The AM Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:32:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay Insane Fees  (Read 839 times)
n8fvj

« on: March 14, 2024, 05:52:57 AM »

A few years back ebay selling fees were 8%. Now, 21%. Insane.
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 11:05:01 AM »

I always try selling on line and on list servers first. Then at Ham Fest although they are getting to be further and further between and as a lost resort do the eBay thing. Everyone sells as “Buy it now” these days and you have to be mindful of adding additional amounts to cover the huge bite they take out of your money, then dealing with shipping has now days become stupid expensive. Also, some of the buyers on the bay can be a huge pain. But, at the end of the day sometimes it’s the only wheel in town and it is a big wheel.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 02:03:53 PM »

I’m done selling on EBAY.First they wanted social security number, now ridiculous fees. Thanks,but no thanks
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 04:39:50 PM »

Yep. Sad but they've put the sellers' noses to the grindstone until the sparks fly, placing on their backs ebay's own risk/load. The seller is always wrong. The buyer is always right. Buyer fraud is out of control, because to ebay it's the buyers who bring in the sales, and so to avoid discouraging any buyers at all, the seller is unethically forced to absorb the cost of buyer fraud and failures.

When ebay fumbles up due to abominable customer service and incompetence, and 'accidentally' steal from your bank account or allow a hacker to obtain your private and company information, they make the member account responsible for everything; ebay terms allow them to flee their just punishment and recompense, like a cockroach caught in the light, or like a big nasty rat which flashes across a kitchen counter into hiding upon hearing a human footstep.

It's no different than many other businesses. It's all about the mechanism, the process, discussed in executive board rooms and legal departments, that allows them to operate a rapine system with neither consequences nor a thought for the accommodation of rational human behavior and expectations.

Ebay terms are no different than many other corporate terms, but their idiot-grade execution leaves fewer and fewer beans on the table and substites seller risk instead. They do it because they can.

Or is that unfair?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 06:51:04 PM »

Or is that unfair?

Depends on who you ask.
Ebay isn't the only game in town for selling or buying things.

I haven't bought or sold stuff on Ebay in over 10+ years and I'm not hurting for stuff.

I buy and sell at the local hamfests and swap meets; it helps the local economy; and I get to touch, feel, and see in real time what I'm buying.

Living in a metro area, generally from April through September, there are hamfests and swap meets at least one per weekend within a 100 miles or less.
Obviously, living in the middle of no where land, there probably Cheesy would be less.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA2PTE
KA2PTE

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 10:40:00 PM »

China sellers probably have no fees and they get nearly free shipping on the sales.

==================
EF Johnson RF Tube Linears
==================
https://groups.io/g/johnson-tube-linears
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 03:35:50 AM »

China sellers probably have no fees and they get nearly free shipping on the sales.

WHY??

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1ITT

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 08:00:47 AM »

I can't speak to why China may or may not have to pay Ebay fees, but the cheap shipping is a deliberate ploy to manipulate international postal treaties.
Years ago, the various nations in the International Postal Union (the folks who used to sell the IRCs we used to get QSLs back) agreed that "If you guys carry our international mail fr the last mile, we will do the same for you." It saved us from having to buy two stamps, one for the originating country and the other for the destination.  Packages get the same treatment.  China cleverly realized that they could subsidize their own industries by charging little or nothing for mailing on their side and making other countries do the heavy lifting for them.  As a result, they have pretty much succeeded in killing off many of our manufacturers.    That, and the fact they they use a lot of low paid and slave labor seals the deal.  I read somewhere that we don;t make nuts and bolts in the USA any more.  If China wanted to embargo small hardware we/d be toast.  Sadly Ebay is facilitating their scheme.  
73 de Norm W1ITT
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 12:52:14 PM »

I’m also done with them.  I joined eBay in 1999. In those 25 years and some 850 transactions I never had one negative review. A while back I wanted to clear out some clutter from my radio room closet and listed 12 old manuals, knowing their commissions were now crazy expensive.

My post clearly stated no returns in two places. One guy bought a Heathkit manual, contacted me and said that he had made a mistake and ordered the wrong manual. He didn’t ask to return it, but I offered to take it back. He declined. Next thing he did was to post a negative review stating he had ordered the wrong item.

So I tried to contact eBay to get it removed. The system they have now is arcane and circuitous. I spent half a day down the rabbit hole trying to submit a request for review. The eventual response was that there has been a system error and it was not reviewed. So I repeated the journey down the rabbit hole. This time the response was that I had already submitted a request and it would accept no more requests on the post. Dead end. You cannot call them anymore. Their phone number listed is another rabbit hole. A phone tree of recorded messages that eventually tell you to do it online. Yeah, I’m done with eBay.

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
KA3EKH

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 02:45:24 PM »

Once again, it’s the only wheel in town. You got to spin it. I just ordered fifty 0.1 400 volt polystyrene’s for $20 Where else are you going to do that today? All the TV Parts dealers of years ago are long gone. Ham radio Stores are just about useless unless you want to buy modern junk so there you go.
Have a friend that is a big eBay seller and they get special rates on sales and shipping, somehow what eBay shows you for shipping and what they pay are different? But what else is there?
Man, I live about a two hour trip from Baltimore and Washington and maybe in your neighborhood they are having a lot of good local Ham fest but around hear pickings are slim. Frostfest going under was a big hit for me.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 04:11:31 PM »

I had about 35 or 40 listings for various small unobtainum electronic parts that I had no need for.  When those fees went up, I deleted each and every listing.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
n8fvj

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 04:20:03 PM »

Once again, it’s the only wheel in town. You got to spin it. I just ordered fifty 0.1 400 volt polystyrene’s for $20 Where else are you going to do that today?
I posted selling issue, not buying.
n8fvj

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:23:57 AM »

eBay has new trick to benefit buyers and rip off seller. If you have more than one item eBay removed shipping cost for extra items. So if buyer purchases more than one they get all for shipping cost for one item. This can cost a lot to seller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015