The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:39:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie to AM  (Read 20324 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »

The 735 has a switch for Wide or Narrow AM operation. Also, as with many other Icoms, you can bypass a lot of the build in audio front end tailoring, which somewhat restricts transmit bandwidth, by applying your audio mixer output directly to pin 4 of ACC1 (ground connection is on Pin 2). See page 24 of the 735 manual. I haven't used the front panel mike connector on my IC-756 PRO II in years. Audio input has always been through ACC1.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W9PSK
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »

Yeah, I just found out about pin 4 on ACC1 while checking into the mixer board setup.  I made sure to let *** know that I was talking about using a mixing board like he did on one of his shows, and he came back with what he came back with.  Maybe it's one of those things that on paper shouldn't work well but in practice works very well?  Not trying to get any arguments started or anything.  I respect ***'s opinion and I respect the opinions of those using a mixer board too.   
W9PSK
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 02:14:21 PM »

Man, I've been listening today on 14.286 and 18.150 and haven't heard a thing.  When do folks meet on this frequency?  I need to get these schedules figured out.  Maybe it's just an issue with band conditions or something. 
ve6pg

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »

usually 14.286 in the evenings...aside from listening.....call cq!...7285/90/95, or anywhere else, ..
..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WS4B
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »

Man, I've been listening today on 14.286 and 18.150 and haven't heard a thing.  When do folks meet on this frequency?  I need to get these schedules figured out.  Maybe it's just an issue with band conditions or something.  

I am on 14.286 a few evenings a week around 00:00 GMT. If the slopbucket QRM gets too high while in QSO, I will QSY above 14.330 to get away from all the hash and trash.

We recently had a bad solar flare, so conditions are a little poor to say the least.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:57 PM »

Man, I've been listening today on 14.286 and 18.150 and haven't heard a thing.  When do folks meet on this frequency?  I need to get these schedules figured out.  Maybe it's just an issue with band conditions or something. 

Most get on when they get on. I've worked AM stations at all hours of the day/night. As Tim said, call CQ multiple times and hopefully you'll get a response. It's also not uncommon to sometimes get a response from a SSB station. Good antennas and some power are always a plus to be heard on 20 meters. Active sun brings lots of flares and band disruptions. Current flare disruption should probably peak late today into Saturday.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »

I made 3 EU AM contacts on 17M today before noon and then made a few more on 15. Used the WW2 Navy ATC (later called a ART-13)/NC-183D on 17 and the Viking II CDC/NC-300 on 15. Nothing on 10 but CB was jumping and I was tempted Grin

I believe the 735 transmits at one width but offers receive choices ?  My TS-950SD is like that unless a mod is made.

And the TS-590 offers those "secret" menus that Ive heard others talk about for wide AM TX and RX.

Carl
W9PSK
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

Call CQ?  Have y'uns gone mad?  I almost never call CQ.  I wouldn't know how to act if someone came back to me.  I'm so used to nets and joining existing conversations.  Calling CQ might revolutionize amateur radidio for me.  Can't take that kinda chance.  Nyope!  

Grin Tongue  Ok.  I will try calling CQ, but it will have to be later on today.  I need to get off this blasted computer and go make some money.  These bills don't get paid by themselves.  I wish I would have been born a rich fat guy, instead of a good looking one.  *sigh*  
WS4B
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »

I was told something via email that kind of surprised me.  I found a thread on another site that deals with the 735 and a mixer board.  I contacted a very well known supplier of ham radio microphones to get their opinion on how to set the 735 up this way.  Much to my surprise, the owner of said company told me that no matter what I do with it, the 735 has a very narrow transmit filter and adding a mixer board won't make a difference.  With the good reputation the 735 has among AMers, I was a bit surprised to read that.

MP3 of the IC-735 on AM via ACC-1 port on dummy load test at 10 watts. Using an Electovoice RE-20 with rack gear. RX is a FT-102 with 6 Kc AM filter.

* IC-735 AM Test.mp3 (2011.43 KB - downloaded 986 times.)
W9PSK
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »

Brad, thanks for the QSO and for the recording you made of me.  Man, those moments when conditions cleared up, that old 735 didn't sound all that bad.  I can't wait to try it with the new mic and also after I get a mixer board.  This should be fun!
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »

Welcome to AM.

As far as other ICOM's, my ICOM-706 MKIIG does quite well on AM.

Settings are as follows:

Compressor off
Mike gain just at the beginning of 4,
Power out is 15-20 Watts into the Henry 2K-4.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W9PSK
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

Hi,

Welcome to the AM mode! I have a TS-590S that is used primarily for the digital modes but I can say that it has a fine receiver for AM that's quite pleasant to listen to with its ability to be adjusted out to a bandwidth of 10kc. Unfortunately, on the transmit side I'm sorry to report it's not all that great for AM. The DSP is bandwidth stopped at 6kc for the AM mode (3+3) which limits your ability to develop much presence rise. It sounds fairly smooth and it does pass the low end quite impressively but it will sound very muffled if you overdo it. When viewed on the scope it appears to fall just short of 100% modulation but no one has indicated any problem hearing me when I've played around with it on AM.

An mp3 recording of the TS-590S transmitting AM is attached along with a look at the signal on a panadapter. That's what it sounds like with a cheap electret microphone plugged right into the front panel. Also attached is a screenshot of the software EQ setting being used in that recording. Note that with most of the profiles I have created for my TS-590S the EQ is pushed to punch up the presence rise area which seems to be sorely lacking in this rig. Just my opinion of course.

For roughly the same amount of money you might consider going with a Flex 3000 if you don't mind coupling it to your computer. They can be set to go out to 9kc (4.5+4.5) on transmit and you'll have the added bonus of synchronous detection on receive.

The link below (although primarily focused on the TS-590S software for creating SSB TX EQ profiles) might give you some insight into the limitations imposed by Kenwood on the TS-590S transmit audio:    

http://www.w1aex.com/ts590s/ts590s.html

Rob W1AEX

Rob, i don't know how I missed this post of yours, but thank you very much.  I went to the link you provided, watched all the videos and listened to the recordings of the $10 WonderMic (that's my name for it, patent pending Cheesy ).  FB, OM.  FB indeed.  I was a little disappointed with how the Kenwood sounds.  It's my dream radio.  I suppose I could still use it for the receive side of AM radio. 
W9PSK
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »

I actually made a 40m AM contact today.  Conditions were bad, so we didn't talk long, but Clark, KB1NFS, answered my call.  Good deal.  Now if band conditions would just clear up, I could maybe have a nice enjoybale ragchew.  I checked the propagation chart there on QRZ, and it says 17m conditions are good. Maybe I will tune on over there and at least give it a shot.  It also said 20m conditions would be good tonight, so I am definitely gonna try there later on. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015