The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:44:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Sandy - QRV  (Read 31601 times)
WA3VJB
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »

OK.  Generator is topped off.
Porch furniture stowed.

Boat and cars in garage.

Antennas are at risk.

Otherwise ready.  Catch you when it's over.

* SandBagger Party.jpg (165.31 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 496 times.)
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »

Looks like She's going aound VT...  good....
Don't need a repeat of last year!
Still expecting power to be out for a couple days.
Still will be a "wind event".

But at least the forecast says only a couple inches of rain over 2 days.
With Irene, I got almost 8" in 12 hours.

Hope everyone stays safe, and fares well.

KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »

Cover up boys,  Good luck to you all..
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »

Only very slight winds and very light rain (didn't start until 3-4 in the morning). I guess the worst is yet to come.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »

yep, all secured here too. Freezer packed with water bottles. Genset tested good yesterday. Inverter installed and working. Inverter batteries fully charged.  Should be able to run some stuff without the generator.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »

Headed into work before the bus line quits.

Visit me at the Hilton on West 33rd st.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »

Only very slight winds and very light rain (didn't start until 3-4 in the morning). I guess the worst is yet to come.

You might not see much more Steve, though your part of the state sticks out into the predicted path moreso than we do until you get up to the Elizabeth City area. We're in the 1-3" rain band and haven't seen a drop yet.

Maybe when/if it turns into NJ/NY there will be more impact, so far here in NC an hour or so from the coast things are quiet with only the occasional gust of wind. 2500 people without power on the coast due to a downed limb. I see they've already downgraded the expected rainfall amounts but the media is still hyping it as a 'Superstorm'. Guess the 'Storm of the Century' mantra from Irene wore thin. One of these times they're bound to be right.

At least a lot of the foliage is gone north of CT. That should lessen the damage caused by falling trees or limbs.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

The Weather Channel = The Weather Armageddon Channel
W4EWH

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »

At least a lot of the foliage is gone north of CT. That should lessen the damage caused by falling trees or limbs.

My wife wanted me to blow some leaves off the front lawn on Thursday. I told her that Mother Nature would do it for us!

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W4EWH

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

OK.  Generator is topped off. ...

Otherwise ready.  Catch you when it's over.

I've got two generators, two cans of gas, kerosene, lanterns, Naphtha, and extra soup.

I'm so well prepared, I'm hoping that the storm does hit hard, which (at least in my case) is a great argument for gun control.  Wink

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »

What is the Naptha for?

Bill
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »

Hmmm....

Have 2 generators (one BIG generator (12.5kw, and one EFFICIENT (3.2kW inverter jobbie) generator, 20 gallons of gasoline, enough food for about a week, and of course several bottles of wine (that's the important stuff!)  Wink

But, according to the disaster preppers, I'm barely prepared for anything.

Oh well  Cool

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »

Some winds up to 70 MPH here along with lots of rain!  Generator all ready if we need it.  Monday and Tuesday worse days here.

This Afternoon Rain. High near 59. Breezy, with a northeast wind 14 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tonight Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 49. Windy, with a north wind 23 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Monday Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 52. Very windy, with a north wind 33 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Monday Night Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 47. Very windy, with a north wind 49 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Tuesday Showers. High near 47. Very windy, with a south wind 47 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Talking to the Tron on 40 metros right now. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »

Not taking any chances..dropping the tilt-down tower with Mr Mosely..we're not supposed to be in Sandys path but then again..besides I get the chance to try out the balun for hopefully a less askew pattern off the front end..hope the rest of you will fare OK............and by the way Bill..yah I'm wondering too what the Naptha is for..??   73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

naptha, for a good old fashion cigarette lighter

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K3ZS

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »

Another "Storm of the Century", like the ones we had a few years ago.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »

Took down all the antennas off the tower this morning in 3 1/2 hours. Even the wire antennas are now laying on the ground. Antennas on the roof are also off and secured at ground level. The tower was repaired several weeks ago so I wasn't going to take any chances. Beam antennas were scheduled to come down for maintenance and new coax anyway although I didn't expected to take them down all at the same time. The only functional antenna I have now is sitting on my HT.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

Still calm here. Supposedly the worst won't be until Monday into Tuesday with winds upwards of 35 MPH with gusts to 50. We'll see.

Lower my 10m antenna to the ground last night. Should have left it up through today. Missed some FB conditions on 10.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

A lot of schools around here have already closed for tomorrow, some already called Tuesday off too. Even my college, Penn State Mont Alto, is closed for tomorrow. Which is good, since I don't really want to be making the hour drive to there in the rain.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »

Hope everyone gets through this with no damage and minimal inconvenience. I dropped the wire antenna to the ground and nested the tower. The generator is ready and I've got plenty of gasoline stockpiled and dozens of boxes of Cheerios so who could ask for anything more? It appears my area is going to experience a "wind event" so... we shall see!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

Already have a roof leak in the shop. The wind has been out of an unusual direction for the whole day with steady rain. It must be blowing under the strom collar for the furnace exhaust stack. The leak didn't show until after dark so I won't know until tomorrow. Plastic now over the equipment in that corner.
  Going to try and patch/fix it tomorrow at lunch even if it is raining.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »

" Even the wire antennas are now laying on the ground. "

P,

Yew were a soLid S9 here  into C NY.

klc

What? Me worry?
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »

Spent the weekend at my house at Edisto Beach.  Friday had some swells but went shrimping and had a good day. Caught 100 pounds or so.  Not much competition - most people stayed home.  Later Friday at high tide the swells came into the road and into main street.  

Was a little worse Saturday morning at high tide but not much. Had 25 mph winds all day and rain bands. Cleared off at dusk Saturday and that was about it.

To hear the news media reports we had an event - didn't happen!

Pat
N4LTA
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 05:50:27 AM »

Hams in N. Indiana near Lake Michigan:  Hurricane Sandy forecasted to produce northerly winds to 60 mph and 25 foot waves on the Lake beginning this afternoon and continuing Tuesday into Tuesday night before abating.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:53 AM »

Good luck to all out there, especially those down in NJ and Delmarva area.    Not to bad here yet - steady in the 20s and gusting over 30.  Have the 17.5 KW ready to roll, tank full, 20 gallons  in reserve, 5 of which was brought over by my neighbor, who I send power to. Last year after Irene, we had 3 of my neighbors running their vital bus loads off us.  This year, one of them has his own 2.5KW...

...As I am typing this, just heard the  crew of HMS Bounty, which was here in New London last week, has abandoned ship off Cape Hatteras.  They left here on Thursday night, headed for St. Pete. FL.  I have been following their track on their web site http://www.tallshipbounty.org/index.php , and they have been heading into the storm ever since they left.  Was wondering what they were thinking....Say a prayer for them...

Just checked their web site to get the URL for this posting.  Apparently all hands are off the ship in survival suits in two lifeboats, ship is intact and still afloat 90 miles SE of Hatteras.  They had a power failure and lost all of their their bilge pumps.  CG ordered them to abandon ship, perhaps they can get some emergency pumps on board to save her.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015