The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MAKE AND MODEL OF THIS RECEIVER?  (Read 14091 times)
n2len

« on: September 01, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

I just picked up this receiver at a local tag sale...

Can anyone identify it?

It appears like a Hallicrafters, slightly resembles a R274...Has no power transformer which suggests its for Radio Marine Service. Appears to me made in the early to mid-50's. has oil filled filter caps, 4 gang tuning cap, has crystal calibrator, has typical hallicrafters knobs and if transformers, and a built-in front firing speaker. Looking at the speaker, it may of be housed in a water tight enclosure, but it should need more front panel screws?

* 100_2518.JPG (2227.11 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 966 times.)

* 100_2519.JPG (2063.6 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 729 times.)
n2len

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »

more pics...

* 100_2520.JPG (2359.09 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 592 times.)

* 100_2521.JPG (2340.24 KB, 3000x4000 - viewed 677 times.)
n2len

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »

Maybe Coast Guard?   2182 khz is the international call and distress frequency
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

It's an R-649/URR. Has 15 tubes. Covers 200 KHz to 18 MHz. Built for the Treasury Department and used as monitors by the Coast Guard. Weighs 84 pounds.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N2ZD
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »

Thats correct, I have one, so does Todd and another gentleman here. Circa 1953, very rare piece. Some were rack mounted, others had an enclosure. Mine has the enclosure. I use it all of the time. Runs on 100v ac or dc. There are probably less than 15 left in the world including that one. Mine is number 505 on the tags. I uploaded a rather large manual to BAMA and the Hallicrafters group, go grab a copy because its a clean and complete high def manual for the 649. You nailed a very rare radio, there are more 88's out there than there are these.
N2ZD
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »

Maybe Coast Guard?   2182 khz is the international call and distress frequency

Coast Guard service, the 2182 was added as an afterthought though and retrofitted. The guy I got mine from was a Heli pilot in the coast guard, he was tasked with dumping them in the Atlantic ocean which is why you would be hard pressed finding them around. The one I have happened to roll into a corner of the bird and he didn't realize it was there until it hitched a ride out of the base in his trunk. I'm 47 now and I have it since I am 14. One of my favorite radios for am listening. If you need any info, let me know.

Make sure the screw holding down the 2182 unit inside is clean and tight, otherwise it won't work. It has ballast tubes in it on the front right, they will light up, then go out or dim, that is normal. I run mine off of a variac, but I have used 110v to run it, just make sure you don't zap yourself messing around with it.
N2ZD
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:15:35 PM »

Looking at your pics, everything is there but the shield and the OA3, should be on the air by tonight by what I see... Grin
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

I see 3 caps, 2 are glass-metal and 1 bathtub that might me leaky by now. Similar ones in my R-274/SX-73 were.

So 3-4 on here have one; that makes the odds good that many more exist I would think.
I knew where there was one in MS but didnt want it.

Carl
n2len

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »

Thanks for the information Pete...

Rich,

I can't believe how rare it is... I enjoyed reading your reply, and history!
I knew it was rare, my good friend was over here looking at it earlier and he was stumped...
He has been collecting receivers for many many years and said to me...
"Well I don't have this one in my collection"
So I said to him, Let me take a few pictures of it and post it in the forum and hopefully a response would come our way.
I downloaded your very good scanned copy of the Tech manual...Thanks for providing it!

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »

I have one as well, got it from Todd.  I had one years ago and sold it at Dayton to a fellow from Japan.

It's interesting in that it's AC/DC and has push-pull 35L6 audio outputs.  Mine needs a cabinet painting and it's got a hum for some reason.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »

and it's got a hum for some reason.

Because it doesn't know the words. That's why I sent it your way.  Grin

So 3-4 on here have one; that makes the odds good that many more exist I would think.

Some, perhaps. Many? No way. A number of folks on here have KW-1s and other low production sets too, but there are still only a few. I only know of 8-10 R-649s in existence. But there are probably a few more to be found: if so, it will be very few. I had heard that they were pushed off a barge into the ocean until Rich brought the helicopter story. Hard to argue with someone who was there. A sad end for such an interesting, limited contract set.

Mine is a later A model, Johnny has the original 649 model. My A does not have the added Guard frequency switch. They are very well-made sets, on par with the SX-73 which is one of their best efforts. It actually looks quite similar. The AC/DC feature is interesting as is the P-P audio section Johnny mentions.  Same smooth, geared flywheel tuning as the SX-73 also.

They use a steel cabinet and panel, and copious amounts of cover shields. I see many of yours are missing, Len. Fortunately they are nothing fancy and you can get some cut and drilled to fit if you're a stickler for perfection. It'll work without them, of course. Someone drilled & blasted the rear apron to add a power connector at some point too. Terminal strips were used all around, even for power.

Thanks to Rich, we now have access to the manual. Now we just need to find a source of the 'toggle condom' rubber covers to replace all the torn and missing ones. The toilet seat covers are fairly common.

Here's a shot of mine with its RBK-16 companion. Still need three of the knurled & plated panel/rack mounting screws for mine.

* RBK16_R-649A.JPG (451.68 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 766 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »

Now we just need to find a source of the 'toggle condom' rubber covers to replace all the torn and missing ones.

Try here. 
I outfitted all the toggles on the boat with fresh stock.  The material is thick and extends to the friction side of the bolt to seal against the panel, self-gasketing.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/26-1987
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

T,

Love yer wallpaper.

klc

What? Me worry?
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »

I should have a non R274 SX-73 here in about 2 weeks, wonder how many of those were sold and still exist? The R274 version gets almost daily use since I still havent had the urge to fix the HQ-180 SMD yet.
Surprised the GSB-100 didnt sell, they sound great on SSB and AM; just dont push the transformer after recapping...a poor mans 100V and drift less than most HT-37's

I only know of 8-10 R-649s in existence. But there are probably a few more to be found

Does that mean every CG district returned them to a central place....or did each one do their own thing? The one I was looking at had done duty on a Gulf shrimper for some years.

Carl
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »

Thanks for the link, Paul. I'd prefer to find the original gray ones but barring that, the black ones would fit fine with the knobs and black toilet seat cover.

I should have a non R274 SX-73 here in about 2 weeks, wonder how many of those were sold and still exist?

There are a few out there, nowhere near as many as the mil versions though. 'JN and I saw a nice one in its original cabinet at a party on July 4th. Funny story involving Frostfest and a teenage girl standing guard when Johnny tried to buy it some years back. I think the girl is out of college now.

Does that mean every CG district returned them to a central place....or did each one do their own thing?

Who knows. With so few of them made, it probably didn't make much difference. They were probably ordered dumped/destroyed by district which resulted in a few being scarfed up by those in a position to do so and a few others that missed the boat for whatever reason. I've never sought out rare radios, only good/interesting radios to use and enjoy. If they happen to be rare or considered collectible to some small sliver of society, I don't hold it against the radio. The R-649 is definitely a cool, well-made set that is fun to use - 50 or 50,000 of them.

T,

Love yer wallpaper.

klc

Do not let their cuddly appearance fool you, they are trained, vicious killers. That is limited edition wallpaper commemorating their deeds as seen in The Holy Grail, Twilight Zone The Movie, and others. Unfortunately the radios are to be moved out, the wallpaper stripped, and the room re-purposed by month's end. It's been fun.

w6ozi
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 01:09:17 PM »

I have one,

Nice recever.

W6OZI
Bobby Hallicrafters,
KD0HUX

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

SORRY 4 STRAYING A LITTLE OF TOPIC  Embarrassed WHY DID THE GOVERMENT DUMP THEM??
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »

So they wouldn't have to dig a hole!   Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:05 PM »

Got a good look at the tag on my R-649A today, it's number 42. I seem to recall one more A model out there somewhere too.

W1EKG

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »

Hi all, I hope it's OK to reopen  this thread...  I recently acquired an R-649/UR serial# 635. It was given to me by a friend  that recently got his ham license and didn't want it. Unfortunately, it was stored out in a shed and mice got into it. I found bunches of pee& poop and 3 skeletal remains, not to mention quite a stench.I started today with windex, hot water and brushes with a hot air dryer to clean this rig out. So far so good. The only other flaws are the bandswitch knob is broken and it's missing 2 of the knurled case screws.  I noticed that Chuck Dachis is looking for one, that is a good indication of it's rarity. I'll try to figure out how to add pictures and I'll keep posting progress here for all of your viewing pleasure!! 73 Ross W1EKG

* 2014_0712pixnew0005.JPG (1283.13 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 536 times.)

* 2014_0712pixnew0002.JPG (1268.85 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 483 times.)

* 2014_0712pixnew0011.JPG (1260.2 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 476 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »

Hey Ross - nice snag, meese corpses and all. Seems one of these rigs surfaces every 2-3 years now, very few to start with apparently and fewer still remaining. I think Chuck is looking for the A model, I actually beat him to the one I have which is the A.

Aside from the mess, yours looks pretty complete. First one I've seen with the tools and only the second with the rack ears still attached to the cabinet. I need 3 of the knurled nuts too if you come across a carcass or other source. Bandswitch knob is the same one used on the HT-37 and other Halli rigs. Somewhere in the myriad of saved email I have a list or otherwise an accounting of how many sets are known to exist. I'm thinking yours makes 13 or 14. Probably a few more waiting to be saved from a dusty corner or damp garage/basement.

It's a radio that's a lot of fun to use. Tuning is excellent thanks to the geared tuning system and the push-pull(!) audio is great. Power cord attaches via a rear terminal strip which seems odd but I'm guessing CG had these wired in place vs. using wall plugs.

Curious to know what, if anything, is on the bottom of your cabinet for support. Mine has rails but I added some shock mount feet as well. Rich who was in this post years back posted a link for a scanned manual which is a huge help.

BTW, the engraved/stamped panel is easy to repaint of course. The trick is preserving the rear component designations if you strip the front.

Have fun with it and keep us posted as to your progress in bringing it back from Mouseville.

W1EKG

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »

Here are some more photos of the 649 project. This is NOT a comprehensive or complete restoration. I don't have time  for that right now. I hope to get back to it later this year(maybe after Christmas?) One of the next phases is to get some proper color spray paint made up for the front panel and case. (unless any of you know of a source for this color...) I have ordered the switch condoms and will install them soon. I "repaired" the bandswitch knob with some plexiglass , epoxy and paint. I don't have any chrome paint, so black will have to do for now.  The radio plays well  with all of the tubes that were in it. The dial calibration is off and I'm sure the sensitivity could be better, although it's decent. That will come later as well. I have cleaned the knobs, front panel and of course the entire chassis following the  mouse hotel/poop removal.  I'm surprised that it is as good as it is considering the amount of mouse crap that was inside the radio. I am very happy to be involved with the preservation of such a rare radio.  Enjoy the pictures!! 73 Ross W1EKG

* 2014_0729pixnew0002.JPG (1323.9 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 411 times.)

* 2014_0729pixnew0004.JPG (1260.42 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 506 times.)

* 2014_0729pixnew0006.JPG (1272.15 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 437 times.)
n2zwx

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »

hello
im new to this forum.
i appologise, im not very computer savy and would have started a new topic but for the life of me i couldnt find a (new topic) button.

anyway ive got an r-649 that im putting back together: but its missing the speaker.
im hoping someone might have one, ive been keeping my eye on ebay with no luck.

from the manual, the disc. is as follows:
permanant magnet
6 ohm voice coil
2 watts normal
4" cone
frame 4.125" square
mounting holes 4.686" on center

thanks very much
dave n2zwx
cjs part number #P4X-S6818
chl part number #85C178
KA2DZT

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.  The new topic button is at top of the board at the right,  just above where you see the dates of the last posts for each thread.

Looks like you need a 4" speaker, 6 ohms.  6 ohm speakers are not as common as 4 or 8 ohm spks.  Someone should have something that will work.

Fred
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »

I'm afraid I can't give specifics or a photo of the actual speaker as mine went into storage just after Christmas. Won't have good access to it until next spring/summer.

If I recall correctly, it's a small Jensen speaker with a large magnet on the back. Maybe one of the others here can get you a decent photo from the rear to show some detail. I think the magnet was nearly as big as the speaker.

* Storage1.JPG (520.53 KB, 950x632 - viewed 408 times.)

* Storage5.JPG (261.17 KB, 632x950 - viewed 366 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015