The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating advice for Engineers  (Read 4283 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: July 15, 2012, 08:18:28 AM »

For all you single engineers out there that are dating, here are some tips! 

Found this very funny piece in EDN. 

http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/serious-fun/4376761/Dating-advice-for-engineers?cid=EDNToday

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w1zzz

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »

As the founder of the Lonely Guys, I approve this message. I would add one thing: Do not bring anything electronic to a date. Instead carry a book written by the late Nora Ephron.
Peter
w1zzz
Lonely Guy #1
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »

Some very good advise. They did leave out the "bathing and tooth brush " thing. If I remember correctly, these two things are also important women.

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »

The thing was for fun I understand but here are a few criticisms of the things mentioned and things not mentioned. I have no more experience than anyone else and at 51 not being married, some say I am just unlucky, and some say I am very lucky. The video's author should make a series of videos on general dating tips for nerds.

The video's author goes on about "thinking of what a mean person did to you".. well that is wrong, as mean people have no right to be in the presence of a lady, but mean people are useful for other things, read on!

As for his warning against socks+sandals, I agree there! I don't understand why males ever choose that combination of gear. The look is dorky and for sure invites covert mockery based on social references.

OK:
sandals - because of the summer heat, or the beach, for wet, or maybe comfort where minimal protection is required

socks - generally an insulating material or used as wick/cushion for hard shoes or as work attire with shoes for males. Females sometimes go without them but they often wear crazy shoes and the male's only function there is to appreciate their appearance in what they have chosen to wear, or face the consequences.

socks+sandals - fashion choice in most state and county jails and everywhere else shoelaces are prohibited. Also commonly seen in the streets, buses, and supermarkets down in the 'hood.
That isn't true of nerds but the adoption of the same fashion statement by a nerd is a small percentage and must have other motivations besides a shiftless or jailhouse appearance. geez at least wear sneakers for a date.

For first impressions YLs like a man who seems to be ready to rise to occasions and seems accustomed to responsibility. Keep thinking of that 1965 "Mystery Date" board game for girls, where they would spin the dial and open a symbolic front door: "Will he be a dream or a dud?" first impressions.

The in-car electronics -he's not exactly right on that. It's the outside of the car they worry about first.

As long as interior equipment looks expensive, professionally made, tastefully installed, does not intrude on her legroom, has no sharp edges on her side (regardless of the dried blood and ragged edges on your side), and most of all it is not in use, not being fiddled with... supposed to pay attention to the date not the crate.
The rigs with detachable panels are a blessing because the panel looks good and the big box is out of sight. The point is to make it melt into the vehicle interior like it is the most normal thing in the world. Homebrew tube gear is its own challenge.

There is no good solution for the guy with the antenna farm on his car but he probably gave up women a long time ago, once the passenger seat was filled with 8 transceivers and scanners bolted together..
Vast automotive antenna farms embarrass women greatly because it makes a freak show of the outside appearance of the vehicle that everyone will see her in. No one likes to ride in a clown car. What is cool is a used police car with a couple of small antennas on the trunk, but only because they look correct on it. A couple of them, not 15 like a whacker.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whacker

Display of "conversation symbols" in the vehicle also helps. Why do bachelors put respectable general interest magazines on the coffee table? same thing.
Conversation symbols can be anything. It's a known fact most YLs like pets in general. I have two fridge magnets like the 2nd. pic. The other one is on the dash of my vehicle. It almost always has started a useful conversation..

That is free conversation material that the poor engineer does not even have to think up during such confusing moments. Just when I am  about to bring up how I replaced the tantalum capacitors on the filter board in my Sunair GSB900, she spots it and says, "Do you like cats?".  - you pick a symbol of your own liking, but be sure YLs like the topic and it is a normal non-engineering topic. Even if in the example she says she is allergic or prefers dogs or fish, it's free talk!

Pets - while on that subject YLs like men who are kind. If you have a handicapped or elderly pet that is well kept, they always see that. Grandma had to move to a nursing home and I took pity on a little one eyed female cat that was living in her garage and it has now been with me for 3 weeks. I genuinely am attached to the little beastie and I'm keeping it. Once she saw it, there as no doubt in a recent female acquaintance's mind that I am the nicest guy in the world to have taken in such a poor animal. The point is that I don't have to try to prove that I am a good guy now. Women love to talk about nice things and I am sure the story has already spread to her friends. OK cat haters don't vomit.. it can be any animal so long as you are demonstrably kind to it.

yeah bathing and toothbrush. always. cleanliness is next to godliness. a bottle of listerine and small can of deodorant hidden in the vehicle console for emergencies.. anything..

Speaking of godliness, some YLs like to go to church. Is that a date?

Books - The recentness of her passing might enhance the effect of the book, not to be coarse about it, may she RIP, among the best subjects of her work are romantic flicks -that's another thing. The video author mentioned movies as a conversation killer (I prefer conversation substitute) but when forcing yourself to sit though a chick flick you better pay attention because there will be conversation about it afterward and it will be all about feelings. The alternative of a war movie or sci-fi is not a good choice no matter how many things get blown up. I ask the YL what she wants to see, and frequently suffer the 2 hours of consequences but it is OK if it makes her happy.

Speaking of which, the video author mentioned topics like salaries, insurance, and 401K's. If after a few dates money and being the center of attention is all she seems interested in (and she's not a CPA and actress) then take another piece of his advice already mentioned - "think of what a mean person did to you.." and modify it. Discreetly introduce her to that person. They deserve each other.  8-P

disclaimer: this comment is worth what was paid for it and carries a money back guarantee!

* mysterydate.jpg (31.71 KB, 432x460 - viewed 371 times.)

* 100_0037sd.jpg (27.25 KB, 398x416 - viewed 363 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

Good stuff.
There are many good pointers in "Dilbert" too, on this dangerous, hillarious subject.

I used to introduce the stack of audio and ham gear in the center of my dorm room as my "Christmas tree.". Girls were fascinated...   Most of them for about 20 mS.    Grin
I made sure it was all on and lit up for maximum effect.

If they stayed....  ? If they didn't ..? .  Then the logic tree at least had a start.   At least you (or your equipment) knew where you (or it) stood for the first step.

RICK  *W3RSW*
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:18:41 AM »

In the immortal words of the J. Giles band:

"First, I look at the purse............
I don't care if her eyes aren't a match.
All I want is her pretty green cash.
I want me a suit, I want me a car,
I want me to look like a hollywood star.
I want MONEYYYYYYYY! ! ! ! ! !
M-O-N-E-Y......babe.............." 

Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »

F,

J.S. has some advice.

If you wanna be happy
For the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you.

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall.
As soon as he marries her
Then she starts to do
The things that will break his heart.
But if you make an ugly woman your wife,
You'll be happy for the rest of your life,
An ugly woman cooks her meals on time,
She'll always give you peace of mind.

Don't let your friends say
You have no taste,
Go ahead and marry anyway,
Though her face is ugly,
Her eyes don't match,
Take it from me she's a better catch.

Say man.
Hey baby.
Saw your wife the other day.
Yeah?
Yeah, she's ugly.
Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook.
Yeah?. Okay

klc

* OM goes on a date.jpg (117.38 KB, 750x992 - viewed 354 times.)

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015