The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:10:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, where are the AM Tall Ships?  (Read 47088 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

Wowsers! Been away for a few days. Came back to a board full of activity about actually getting on the air, as if folks are awaking from hibernation. Cool!

A lot of good points and counterpoints made, but since it's a thread about "tall ship" (BIG signal)stations, it makes arguments about running a 100 watt rig a moot point. From my perspective related to old gear, it breaks down something like...

Low Power: 32V, Apache, DX-100, etc

Medium Power: Johnson 500, Globe King, 30K, T-368 etc.

High Power: GPT-750, KW-1, BC transmitters (1KW+ range), etc

Homebrew tube & Class E rigs according to power output as well.

From my experience, you need at least a medium power signal on the low bands at night to be heard well & reliably. Low power can work, but it's nowhere near reliable unless you're close by. This is a lesson taught to me by the likes of K1JJ, WA1EKV(now K1KW) and others back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Just as bad are the large carriers that are poorly modulated. I can't make sense of this one. S9+5 or 10, and I'm getting 40% of what they're saying.

As far as age goes, the numbers have been 'scaled' a bit. 60 is the new 40, etc etc. My dad is in his mid 70s and still riding his Harley every chance he gets. When I was a little whipper, 65 yr old people were OLD and they looked and acted old. Not so today. You've got a few more good years in you, Tom.  Wink

To the operating part, I must admit that the move south has opened my eyes to why you don't hear more 4 & 5 Land stations on in spring/summer months: the static is loud and constant. If I'm on at night it takes a signal like Steve/HX or similar to silence the noise, otherwise a headache develops. Stations I can work easily in fall/winter are tough or impossible copy these months(this is when the 100 watt stations any distance away are RF-invisible). I can hear Pete/CWA and Rich/N2RY pretty reliably on 75/80, along with Joe/PJP who is solid. But he's running a big signal most nights. Jeff/NBC is another beacon on 75. And of course, Robert/Voice Modulated Carrier.

I did work Bill a month or so back during a quiet night, and heard Rob/UJ last week for the first time this season. Conditions will continue to improve as the WX cools and the storms settle down.

In the meantime, newcomer or OT, it's a great time to upgrade the station from 'barely readable' to 'loud 'n proud' if that's the kind of thing you dig. If not, you can always talk locally and enjoy early evenings on 75/80/160. When I was in that position, it was never discouraging; always encouraging to improve my station. The big signals served as my goal to shoot for.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »

Tom's medical age chart is for Federal reimbursement purposes only.  Actually if you look on pp's. 16, 235, 343, 1245, 2045 and appendicies I, 2ii and 15g  of the current Affordable Care Act, you'll find that at age 70 you are no longer a person, but a UNIT.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »

Tom's medical age chart is for Federal reimbursement purposes only.  Actually if you look on pp's. 16, 235, 343, 1245, 2045 and appendicies I, 2ii and 15g  of the current Affordable Care Act, you'll find that at age 70 you are no longer a person, but a UNIT.

Yes, 70 year old "Carbon Units"  according to Veeja.

T

* Carbon Unit.png (55.42 KB, 261x193 - viewed 534 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:52 PM »

I have a unit for you!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »

Whew!
Heavy man.

RICK  *W3RSW*
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

Which leads to a question often pondered and discussed in the medical field:

"What happens when the drug-crazed hippies of the 60's and 70's become geriatric patients?"

Hang on a few more years and I'll let you know.........................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »

Which leads to a question often pondered and discussed in the medical field:

"What happens when the drug-crazed hippies of the 60's and 70's become geriatric patients?"

Hang on a few more years and I'll let you know.........................

5-10-5 slow release fertilizer Wink

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w1vtp

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »

Just remember Tom, someday you will be in an old age home with someone else feeding you while your trying to be heard with an inside slinky antenna looking for someone to talk to  Wink While some young kid tall ship "squashes you like a little bug" Smiley
How do I sound, how do I sound.....
Joe, W3GMS

Yep, this may happen to many of us.

Though, with some planning and some extra money, it could be a much different scene...

Assuming we need to stay in a nursing home due to special care, maybe they will permit us to have a laptop. Probably so, especially in the future with computers tied to the hip.

An "elderly" gentleman could make a deal with another ham or even a 2-way radio site on a hill to lease some space in their radio cabinet. Set up a remote rig via the internet and hook it to an ass kicking antenna on the tower.  This will probably become more common as the baby boomers retire but just HAVE to keep their fingers in radio.

I know W6RJ, the owner of Ham Radio Outlet, lives in a hi hi FB   LA, Calif upper crust home with his FB XYL. But remote controlled 20 miles away is his tower system on a high hill with a rotary 75M Yagi. He holds court in the 75M DX window when he's on and works Eu like a pro. The XYL just sees him at his FB desk in the den and smiles like June Lockhart.

T

Exactly the point I'm trying to make with a local well-respected ham in my neighborhood, Ted W1ALE.  He had a couple of scares recently where he got stuck in the snow on his 500 foot driveway that has a 13% grade to his much to be envied QTH. He gets around using a walker and (can you imagine this) had to crawl his way up his house.  He has decided to move into an assisted living facility and thinks he will get by by throwing a wire out the window.  I don't think it will work for several reasons that probably aren't germane to your comment.  I am trying to convince him that there is a way to enjoy his excellent location from the relative comfort of an assisted living room but he just cannot get over the idea that he will be doing this from a computer.  "I just cannot get used to a computer."  I've known Ted for over 50 years and will be miss his voice from the HF bands.

I intend to use technology to get me past this difficulty if I get too old (infirm) to stay at my present QTH (if, indeed, that becomes a problem).  There just is NO LONGER a reason to not be a tall ship on the air these days if one has to live with any restrictions.  In Ted's case I've always admired him and although he does not operate QRO I always look at him as a tall ship if not in power, in spirit and on-the-air presence.  In my case, my hope is that my friends would come to my rescue and help me get past any technological hurdles so I can keep in touch with my friends.  It really is a shame to miss anyone's presence on the air for any reason whether it be health or advanced age problems.

Al

* 10-w1ale_qth-comp.jpg (209.08 KB, 1780x1180 - viewed 580 times.)

* 08-w1ale_qth-comp.jpg (256.84 KB, 1788x1184 - viewed 550 times.)

* 07-w1ale_qth-comp.jpg (297.64 KB, 1788x1184 - viewed 565 times.)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

Perhaps the ARRL could open an assisted living center, complete with decent ham station(s), much like some church groups and professional organizations operate...

Bill
K2PG

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »

I have been on 160 sporadically, hanging out on 1885. Due to the job situation, I have been limiting my operating to keep the electric bill down. I did land another job, but it is a temporary, rather low-paying position as an office clerk. Nothing in broadcasting around here...Cumulus killed that industry when they acquired the place where I used to work.

I operate mostly CW on 40 and 80...no AM "tall ships" on those bands here.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »

Uh....then why are you posting on an AM board to a thread about AM powerhouse stations?

Many powerful AM stations on 40 & 80, but you won't hear them if you're operating CW. Obvious to most.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2012, 07:19:32 AM »

Perhaps the ARRL could open an assisted living center, complete with decent ham station(s), much like some church groups and professional organizations operate...

Bill

I have heard that individuals with "good locations" were thinking about starting to lease out time with their internet controlled rigs.  The remote op would be billed based on the time he uses.  It would be like server farms where you pay based on what system capability you need.  If you did not need the big legal limit broadband amp and wanted to run only 100W your bill would be lower.  SSB charges would be less than AM ops.  If you wanted a multi-band speech compression and limiting that would be an option that you would pay for.  If you selected the HLR style wire array, that would be extra bucks over a dipole.  The pay for performance model would be the guiding principle Wink

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »

Kind of negates the charter of ham radio doesn't it?  For starters even a horrible lawyer could say it was pay for commercial service.  Remember when we couldn't even mention a price on the air?

No use damaging our case further at this time with FCC, ETc.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »

That bridge may have already been crossed. There are numerous places around the world that have a ham station. You can rent out the station (along with accommodations, etc) for your own DX vacation or similar.

Kind of negates the charter of ham radio doesn't it?  For starters even a horrible lawyer could say it was pay for commercial service.  Remember when we couldn't even mention a price on the air?

No use damaging our case further at this time with FCC, ETc.

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »

That bridge may have already been crossed. There are numerous places around the world that have a ham station. You can rent out the station (along with accommodations, etc) for your own DX vacation or similar.

Yep, just like Budget-Rent-a-Shack.

Here's a small list of ham vacation rentals around the whirl. Since Hawaii is included, looks like the FCC has not jumped on it.

Actual links:
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=14359

Listing:
Palau Rental Shack
P49V ham rental in Aruba
6Y1V Contest Superstation
CX Uruguay Ham Radio Rental
6Y1V Jamaica
Kennedy Safaris
OM0A Rental DX shack
Radio Syd in The Gambia
KP2M Virgin Islands
FM5BH shack rental

Considering the Caribbean is possibly the BEST ham QTH in the whirl, it would be an interesting experience.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

Mr T,

Makes me feel better about the place I have in mind.. Here's an example of one of the groundskeepers..

TALL Ships need only apply:

ps. for a fee I can get you in..

* The keeper of my JOHNSON.jpg (104.53 KB, 800x600 - viewed 631 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »

Yeah, now that's my kind of babe. I'm in love.

But what's with those Hulk Hogan arms? Someone trying to fool me with photoshop?

Youse gots good taste, Jeff.

T

W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »

Ha! 'Hulk' never looked so good.. (She climbs towers too!!)

The point is, (as I try and relate to Bill's original post), that ACTIVITY defines "Tall Ships"..  I remember first starting out just listening to voices on my Drake 2C that I spent the whole summer saving money for.. Those voices are still on da air today.. It's a warm and fuzzy feeling making contacts with folks that were the impetus just to get a license in the first place.. If you don't get on with an ever present voice, you ain't no "tall ship".. You become a footnote in   " Yes Sonny, remember how loud he was?"

Make a piss-weaker from New Joisey proud.. and GET ON THE AIR, static or NOT!!

I'm turning on da filaments right now.. now where is my groundskeeper to help me??

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »

Legally you renting the real estate and accoutrements, not air time in your South Sea.paradise.

Interesting twist so maybe not push for an interpretation or judgement.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »

I have been on 160 sporadically, hanging out on 1885. Due to the job situation, I have been limiting my operating to keep the electric bill down. I did land another job, but it is a temporary, rather low-paying position as an office clerk. Nothing in broadcasting around here...Cumulus killed that industry when they acquired the place where I used to work.

Phil,

Nice to hear that you DO have a job now,  even if it is not in your primary field.

What happened to you,  could have/can happen to any of us.

Your 21E on 160M,  certainly  puts you in the Tall Ship category in my book.  Have heard you on 1885 some Winter past.

Nice to hear from you,  had wondered how you were doing. 72,  Vic
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »

I'm with Tom - that's a great groundskeeper/keeper of the Johnson, Jeff. Always keeps things interesting when you have well-qualified help.

A few weeks back I tried to fire up on 75 when you were on with the gang but could barely hear you through the static at times. I think Kerri might've been in there too, not sure. That's how bad it gets down here when there are a lot of storms around. Hot, humid wx results in S9+40 static levels. Not crashes, either. Niagara Falls static. Amazing, but true. I thought the same thing when I lived up north. Tain't the same! I need to make a video of the S-meter sometime. Steve is about the only one who can crush it, and on bad nights it takes out words here and there on his signal.

Been busy here on other projects but have some radio time scheduled next week including repairs to the big rigs. Joe/PJP will be down Tuesday PM for a BC transmitter tear down Wednesday. Maybe we'll catch you guys on 75, God willin' and the river don't rise.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »

Yep, just like Budget-Rent-a-Shack.

Here's a small list of ham vacation rentals around the whirl. Since Hawaii is included, looks like the FCC has not jumped on it.

Actual links:
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=14359

Listing:
Palau Rental Shack
P49V ham rental in Aruba
6Y1V Contest Superstation
CX Uruguay Ham Radio Rental
6Y1V Jamaica
Kennedy Safaris
OM0A Rental DX shack
Radio Syd in The Gambia
KP2M Virgin Islands
FM5BH shack rental

Considering the Caribbean is possibly the BEST ham QTH in the whirl, it would be an interesting experience.

T

You seem to have overlooked Beachwood NJ.
K2PG

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »

Uh....then why are you posting on an AM board to a thread about AM powerhouse stations?

Because I DO operate an AM powerhouse station on 160. In fact, I had it on the air last night.
ka1bwo

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

Tom Vu  Look at you Now!!!
www.larc.ca/BIG-GUNS.ppt
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »

Tom Vu  Look at you Now!!!
www.larc.ca/BIG-GUNS.ppt

Rook at you with new antenna falm!

I'm slowly getting the station back on the higher bands, so will catch you on 10M maybe.   It's a slow process cuz I don't want to space out and pop anything.

BTW, I can't read your ".ppt" link.  The computer says I gots to buy a special program from Billy Gates to do so.

T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015