The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HPSDR HERMES  (Read 25868 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »

The learning, from both an academic and practical standpoint of SDR is 9/10 the fun.  To be able to instantly see propagation on all the bands, all the signals ( that one's lousy antenna captures Grin) and be able to discern the transmission mode of each, the signal strength of each, replies of each visually, and almost instantly choosing a signal using  our evolution honed "hunter mode" is almost priceless.  You need a waterfall mode coupled with spectral simultaneously to see it all.

Steve is the one who got me interested by referring me to quadrature, etc, literature.
Gary's ( iNR) soft rock fun and description of vastly improving front ends with same really got me going. 

I still use boat anchor and single signal gear but there is no substitute for seeing the whole jungle at a glance,  seeing even the limits of your antennae, propagation conditions, interference, just about everything over multiple bands.

We are multiple sensed animals.  Once you see it, there's no going back.
In my shack for receiving, the QS1r is pretty much plug and play.  After adding the small xmitter board it 's really been fun.  Computer horsepower?  I'm using an AS Rock Atom 330, 1.6 gigs, minimal config. since the FPGA and very good programming does all the work.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »

HPSDR is talking of making some software to turn Hermes into a VNA. Heck a return loss bridge would turn it into a cool impedance analyzer. I see this as a powerful tool in addition to being a XCVR.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

Right Francois.  ..and over here, Phil's (n8vb) little xmit board is just right (quasi-calibrated) to feed right back into the input of the receiver with homebrew filters inbetween to optimize, or whatever your little heart desires.

A good, not really too nerdy or wirey SDR lashup is practical for stuff in addition to qso's.

http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/

RICK  *W3RSW*
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

so, nobody wants to just give a core dump on the things I asked about?

I have some SDR experience, and softrocks and a stand alone little softrock type receiver box... what I am interested in quite frankly is *remote* operation. That requires SDR stuff more or less, since a computer is the interface no matter what. There is no other inexpensive option that will provide transceive capability other than this type of box. So it is either going to be a commercial offering or something like this.

I already have antennas... you guyz can hear me, right? I sure as heck can hear very well from this QTH, which is one of its best features.

whaddya say?

_-_-bear

PS. in this price range I think there is either an SDR1000 or this, anything else??

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »

read the web site. BTW TX does not like a short circuit load I'm told.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

Bear,

You can do remote operation with a softrock transceiver.

PowerSDR has that capability built in in "every" version?
So any transceiver that operates with powersdr software should do.

Actually, with things like remote desktop etc...
ANY rig controlled by the 'puter can be operated remotely.
Since you can access all software on the 'puter remotely.

There are a lot of kits out there.. Some pretty easy assembly, some will take a few hours.
All depends on the bands and power uotput you need.
Most are QRP... but thats what leenyars is for...

Genesis SDR

Softrock
WB6DHW
PMSDR
HPSDR

Then not kits: ( not inexspensive )
HDSDR
LAzy Dog enginering

etc...

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »

Here's the fun.
-oh, yeah,  there's audio too, "Rush" at the moment.

Look how high the noise floor is on the MW broadcash band.

Also half the hams these days already have computers running "qrz.com" if nothing else just to look up the other guys qth, then "google earth"tm. to see it.  Grin

HF isn't so hot a/c daytime and solar storm today. 

BTW the QS1R is very open source, Bear. If you mean the code and algorithyms for, say I & Q decoding into AM or software filter coding, etc. then you've got some heavy reading to do.  Dig into the QS1R wiki, and you'll find a lot of open source code.  -And you have to be somewhat sure of what your asking.  Grin   I'm just beginning to learn this stuff, but Frank and others may help you better.

* wideband and local AM 3.PNG (553.64 KB, 1266x820 - viewed 467 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »

remote op. with two transceivers w/o desk or laptop computer?
check the K3 site,

two K3's.
one box with guts, the remote commander without as many guts.

http://www.elecraft.com/K3-Remote/k3_remote.htm

Tons of ways to operate a single K3 if you do use a remote computer.
Same for QS1R and all the other SDR's as others have mentioned.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »

E mail received this morning from TAPR ... of interest to those that are considering ordering.

Jay

Some of you will get this message twice. My apology if you have
already received it. This will be the last notice that I will send.
Note that the closing date for orders has been extended by two days
to Friday the 27th due to the lateness of this  notice

Thank you for your support.

TAPR Hermes order page open for only a few more days!

You are receiving this message because you have showed an interest in
the openHPSDR project by signing up on the interest list.

The TAPR order page is now open and accepting orders for Hermes at
the following prices.

TAPR member:    $895
TAPR non-member:        $940

Hermes is completely assembled and tested.

The order page will close Friday July 27th.

Please note that TAPR will be building only one production run of
Hermes boards, and will only build the number necessary to fulfill
the orders received on or before the July 25th cutoff date.

Estimated delivery is October 15, and earlier if possible. Be a part
of history and support HPSDR!

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »

This would get me nervous. From their ordering page:
"Hermes Warranty

Hermes IS SOLD ON AN AS-IS BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND."

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »

In reality Pete there has been no problems. I had a defective relay on one of my RX boards and TAPR quickly provided a replacement part. There are a number of guys out there who will do repairs. You can't beat the quality of these modules. The Hermes module is every bit as well made as stuff we put in airplanes. We might add a little epoxy here and there for high vibration.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »

Bear,

An SDR is not required for remote operation. Any transceiver made in the last 10 maybe even 15-20 years can be set up for remote control. Hey, KC9VF had a T-368 set up for remote operation more than 10 years ago!

There is an article in this month's QST on remote operation and tons of info on the Web. Also, talk to Bill/W1MPY. He's had extensive experience with remote operation.

A possible low cost option here.

http://lazydogengineering.com/

BTW, dipoles don't qualify as serious receiving antennas.  Smiley
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 09:55:35 AM »

In reality Pete there has been no problems. I had a defective relay on one of my RX boards and TAPR quickly provided a replacement part. There are a number of guys out there who will do repairs. You can't beat the quality of these modules. The Hermes module is every bit as well made as stuff we put in airplanes. We might add a little epoxy here and there for high vibration.

Sounds like used car salesman speak. If there really has been no problems with past designs, providing a 90 day or a 1 year warranty should be a no-brainer. At least it would provide the customer with some assurance of hardware support in case of a hardware failure. Without it, it just keeps the project and the organization in the "mickey mouse" arena. And, at $900 a pop, we're not talking about small change.

KF1Z

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »

If you're that worried about it, wait until July 26th and order it with a one year warrantee from Apache Labs.
Go one step further, and order it in an enclosure with a 10 watt amplifier built in.

Why do people continually try to slam a product they would never have any interest in buying anyway ?
And the same people complain about the "mine is better than yours" conversations.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

Bear,
also this one for control of a bunch of current and not so current transceivers, etc.
http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

I'm using it in conjunction with QsCat for connection to my lash-up (sorry Pete  Grin )

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1GFZ

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »

HPSDR has provided free engineering for the copiers to build commercial over priced toys for appliance operators.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »

If you're that worried about it, wait until July 26th and order it with a one year warrantee from Apache Labs.
Go one step further, and order it in an enclosure with a 10 watt amplifier built in.

From their web site:
"**One year Limited Manufacturer's warranty Included"

Whatever that means. Does it even include the TAPR Hermes DDC/DUC SDR assembled and tested) board? And, if you have a hardware problem under warranty,  do you ship it back to India or locally. From the Apache-Labs response FAQ: "The first production run of Hermes will be done by TAPR, Apache Labs will be the only manufacturer of Hermes and the ANAN-10 transceiver subsequently."

I also noticed on the Apache-Labs web site (unless I missed it) was that there was no mention of obtaining FCC approval for use in the U. S. for the complete transceiver or even CE or UL certification. I wonder if they're going to submit it for approval.

Why do people continually try to slam a product they would never have any interest in buying anyway ?
And the same people complain about the "mine is better than yours" conversations.

Who's slamming the product? Any sensible prospective buyer should have the concern of "no warranty" or "limited warranty" or any warranty statement. No warranty is clear; limited warranty is undefined". Would you buy a car or a refrigerator with no warranty just because the salesman said, "ah, we never have problems with these things"?

KF1Z

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »

Who's slamming the product? Any sensible prospective buyer should have the concern of "no warranty" or "limited warranty" or any warranty statement. No warranty is clear; limited warranty is undefined". Would you buy a car or a refrigerator with no warranty just because the salesman said, "ah, we never have problems with these things"?

Pete,
Bringing up only problems ( and discussing NO good points) you see with a product is, as far as I am concerned,  "slamming".
( especially since we all know you have no interest in purchasing this particular product)

Why do you believe YOU are the only "sensible prospective buyer " here?
Do you think the rest of the people here are not sensible enough to make these decisions on their own?
Seems to me you only posted in the hope of raising an argument.
( with the one person here you seem to like to argue with the most) :-)

Yup, don't worry, I'm done and will say no more about it.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »

Bringing up only problems is not slamming. If they are legitimate points, then it's fair game.

The reality is that no product is perfect and everything we do and buy in this hobby involves various tradeoffs. Greater knowledge of both pros and cons allows one to better manage or analyze the tradeoffs. The fanboy approach of claiming HPSDR has lead the way in SDR and all others are copy-cats is not only false, it's just not helpful.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

I think HPSDR has lead the way in the ham radio world, not in mil world though.
When I joined HPSDR I thought their ideas were crazy. I never thought they could  get to the present performance level with Mercury and Penny. The level of international talent behind HPSDR is quite impressive.
The world is not flat
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Leading ham radio means you are 20 years behind the times. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is. The reality is that most of the functionality provided by good SDR concepts are not needed or legally utilized by amateur radio. Narrowband simplex comms can just as easily and effectively be accomplished without SDR.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »

Steve - K4HX
 "Guest"

Is this like when the Arabs beat themselves with whips for penance?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »

BTW, in case anyone's interested....

This is an HPSDR project buried in the archives that shows the trials and tribulations of putting together an older Mercury and Brutus.  It actually worked FB in the end. (amazing)

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=26512.0

It doesn't have to be this hard, especially with the new Herpes transceiver board all in one    (And as you build it, be sure to sing, "If I only had a brain.")

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »

It doesn't have to be this hard, especially with the new Herpes transceiver board all in one  

Ewwwww!!!!

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »

KF1Z,

Pretty sure I sent you a PM last week?
Do you check ur PMs?
No email link on ur posts... mine have, so you could email me.

Had a question about the Genesis board - you wrote something on it??

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015