The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:43:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage AM Station at Field Day  (Read 26169 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »

MP3 of the vintage station courtesy of Dave, W9AD (I was using my call before the FD event started).

Jack,

That the first time I heard a John Meck T-60-1 and the audio sounds pretty darn good.  Is that stock audio on the Meck?

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »

Thanks Joe.  Well, the only thing not stock in the audio are some coupling caps that were increased in value when I re-capped the rig.  Otherwise, it is stock.  A pair of 6L6s modulated by a pair of 6L6s.  The only other thing that I should mention is that I replaced the stock 6V6 oscillator tube with a 6AG7 with minor wiring changes.  The 6AG7 seems to work much better and it is a "no-holes" mod.  The most interesting thing about this rig (other than the front panel feed-thru antenna insulators) is the fact that it has completely separate power supplies for the modulator and RF sections with dual power transformers.  It seems to put out an amazing signal with plenty of plate-modulated audio.  It uses B&W plug-in coils.  Neat little rig for its day.  Seems to be pretty rare now.  I've only seen a few.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »

Jack,

Very good on the "gentle" audio mods you did.  I think its right on the mark.  It certainly was not scratchy and it was not loaded with a bunch of booming base.   Just a pleasing sound from a nice vintage piece.  The 6AG7 is a great xtal osc stage and very time proven.  That is also interesting that they use 2 completely separate supplies for the modulators and final.  I found the original Ad for the rig in a 40's QST.  It was a big ad and I am sure they paid a healthy sum to run an ad that size.  I will look for an online schematic and maybe try to duplicate it the best I can.  Your real lucky to have one since they seem not to be all that common.

Thinking historically about the company, they must have not stayed in the Amateur Radio business to long.  I will try and do some research and see what I can find out about them.  The closest thing period wise that I have to your rig is a WRL Globe Trotter.  Moving up to the early 50's I have a Lettine 240 and a Harvey Wells TBS-50.  Notice the model number similarity between the Meck and the Knight Kit T-60!  That is certainly where the similarity stops!         

Joe, W3GMS     

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »

Jack,

Very good on the "gentle" audio mods you did.  I think its right on the mark.  It certainly was not scratchy and it was not loaded with a bunch of booming base.   Just a pleasing sound from a nice vintage piece.  The 6AG7 is a great xtal osc stage and very time proven.  That is also interesting that they use 2 completely separate supplies for the modulators and final.  I found the original Ad for the rig in a 40's QST.  It was a big ad and I am sure they paid a healthy sum to run an ad that size.  I will look for an online schematic and maybe try to duplicate it the best I can.  Your real lucky to have one since they seem not to be all that common.

Thinking historically about the company, they must have not stayed in the Amateur Radio business to long.  I will try and do some research and see what I can find out about them.  The closest thing period wise that I have to your rig is a WRL Globe Trotter.  Moving up to the early 50's I have a Lettine 240 and a Harvey Wells TBS-50.  Notice the model number similarity between the Meck and the Knight Kit T-60!  That is certainly where the similarity stops!         

Joe, W3GMS     
Schematic: http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/11%29_Stuff_Not_Sorted/MECK/T60/PAGES/MECK_T60_7.GIF

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »

Thanks Pete....
Joe

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »

I'm glad to see that field day was enjoyed and good ol' equipment was used here and there. It must be nice to do it outdoors! The Irving TX club used to meet under a pavilion but it's too hot, the ladies and some of the guys don't care much for 24+ hours in the Texas summers so  lately we have used a civic building and run the coax and balanced lines out a window or door. Battery power is used even though we are in an air conditioned space. We consider it a way to test impromptu setups.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015