The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:22:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed Changes in Licensing Rules includes Decreasing # of VEs from 3 to 2  (Read 26987 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »

and:

always follow the money to find the facts.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »

Wrong.
The ARRL had nothing to do with it.

Baloney,...

I bet the number of ARRL supporters who were for eliminating the code greatly outweighed the number who were against it. Citing just one individual’s opinion even if they were from the ARRL back then is meaningless.

Always consider the source...

Duh! The proposal was generated and pushed by the FCC. Go read the comments to the FCC. Speculation here ("I bet") is meaningless.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »

Duh! The proposal was generated and pushed by the FCC. Go read the comments to the FCC. Speculation here ("I bet") is meaningless.

The FCC normally doesn't do anything unless they get pressure or requests to make changes from outside paying sources. Why would the FCC care if things like the code requirement were dropped? They were no longer even involved in administering the exams anyway. They only thing they care or cared about is getting the money from issuing licenses and the renewals.

Equipment manufacturers, FCC, ARRL/QST magazine, etc. One hand always washes the other and that’s only one example.

I guess you missed this the first time around: "To support dropping the code requirement, the FCC cited changes in Article 25 of the international Radio Regulations adopted at World Radiocommunication Conference 2003. WRC-03 deleted the Morse testing requirement for amateur applicants seeking HF privileges and left it up to individual countries to determine whether or not they want to mandate Morse testing."

And, see FCC Headlines from 2006, paragraph 3: http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/contacts/headlines/MorseCodeElim.pdf

Of course, the misinformed radio conspiracists would argue that the ARRL was behind it all just to sell more books and advertising. Nothing more then the silly ARRL back room, black robe, gangster theories. Next, we'll hear that the ARRL is causing global warming and warts.

K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »

Quote: "To support dropping the code requirement, the FCC cited changes in Article 25 of the international Radio Regulations adopted at World Radiocommunication Conference 2003. WRC-03 deleted the Morse testing requirement for amateur applicants seeking HF privileges and left it up to individual countries to determine whether or not they want to mandate Morse testing."

If I remember correctly, what happened is that ARRL supported dropping the code exam requirement at a pre WRC-03 meeting (I think the pre meeting was held somewhere in Latin America), which passed. The no code exam recommendation went to WRC-03 and ultimately was approved. Then one or more petitioners here in U.S.A. other than ARRL petitioned FCC to drop the code exam requirement citing the elimination of the requirement internationally.  One theory, and I think there is something to it, is that is how ARRL wanted it to play out so that it wasn't overtly involved in the FCC rulemaking because it wanted to avoid ticking off its members who were code exam requirement supporters.

As far as licensing and VE exams are concerned, any changes that could potentially impact examination integrity should be studied very carefully before any changes are made. FCC may or may not study it carefully. My understanding is that for rulemaking considered to be a low priority such as ham radio (compared eg to to higher priority/higher profile rulemaking in the telecommunications/commercial context), the Commission will have law student interns review comments and tally up viewpoints for and against and then write up a draft decision that generally favors the majority view provided it doesn't conflict with law/regs. That draft is then forwarded to mid-level counsel for review of the language, legal citations and applicable law. At this point, barring any substantive changes, the draft that comes from mid level counsel is close to being in final form of a decision that the Commission will publish.  Note that through this entire process, the people at FCC involved are only remotely familiar with ham radio and the true impact(s) of the Commission's final decision, and often, their perspective may, at times, be colored by the FCC's desire to reduce administrative burdens/costs on FCC. About the only time the real world effects of what the FCC is doing is brought to Commission staff's attention is when ARRL counsel submits comments or has a sit down meeting with FCC staff in Washington, and ARRL counsel will be pushing ARRL's agenda in the matter, which may or may not jive with what is in the best interests of the amateur service depending on your viewpoint.

Brad
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

Next, we'll hear that the ARRL is causing global warming and warts.

Alas, we now know the answer!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
John Holotko

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »

I say go back to the old way. No VE's. You take the exams at the FCC.  And, make the tests hard.  Cheesy

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
wd9ive
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 07:55:11 PM »

the dumbing down of everything... Cry
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

Yep, the world is a bad place. Knuckle draggers are everywhere.  Cool

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 08:59:58 AM »

Yep, the world is a bad place. Knuckle draggers are everywhere.  Cool

Yes and the real world doesn't have moderators.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015