The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:40:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog days in June  (Read 42254 times)
K7EDL
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »

I just came home from Church and had to turn the heat on, its 65 deg in the house and probably about 60 outside. I could realy use a week of sunshine about now.

Eric
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »

Anyone monitoring their AC line voltage?  After a power flicker a little while ago I decided to connect the DMM to monitor the voltage.  Starting off at 121 after power came back I watched over a 30 or so minute period. The voltage dipped down to 109 for a minute or so. It's been bouncing between 116 and 118.  I imagine the 109 dip was due to everyone else coming online at the same time before things settled.  Would've been curious to know what the V was just prior to going out.

That was going on here today.  I shut some things down until it settled down.  the computer is on a backup supply and seemed to be okay. 
We had a fast moving line of storms come through here around 2 p.m. today.  There were hail reports, up to half dollar sized but fortunately I was missed.  It's a good thing too since my garage is now my antenna and rack maintenance shed and my car sits outside.  Wind blew real hard and a lot of rain.  No damage here but I drove around later and a lot of streets were closed because trees had blown over.   Shocked

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »

Can you imagine these temps with no AC? People acclimate but wow. Here's a photo to distract from the triple digits:

* Danish cyclists.png (726.95 KB, 787x639 - viewed 481 times.)
wd9ive
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »

one bright spot to the miserable heat.... if you use propane for winter heating fuel the dog days (and the drop in oil prices) have been good for the price.
towards the end of last summer I paid just north of $2.00 / gallon for the stuff. I just bought 800 gallons @ $1.39 /. I think it may even drop further, if it stays dry here in midwest I dont think the farmers will be using much to dry grain. I've got another 1000 gallon tank to fill so I'm keepin my fingers crossed.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

Yup. Just spoke to a friend of mine in the Washington, DC area. He's been w/o power since Saturday. At least he has a basement, but still.....

Can you imagine these temps with no AC? People acclimate but wow. Here's a photo to distract from the triple digits:

K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

I'm just outside Washington DC.  No power.  No AC.  Plenty of heat.  And a noisy generator that barely powers the refrigerator and well. 

C'mon  Pepco...
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »

Hope you get your power back soon.

Dominion Power outage map here. You can zoom to street level. I was surprised to see so many outages just up the road in Richmond, VA.

http://outagemap.dom.com/DomComFlexOutageViewer/index.html

PEPCO outage map here.

http://www.pepco.com/home/emergency/maps/stormcenter/
WA1GFZ

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »

I hope our sleezy power company sent a couple crews to help you guys.
All the wiring is still pretty much JS since our outage.
They have been cutting trees along the roads more this year.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »

the mother of thunderboomers took out power out around 11:00 friday night.
It rained cats, dogs, cows, pigs and even a few horses! ! ! ! !  It rained so hard that I couldn't see my neighbors house 50' away! In my 57 years I have been out in storms, hurricanes, etc, but I have NEVER seen rain come down like this!! And blowing sideways too boot!

Within 30 minutes, I had ankle deep water in the basement and getting deeper.
I had to brave it and go out and fire off the genny out in the garage. My old, decrepid 1948 U.S. Power and light genny came to life and ran it's ass off till monday evening around 6:00 PM

My genny will run everything ELSE in the house but the A/C. After pulling off the "blackout cookout" on saturday with 2 hours of sleep from friday night, and 2 more days of 100deg temps with no relief, I was totally spent by monday night, and actually sick from the heat. That's no A/C, no Cable TV, no Phone, and no Internet. We were all joking about "Living Amish".

When the power came back on on monday night, all of the neighbors were out in the street hoopin and hollerin in celebration of getting their A/C back. I just fired it up and layed down to cool off and relax! ! ! ! !

BUT, when you think you got it bad, someone else has it worse! ! I talked to some friends on my cell phone who told me they still didn't have their power back yet as of last night, and they only live 1.5 mi from me!
Sometimes, we're lucky and don't even know it!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015