The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, where are the AM Tall Ships?  (Read 47091 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: September 20, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

Recently got the 75 and 40 M ants back up after the lightning strike. I hear a few PW Eastern Time Zone stations on 75 and that's about it.

Yes, I have been working the tractor and veggie garden all late summer, got a bushel of chilies, Habaneros sun-dried 'matoes and those lethal Thai peppers for the rest of the year. All I am suggesting is to light 'em up this coming weekend! And then on.

See y'all on 75? 3885, 3880, 3705, 3710? A real Manly experience, for sure, for this time of year and sunspot cycle. Where's Don? JJ? Steve? The Tron? BrenTina?

Bill
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »

Yes, we'll be back!  Speaking for myself, I've been spending much of my time up at Rattlesnake Island (only 400 watts and an antenna up at about 70 feet).  But, closing up the Island place soon, so back on at night using a real antenna and transmitter  Cool  Ready for fall/winter conditions!

It would be interesting to work you from the Island, but conditions would have to be pretty good I would think.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »

Yes, I have been working the tractor and veggie garden all late summer, got a bushel of chilies, Habaneros sun-dried 'matoes and those lethal Thai peppers for the rest of the year.
Bill

Bill,

Fantastic on the Habaneros!  They are my favorite type of hot pepper.  We did not have a garden this year so now we are paying the price. 

I hope to get a 3/8 wave inverted L up for 160M soon for some good low angle work.  You might hear GMS radio out your way this winter. 

Joe, GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

Check out 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. The AM world doesn't just revolve around 75 meters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

I was inquiring about 75 and 40 meter activity, Pete. To dial in the new antennas.

Thanks

Bill
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

Yes, we'll be back!  Speaking for myself, I've been spending much of my time up at Rattlesnake Island (only 400 watts and an antenna up at about 70 feet).  But, closing up the Island place soon, so back on at night using a real antenna and transmitter  Cool  Ready for fall/winter conditions!

It would be interesting to work you from the Island, but conditions would have to be pretty good I would think.

I wish I had 400 watts and a 70' high antenna. Right now I'm fighting away with 150 watts and a 25' high antenna.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W2JRO

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »

I wish I had 400 watts and a 70' high antenna. Right now I'm fighting away with 150 watts and a 25' high antenna.

I'm lot size limited... to a 43' vertical with base matching, and a ricebox into an Alpha 78. I probably could push the Alpha to the legal limit, but I'll probably keep it at 250W carrier. Those 3cx400's are expensive and this amp has three of them. I'm hoping to get a nice BA xmtr soon.. There's a Johnson 500 on qth.com that is within easy driving distance...just don't know if I'd give up that much coin...
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »

There's a Johnson 500 on qth.com that is within easy driving distance...just don't know if I'd give up that much coin...

Bob, W2ICQ was the former long time owner of the Johnson 500 that is over on QTH.com. Bob takes very good care of his gear and I am sure the rig works great. He sold it just about a month ago to the guy that is flipping it on QTH.com.   In my opinion its way to much money, but that is just my opinion. I have a Johnson 500 and its a good rig.    

With 1200W of plate dissipation you should be able to run legal limit with your amplifier.

Joe, W3GMS    

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 03:47:36 AM »

Check out 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. The AM world doesn't just revolve around 75 meters.

he said he wanted "A real Manly experience" not some sissy little plastic rig 10 meter experience.  "Whoops, ya faded out; band must have closed; 73 OM"

He wants to work torch strappers, big bottles, broadcast high tap PA; enough audio for two stations; 100 foot or more high dipoles, dig?
When you 1000 miles from anywhere the DX100 and 40 foot dipole doesn't make the trip in armchair style.
Unfortunately the genuine blow torch setup is limited to only a few in this day, for a variety of reasons.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »

Unfortunately the genuine blow torch setup is limited to only a few in this day, for a variety of reasons.

I would think mostly due to lack of antenna space or physical plant (or wife!) issues. 

Otherwise, high power is quite achievable - at least on 40, 75 and 160 meters on a small budget.  That aspect hasn't changed all that much in the past 40 years or so (got into ham radio 40 years ago, so only have that span of time from which to draw on).  There was the expensive way of getting on the air, and then there was the cheap path (and then the REAL cheap path, which is the preferred and only practical path for me!).

It *CAN* be done  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »

If all the static will go away!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 03:12:07 PM »

Otherwise, high power is quite achievable - at least on 40, 75 and 160 meters on a small budget.  

What do you define as high power?  I define it for ham AM as the old legal limit, i.e. around 600 w. or more output.  300 to 600 medium, 100 to 200 somewhat low, < 100 low, < 50 qrp.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »

If all the static will go away!

There was a ham down south that called his big transmitter the "Static Eliminator".  I guess he was a Tall Ship.
KC4VWU

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »

"Well, I CAN hear 'ya up here, but yer kinda piss weak!"  Who dat? Who dat?
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »

I would think mostly due to lack of antenna space or physical plant (or wife!) issues. 

Otherwise, high power is quite achievable - at least on 40, 75 and 160 meters on a small budget.  That aspect hasn't changed all that much in the past 40 years or so (got into ham radio 40 years ago, so only have that span of time from which to draw on).  There was the expensive way of getting on the air, and then there was the cheap path (and then the REAL cheap path, which is the preferred and only practical path for me!).

It *CAN* be done  Wink

So, hypothetically, suppose a fellow had the hots for one of these newfangled Class-E transmitters, and hypothetically, had most of his parts, PS, chassis, etc.
What would be the best way to obtain a set of PWM and related boards, ?   Smiley

Chris
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »

Too bad the kw limit wasn't still in effect. kilowatt input to a class E final, 900 to 950 watts out........ Shocked

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

Good question! There are different levels of "high power."   Wink

Otherwise, high power is quite achievable - at least on 40, 75 and 160 meters on a small budget.  

What do you define as high power?  I define it for ham AM as the old legal limit, i.e. around 600 w. or more output.  300 to 600 medium, 100 to 200 somewhat low, < 100 low, < 50 qrp.
WS4B
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »

Just remember ego (ie. ultra QRO) can't change physics. What I mean to say is you have to quadruple RF power to gain one lousy S-unit. Thus the signal difference on the other end of 150 watts carrier versus 1KW is less than two S-units in difference.

One does need to emit more than 375 watts to be heard and not considered to need Flomax or a surgical TURP. (PW)

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »

I agree.  375 is nice. The beauty of AM is, with sufficient carrier, one can have full quieting signals, very natural sounding without digital audio, squelch, modern noise blanker, etc.  

One or two S units is all that's required in a lot of cases to have an enjoyable qso vs. a tiring one.  A hint of atmospheric, E-line or ignition noise or the complete lack of all except a melofluous voice is music to my ears.

If only one S unit is the criteria, why even have a definition of Tall Ship?  What stations does one gravitate to when scanning or tuning across the bands?

Those with that additional S unit also usually tend to improve their antenna and audio lash-ups too.  

RICK  *W3RSW*
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

"Well, I CAN hear 'ya up here, but yer kinda piss weak!"  Who dat? Who dat?

AH, yes.................... That most famous greeting a newcomer gets his first time on AM!

Timmy at his finest! ! ! !  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »

My spectrum analyzer showed the same power level at legal limit with the "old" limit measurement (I.E. 1KW DC Input to the final) back then, as it does with the "new" limit measurement (1500 Watts PEP) today.  The analyzer shows, quite clearly, a 750 watt carrier that never varies and  2  375 (PEAK) watt sidebands when the transmitter is modulated 100%.  All of that adds up to 1500 watts (peak).

High power for amateurs is this power level.  It is legal limit.

About half of this power level is "medium" power, and really, anything under 100 watts is pretty low.  Of course there's the so-called PW power level of 10 watts and under, and flea power might be in the milliwatts range, etc, etc.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

Funny thread, especially how it's changed path....

OK, this may sound arrogant, but WTF:

Being a tall ship is all about relativity - Einstein was right....  Cheesy

A tall ship is the ressult of doing everything right RELATIVE to MOST other stations.

If everyone ran 50 watts with a Gotham vertical on 75M, then the guy with 200 watts and a G5RV at 40' would be the whirl-wide channelmaster tall ship.

But if everyone ran a 5KW broadcash transmitter with a 3el Yagi on 75M, even if we ran a 375 watt class E rig with a dipole at 60', it's a different ball game.

A few db gained here and there all add up. A 6db difference is tremendous when you realize how much more voltage must be created in the receiving antenna. A ten db difference is stellar.

Now that the AM crowd (mostly baby boomers) has had the time to advance and refine their games, it takes a lot more to be channelmaster or a tall ship than it ever did.  

Being a tall ship is also a matter of attitude.  We can have the best station in the whirl, but we still need to say something into the mike.

There are guys who do everything "right," like Tron for instance. He has a multi-element array at 180' high, can run 1KW+ out if he wants, has beautiful audio that has punch and density if need be, has hardline feedline and good connectors, a well matched antenna... He also knows how to operate the rig for maximum advantage: When condix are poor he knows what antennas to use, how to best tune his RX, when to call and when to listen, etc.   He also has an AM rap second to none.

It's a whole package, being a tall ship  -  and the bar keeps getting raised higher and higher.

A new $10,000 ricebox and big Alpha linear is not the ticket and might even retard our growth.  

Then there are the special cases... newcomers on the fast track. These learners pay their dues and focus on what it takes to do the job right. They listen well. Some even build their gear right away. These guys become tall ships quickly due to their dedication to AM and watching what the big dogs do.  Brandon/ K5IIA comes to mind here.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

Sounds more like a cult Tom; it's great we have other bands where amateurs are not being measured or judged.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »

AM IS a cult and a way of life for some.

Cheezz... sometimes you take all the fun out of it with a splash of cold water, Pete.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2JRO

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »

For most budding AM'ers, making the most of what you got is about the best we can do. And yes, that always involves learning how to do it. Some of us will never have the real estate to put the antennas the tall ships have, nor be able to run at the legal limit, or let's face it, above it,  because of the surrounding neighbors and their cheap poorly shielded consumer electronics. Those two factors, more often that not, go hand in hand.
You CAN sound quite respectable WITH a ricebox and a big amp, provided you have a proper audio front end and measuring equipment to make sure you have the best quality signal possible, in both in power and cleanliness.

You can also skip the ricebox and go with exciter class AM like a Ranger, or mod a T4x and use a amp to sound pretty darned good.

Personally, it's been years since I've worried about "fitting in", that's probably why I still have what my son calls, the "Radio Moscow" antenna in the back yard.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015