The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:00:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, where are the AM Tall Ships?  (Read 47092 times)
ka1bwo

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

Tom Vu  Look at you Now!!!
www.larc.ca/BIG-GUNS.ppt

Rook at you with new antenna falm!

I'm slowly getting the station back on the higher bands, so will catch you on 10M maybe.   It's a slow process cuz I don't want to space out and pop anything.

BTW, I can't read your ".ppt" link.  The computer says I gots to buy a special program from Billy Gates to do so.

T

Tom,
I worked a number of stations on 10M yesterday running 25 Watts. The band was open all day long with strong signals. At 6:00PM I even work Dave W2VW in Jerseeeeey he was 20+.
Joe
 here in Idaho   
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

Get one of the free readers or Open Office.

BTW, I can't read your ".ppt" link.  The computer says I gots to buy a special program from Billy Gates to do so.
w1vtp

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »

Get one of the free readers or Open Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13
K5WLF
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:42 PM »

LibreOffice is the new fork of OpenOffice that's being developed and improved. I guess Sun put a whoa to OpenOffice either being a freebie or open source, not sure exactly. But, a bunch of the OpenOffice team jumped ship and started LibreOffice. So, Libre is the one to get for the latest upgrades and features. It's free, it's open source and it works great. I use it every day at work to interact with a whole bunch of MS Office folks.

http://www.libreoffice.org/
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »

Apache OpenOffice is still being updated.

http://www.openoffice.org
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »

The whole story behind the two was some members of the OpenOffice project staerted LibreOffice after Oracle bought out Sun, because they feared Oracle would discontinue OpenOffice. Well, they almost did, but then decided to give the code and name over to Apache. The biggest difference I know of is LibreOffice is supposed to be less dependent on Java compared to OpenOffice.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K5WLF
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »

The whole story behind the two was some members of the OpenOffice project staerted LibreOffice after Oracle bought out Sun, because they feared Oracle would discontinue OpenOffice. Well, they almost did, but then decided to give the code and name over to Apache. The biggest difference I know of is LibreOffice is supposed to be less dependent on Java compared to OpenOffice.

Thanks for that background. I didn't know the whole story.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »

Tnx for the info Al and Steve.   I'll see what I can do.

I just hate fooling with these add-ons. When they start axing questions like, "Do you want to make this your default program"  or "You will automatically install Google gold-homo bar with this free software" -   That's when I start to get nervous.   Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »

Attached are the four power point slides with Tom's stuff. I converted all the ppt slides to gif's and then pulled Tom's 4 slides and made two pdf's. Not great resolution, but this is ham radio. Converting the entire side presentation to pdf blossoms the file to 286 MB.

* gif1-2-big guns.pdf (3066.03 KB - downloaded 236 times.)
* gif-3-4-big guns.pdf (2970.82 KB - downloaded 228 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

Tom-JJ,

Very impressive antenna farm.  I had seem some pictures before but not the complete set.  I can certainly appreciate all the effort it took in building the JJ super station!  I am sure your log book shows the results of your efforts!

Have you ever ran into Jon, AA1K on 160M ?  I think Jon is pretty much a CW only op but not sure about that.  He is touted to be a big gun on 160 within the DX circles. A friend and I helped him many years ago put up his first 1/4 wave vertical on that band.  Not sure what antennas he is using now.  I hear him very early many mornings  on Top Band calling CQ DX with his keyer.   I am not sure what his DXCC country list is up to on top band but its pretty darn good.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »

The JJ antenna setup is a sight to behold in person. The work or detail that's gone into it to make it is amazing too. Tom gave me a tour of his shack and ant. farm a couple of years ago.  He even demonstrated various ant. performance.  It's truly an amazing setup.  Glad I got that tour.   If there was a model to use to build a setup like that, it's his.  It beats the pants off of that Newington setup, not that theirs is bad but the comparison is different.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

Have you ever ran into Jon, AA1K on 160M ?  
Joe, W3GMS

Haven't heard him on, Joe, though, I don't get on 160M much.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Yep, antennas, towers and stations are like a snapshot in time.  We spend lots of time and effort building them and then suddenly they are torn down and gone. There are countless thousands of beautiful ham and commercial installations that are no longer. I wish there was a way to appreciate everything we have more intensely each day, but we take most of it for granted.

I'm feeling a little down and nostalgic today after burying one of our cats.  Buried him right under one of the towers - next to Yaz I and Yaz II.  Great monument for them all.  Coony was 16 years old and was born here. Great ratter and knew the forest well.  Yaz III keeps looking around for him. Life goes on. [sigh]

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2012, 07:16:25 AM »

I'm feeling a little down and nostalgic today after burying one of our cats.  Buried him right under one of the towers - next to Yaz I and Yaz II.  Great monument for them all.  Coony was 16 years old and was born here. Great ratter and knew the forest well.  Yaz III keeps looking around for him. Life goes on. [sigh]

T
[/quote]

Tom,

So sorry to hear about loosing Coony.  We have 2 cats here, Luci an Lottie and as much as we prepare mentally for when its their time, its always very difficult when they pass.  Usually after loosing one of our beloved animals we say, "that's it, no more pets"  but then after a little time we find another great pet and continue the enjoyable journey. 

Joe, GMS

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »

Have you ever ran into Jon, AA1K on 160M ?  I think Jon is pretty much a CW only op but not sure about that.  He is touted to be a big gun on 160 within the DX circles. A friend and I helped him many years ago put up his first 1/4 wave vertical on that band.  Not sure what antennas he is using now.  I hear him very early many mornings  on Top Band calling CQ DX with his keyer.   I am not sure what his DXCC country list is up to on top band but its pretty darn good.

Jon was on last night and most every other nite, CW of course; a real nice guy. He is still running the single vertical with a ton of radials and has improved the hearing end. Also has a very quiet location. Big gun but 2nd tier to many and comes in usually in the top 5 in a 160 only or single band 160 in an all band contest; dont think he ever won.

Entered the CQ 160 CW twice, won once here, that was enough pain. I do get on at times in the ARRL and try for WAS, made it several times but at least I got to sleep. Now with huge stations up in VE1/VY1 land its no sense to compete since they are lumped into US scores.

Carl

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »

Have you ever ran into Jon, AA1K on 160M ?  I think Jon is pretty much a CW only op but not sure about that.  He is touted to be a big gun on 160 within the DX circles. A friend and I helped him many years ago put up his first 1/4 wave vertical on that band.  Not sure what antennas he is using now.  I hear him very early many mornings  on Top Band calling CQ DX with his keyer.   I am not sure what his DXCC country list is up to on top band but its pretty darn good.

Jon was on last night and most every other nite, CW of course; a real nice guy. He is still running the single vertical with a ton of radials and has improved the hearing end. Also has a very quiet location. Big gun but 2nd tier to many and comes in usually in the top 5 in a 160 only or single band 160 in an all band contest; dont think he ever won.

Entered the CQ 160 CW twice, won once here, that was enough pain. I do get on at times in the ARRL and try for WAS, made it several times but at least I got to sleep. Now with huge stations up in VE1/VY1 land its no sense to compete since they are lumped into US scores.

Carl

Thanks for the update on Jon, Carl.  He is a good guy and we go way back.  Glad to hear that his vertical is still up.  I remember he had built and amp using I believe a pair of 813's.  A good friend of mine, W3TTW who is now 96 did most of the climbing when that vertical was put up.  It was a fun day.

Joe, GMS 

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015