The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:21:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: deaf ft-101e  (Read 14904 times)
ki4ndb

« on: July 09, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

good day all,I have a ft-101e that has no recieve at all. I checked the lamp light on the rear panel bulb checked  good.need a few suggestions on what else i can  check.
KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »

Can you hear the calibrator signal when switched in? Does it transmit?

Lots of things could go wrong with the 101. Short of hoping you have a (or some) dirty edge card connections; it's time to get out the signal genny and do some troubleshooting. Pull the boards and gently clean the connections with a standard pencil eraser. One they're clean, use a little contact cleaner in the chassis connector and work the board in and out a couple times. Do all the boards.

I think the RF board, which is the smallest plug-in board in the rig located near the front right, is a known problem spot.

73, Phil
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »

Seems like the whole 101 series is notorious for problems, and I think part of that problem is that they seemed to be a favorite rig of CBers, who usually beat the things to death, trying to run maximum carrier out of them AND heavy modulation at the same time. It would destroy the finals. I have a pair of them (one's an FT-101 and the other one's an FT-101EX) and neither of them transmit. I also have a non-functioning FT-901DM, which is basically a newer version of the 101 with real transmitting tubes (pair of 6146B's) for the final amp. Try the bandswitch, too. On my 101, I had a similar issue once that I traced back to a dirty bandswitch. Also, if I remember, somewhere in the receive antenna path, there is a really small bulb they used as a fuse, it could be burned out (that may be the bulb you are talking about).

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
ki4ndb

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »

thanks for all the info. when i get home today i'm going to start on it again,hopefully i will get it  up & going thanks for the help.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:24:31 AM »

Pull out and clean RL1.
Same with the antenna changeover relay in the RF cage.

RL1 is the switching heart of the radio.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »

First of all, like Buddly said, carefully clean ALL of the relay contacts in all of the relays!

Next, pull out ALL of the boards from the main frame and clean the card edge connectors , make em shiney clean!

Are you adjusting the driver / preselector knob as you are changing bands? This has a very big effect on receiver sensitivity.

Next, does it transmit? ?  Does it get enough drive to the finals to pull down any plate current?? If not, go over all of the trim caps in the driver section, as some of them are also used in the pre selector for the receive. If it was once used as a chicken band radio, there is a real good chance all of them may be way off.

I have a 101EX and a 901D, both have had similar problems with crappy card edge connectors and oxidized switch contacts.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KC4VWU

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »

Doggone, glad you thought about that, Buddly! I forgot! Aren't those two relays the same... possibly swap them around? Or maybe I'm thinking of the FT-401B. Also, don't forget those rigs are chock full of near 40 year old electrolytic caps. 
kb3ouk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

Yea, like I said earlier, the chicken banders really abused those 101 series radios, probably the reason why most of them are in a serious need of repair by the time you get your hands on one. One of mine must've also been owned by a smoker previously, with all the cigarette smoke gunk that was on it and inside. I'm still working on that project, because I'd like to get at least one of my 101's running again to use as a driver for a big linear that I might build some day.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »

Buddly! I forgot! Aren't those two relays the same...

No, they are not the same. RL1 is a 6P2T relay that is made of unattainium. I did find one on ebay and cleaned it up ready for backup use. Expect to pay beyond $35 for a used one. If the radio does transmit on the proper frequency chances are good it is RL1 giving you the problem. Best method I found to cleaning them is with strips of print paper soaked with contact cleaner or 90% alcheehall. Be bery bery careful not to bend the contact arms on this relay. It's a pain to get them aligned again. Doable, but painful!

Good luck....... may the force be w/ u!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »

Is the jumper plug installed in the back?

If the relays do not fix the receive,  You may have one or more fets blown out in the front end.  These blow out for several reasons.  One is lightnight or static on the antenna, The second reason is if the PA is not neutralized, the tubes can go into oscilation.  When that happens, the Front end is overloaded and the fets blow. 

They are cheap and easy to get.  There are upgraded Fets you can isntall (they just plug in, no solder) for inscreased signal to noise ratio. 

http://foxtango.org/ft101/foxtangoft101module.htm

kb3ouk

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »

That jumper is for the tube filaments, which if they aren't on, then the tubes shouldn't oscillate. Which might be a good test, if it hasn't blown the FETs, pull that plug and see what happens. But, that won't work if a previous owner did to that one like what they did to mine, my 101 must have a jumper soldered in internally, because it works without the plug.

KC4VWU

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »

Hey Buddly, you mean you don't cut a sliver off the end of a dollar bill to do the job (a-hem!)?  I guess that's probably a bad idea.

I believe I WAS thinking about the 401B on the relays. One is on the main board up top, and one is chassis mounted socket underneath. They're basically like a 101, being it's predecessor.

You're right on the comment of abuse, Shelby. Most of the CB guys will tell you, "Thars a bilt-in leenyar in that thar radio!" They expect 100w of carrier out of it. I bought 3 at one time several years back, and none of them had a 10m crystal installed... all from different sellers and different avenues of procurement.

---Phil

ki4ndb

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »

thanks for all the help i'm getting ready to start on it in a little bit.(no one hear but me no noise).i'll check the rf board first. i've  owned four or five of the 101 series only problems i have ever had is replacing a light or putting in new finals other than that, thats about all i ever had to do to one, but always willing to learn something new.it will be slow going but i'll get it may have to ask a few more questions but thats life
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »

Good luck and let us know. I have been through a bunch of them and have one here in front of me. 

C
KC4VWU

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »

If you can at least hear something of the calibrator signal, you're in fine shape.

---Phil
ki4ndb

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

i have two questions can anyone tell me where i can find an 3sk40  fet, & what would be a good contact cleaner.   Grin
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

Nte222. Or order some on ebay. The 3sk40 is old. Get a modern upgrade.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »

DeOxit is a great contact cleaner when used properly. If you're cleaning relay contacts, I'd suggest spraying a strip of thick paper and pulling it through a few times. Just don't spray DeOxit directly onto or into stuff as it can create more problems than it solves. Probably true of other cleaners too.

For cleaning other items like tube pins, just spray some into the cap, dip the pins, and insert into/remove from the socket a few times. As with above, less is more, or mo'bettah.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
aa5wg

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »

I have a FT-101FX that does dead on receive at times.

For this radio the problem turned out to be a dirty LSB/USB/Tune/CW/AM switch on the front panel.

Chuck
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »

Good point.  Even mine does that sometimes.  I rock the mode switch back and forth and she comes to life.

C
ki4ndb

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

well put  the new fet in the 101 still nothing coming from the receiver. at one point it had output but when i tried it this past weekend no output. tubes  wouldn't even cherry up when keyed.think i'm going to put this thing in a box & store it somewhere till i find a good home for it. i am not a tech.best part about the whole deal is the radio was free.thanks for all the info hopefully i'll run up on one that hadn't been screwed with such as this was.
ki4ndb

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »

had said i was gonna put this rig in a box but the more i look at it the more i want to get it up and going just hate to see it sit there.just have a couple more questions where do i find rl-1 & what is a good contact cleaner,had someone tell me to use wd-40 couldn't get a grip on that one. might work but it just didn't sound right.thanks for reading & any help i can get. Smiley Smiley
kb3ouk

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

WD-40 will probably make things worst. not better. The real purpose of WD-40 is a rust protector and works for loosening and lubricating metal, but I doubt it will be good on the contacts since it is an oily substance.

KC4VWU

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »

Yep, don't use anything that will leave residue. Bad news. If there isn't an electronics store close to you that sells a non-residual type contact cleaner, (for electronics, not electrical things like motors and such) then use the high content rubbing alcohol; I think it's 91% or something like that.

Phil
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »

Deoxit is good but u can get a bottle of techron and at autoparts store or wally world. Dip thin cardboard in techron and slid through contacts to clean them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015