tree branch down the road against a high line, he saw  a tree on fire there, and stopped to tell the owner, not sure if the current outage is related to this.  This is  about the 4th or 5th time in the last two years we have had outages due to simple flash overs, none were caused by downed trees or broken branches.  CL&P has to do a better job of keeping the lines clear.

Things outside still pretty quiet about 18 knots steady, with gusts to 35, light rain/mist. Local high tide around 0930 put water onto the streets near the Mystic shipyard south of the US 1 bridge downtown.

Pretty bummed about the 2 missing from Bounty , praying for them and the folks who are out there trying to find them.  Reports said they were taking on 2 feet of water per hour, and had 10 feet onboard when they abandoned ship. 

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

Joe, GMS, heard you 20-over talking to Tron on 7295.  I'd gotten off air earlier talking to Glen, GPE,  in Altoona. He's expecting a lot of rain and wind.  Could barely hear Tron. I'm in his fringe area since moving farther west and south in '95.

Sorry Rick we did not have a chance to work you.  Thanks for the FB signal report OM. 

Hope all is going ok....

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
kb3ouk

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

Latest news I heard about the Bounty is that it sank shortly after the Coast Guard picked up the crew.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

ABC News report on Bounty at:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/crew-tall-ship-off-nc-abandons-ship-17587146?page=1

Bob - NE
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »

Just had a slight uptick on the barometer at 3:30P

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »

false alarm. it dropped 0.04.  Still have commercial power.

4:45PM update: barometer upticked 0.02 and has been steady at 28.94 for the last 40 or so minutes.

6:03PM update: Barometer definitely on the rise.

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »

Good Luck to all of you folks in the path of Sandy,  and of her effects.

A local club member,  Doug - N6TQS was one of those rescued from the Bounty.

Here is a Video or some of the Rescue:

http://gcaptain.com/coast-guard-helicopter-crews-save/

It is often over-subscribed,  but interesting when finally available.

Personally, I gotta LOVE the Government  Responders!  Great Job in difficult conditions ... although two crew members  still appear to be missing.

Good Luck to all Stations,  Vic
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

Semper Paratus

"
 PORTSMOUTH, Va. (AP) - UPDATE: The Coast Guard says it has found one of the missing crew members of a tall ship that went down off the North Carolina coast, but she is unresponsive.

Lt. Mike Patterson said crews are taking 42-year-old Claudene Christian to the hospital. The Coast Guard is still searching for the captain of the HMS Bounty.

"

Hurrican pfarty on 3875.

KLC
klc

What? Me worry?
w1vtp

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »

I lost power at 2 PM.  Went to bed and took a nap - got up at 4 PM, dragged out the 8 KW generator and restored power.  We got power back at 9 PM tonight.

Checked into the pfarty on 3875 while on emergency power running flea power.  After power was restored, checked back in at my usual 250 watt power level.  At one point my feed line broke free and whacked my window - I just about filled my shorts.  Went out and secured the line - had to do it twice.  Finally, I used some bungie cords wrapped around the tower.

Interesting - the bacon frying noise showed up on the band - the same noise I heard last year during hurricane Irene.  Wonder what causes that?

Al
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »

Interesting - the bacon frying noise showed up on the band - the same noise I heard last year during hurricane Irene.  Wonder what causes that?

Al

Could be static discharge from the wind on the tips or ends of your antenna.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »

It's EMI from the weather control machine.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 11:56:40 PM »

Thats HAARP firing up the weather wobbulator again.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA3VJB
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 05:35:50 AM »

Made it through the night.  Everyone here is fine. Power went out around 8:30pm, and ten minutes later this tree came down on my car.  Will deal with it after sunup. Generator's on, house and Radio Lodge are undamaged so far.  Worst seems to have passed, with light rain, light winds.

Just right for chain saw action.

Hope y'all are alright too --- especially the NY, NJ coastal areas.

* IMG_3518.JPG (101.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 461 times.)
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »

Paul,

What a bummer!

If I had a puppy named Sandy, I'd kick it in the face.

Marty

P.S. Now you get to find out that those car parts that you thought were sheet metal and plastic are really gold with paint on them.

AMI #20, GACW #786
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »

Whew! that was close.  No power loss despite 70% of the town being out. Did have 4 or 5 one second interruptions over several hours.  Not sure if it was power company trying to backfeed circuits to keep as many up or debris falling on wires.

A small limb hit the roof. need to inspect for damage.  Other than that, everything is still upright including the ants..

Bob
W1RKW
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »

Paul, and all seriously affected, very sorry about your misfortune. 
Snowing over here now and clear into Ohio too. We won't get the two or more feet that's occurring up in the mountains, but enough to be crappy winter conditions. 
4 wh drive only, traffic lights out, most out of power in county east of us. 
Will plow this pm if nothing melts.  Big winds stopped this morning. Two hours power out but back on now here at house.  ..for now.

Natural gas appliances extremely reliable here; hot water, millivolt controlled stoves ( no add'l power needed to run), same for Lennox fireplace insert, etc. all keeping us toasty.  Big forced air furnace with blower is down, of course.

Lights other than LED flashlights?  Good old kerosene lamps. 
Qrp baby, but why bother?

RICK  *W3RSW*
kb3ouk

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »

Power never went out here except for a few momentary drops, probably branches shorting the lines to ground. But from what I understand, is there still more to come?

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »

After the evil Media said we could lose power for a week, I start getting questions (like I know watt). No, the propane heat need  lectricity to run, No, we don't have a chord of wood. No, you don't like coal. During the rush at the Homely Despot (I wanted to buy some fasteners), the wife asked a clerk if they had generators for sale. "No". "We sold out last Friday."

I had a lot of fun dropping the "well, I wanted to buy a generator but you didn't" for most of the day.

We will now be able to revisit 'generator and heat issues'. Now I will have value.

This post may destruct if she sees this.

klc

Sri  bout yer loss Paul. But, now it looks like you can get a newer car. Maybee one of them 'lectrical cars.

What? Me worry?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »

500 miles away we have sustained winds of 35mph and gusts to 60+!
I lost power last night at 9:30PM and fired up the backup. Power back on this morning at 10AM but center of the storm ain't here yet!!

160 and 75M antennas are pieces parts.
A couple trees down and winds are still 35+!

* DSCN3721.JPG (775.31 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 483 times.)

* DSCN3728.JPG (861.02 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 437 times.)

* DSCN3729.JPG (844.88 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 445 times.)
K7EDL
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »

After the evil Media said we could lose power for a week, I start getting questions (like I know watt). No, the propane heat need  lectricity to run, No, we don't have a chord of wood. No, you don't like coal. During the rush at the Homely Despot (I wanted to buy some fasteners), the wife asked a clerk if they had generators for sale. "No". "We sold out last Friday."

I had a lot of fun dropping the "well, I wanted to buy a generator but you didn't" for most of the day.

We will now be able to revisit 'generator and heat issues'. Now I will have value.

This post may destruct if she sees this.

klc

Buy her the Generator for Christmas, it will make a memorable gift. Cool

Eric

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »

E,

BUY?Huh  Gack! she's got the money, I've got the Bills.. (sorry Buddley).

We got ' nuthin here in C NY. Little rain, and there was a frog in my window well, but that's it.

I'm suprised at the lack of activity last night on 80, and today on 40. There is no NO Traffic Emergency Net on 7290.

On a serious note, I hope every one is OK.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015