The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:18:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog days in June  (Read 42439 times)
w1vtp

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »

Sorry Heat Haters.  I'm loving this heat   

I also like the winters that kill the bugs - well at least slow them down  Grin

Al
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

Hit 100 yesterday, here in B-more. That was bloody hot! ! ! ! !

Had to use the A/C in the truck for the first time this year! (and it felt good)
100 is hot past the point of getting comfortable with it. But ya know what........
After the sun fell a little lower in the sky, I was out in the garage doing some machining. It wasn't too bad, and the big fan kept it quite bearable.

I love summer and the hot wx, but 100+ and high humidity is a bit opressive

The picture-poifikt summer day is anywhere in the 80s to and lower humididity.
Low 90s isn't bad if you have a little breeze to go with it. Yesterday evening, after supper, I came out on the back porch and drank a 32oz mug of hot coffee (one of the designated smoking areas) before heading off to the laboratory. (garage)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

There you are Frank,
Coffee in the morning on the front porch.
Coffee in the evening on the back.
Coffee all the rest of the day,
In your brick paved lab.

Aren't you glad your back porch faces east?
& Where else can one see the walls decorated with shelves of motors? (rhetorical)

I like sitting outside too. We don't feed the birds but they sure 'enjoy' dodging yellow jackets while trying to take a dip in the birdbath.  Now that I try to keep filled.  Amazing the antics and aerial holding patterns of birds wanting to use it next.  A couple of big jays own the periphery and guard it jealously but allowing the cardinals next, and so on down the line to all the rest of the unknown, little grey birds.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:33 PM »

Drove into San Francisco yesterday. How many times have I done that in the summer? Dozens of times.
Still I forgot to take a jacket. That was a mistake.

Naknek, Alaska (see Steve's post) had SF beat by 20 degrees.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »

dropped down 1 degree yesterday for the ride home. 100 and down to 97 by the time I got home.
AC cranking at home. I like hot but prefer it cool when I sleep.
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »

K5UJ; I am with you this stupid weather no rain, hot burning temps, is for the BIRDS, no maybe I am wrong it is for the CAMELS, I dont want to live in a desert if I did I know where two good ones are located on the earth.

We do have a lot to be thankfull for but I would be a lot more thankfull if it would rain.

John W9BFO
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »

Don't forget about the dreaded castor beans!

Ha, you can have it.

You can also have:

The bugs
The bird poop on your car
The lightning
The "ozone action alerts."
The tornadoes
The yard work
The West Nile Virus
The DEET gunk that's almost as bad as bug bites, maybe just as bad
The high A/C bills
The crappy band condx and QRN
The street parties and idiots blasting music at 10 p.m.
The lawn service contractors blocking streets with their equipment
The frozen foods you just bought melting on the way home
The kid solicitors who get bused in to sell magazine subscriptions to supposedly make money for college, or some other hard luck story
The road construction delays

have at it; enjoy.

addendum:  (I'm getting forgetful) The humidity
Field Day

Add:

Ticks (maybe they fall under the category of "bugs")
Poison ivy (although the stems and roots of the plant remain toxic year round)

Permethrin in a 0.5% solution sprayed on clothing prior to wearing works for me, as an alternative to DEET sprayed directly on the skin.  If you can't find it, try looking at gardening and ag supply stores; about $6 buys 8 oz. of 10% solution.  Dilute it 20:1 in a spray bottle and treat your clothing an hour or two before putting them on, to make sure it is completely dry. For ticks, make sure you spray it on boots and socks as well. It is said to remain effective on the clothing through 3-4 washings.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »

Don't forget about the dreaded castor beans!

I count those as positives, not something to bitch about.  I intentionally planted them several years ago, and they do seem to keep moles away from the veg garden. Don't have to plant new ones in the spring; they re-seed and come up like weeds now, but don't do well except in cultivated soil.  That reminds me...  I need to sew those jimson weed seeds I collected last year.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »

I wouldn't know a castor bean if it bit me on the ankle.

It has cooled down here now so wx while dry is not miserable like it was earlier in the week.  I get lousy sleep at night when it is hot.  in winter when it is minus 10 outside (actually it never got that low last winter when winter never happened much) I turn the thermostat down and the house cools down to 55 degrees and I sleep like a log.  Well, in summer if I ran the a/c to do that I'd go broke.   Huh   

I have been out to the Bay Area for my job a number of times.  I do the same thing.  It will be 85 in Palo Alto and I'll go into SF on the Caltrain and freeze my butt off--it will be 55 in S.F. and I'm wearing a T-shirt and shorts.   Chicago is a bit like that too.  Out here in the far west burbs it is hot but in the City with the Lake cooling and wind off the Lake blowing down the streets it can be relatively cool.   I hardly ever go into the City but out west I'm a tourist on weekends.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »

100 on Thursday, 102 in Denver yesterday, 102 again today. Upper 90s this coming week. Will probably be hottest Denver June on record. Occasional choking smoke from area forest fire. No chance of significant rain in near future. Everything is browning up. Radio stations off air due to A/C failures.

The only worse things missing are plagues, pestilence and the Kardashians.

Can't wait for July and August.

Bill
K5WLF
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »

The only worse things missing are plagues, pestilence and the Kardashians.

Bill

Given a choice, I'd take plagues and pestilence.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »

Heat front has broke here in WVa.  Enjoyed watching a UWay sponsored baseball game today as well as the start of Stonewall Jackson ARC field day activities (3A) with the civil air patrol manning one of the stations. 

It hit all of 83 deg. -On a puffy clouded, blue sky and low humidity day. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
K5WLF
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »

It got up to 96.3° by 1130 this morning here in North Central TX and ran us off the shooting range. Sure glad we'd started at 0800, so we got some good shooting in. It's down to 91° now and fcst for 73° overnight. As far as I'm concerned, the overnight temp is just about right for a daily high.
vincent
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »

Not better in this part of the world. Here, in Rome, we had almost 40°C! (around 105°F) and very humid Huh. As Frank said, the summer, to be agreeable, should have a much lower temp. with a light breeze Smiley if not, it’s much better the wintertime! Cool
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »

Heat front has broke here in WVa.  Enjoyed watching a UWay sponsored baseball game today as well as the start of Stonewall Jackson ARC field day activities (3A) with the civil air patrol manning one of the stations. 

It hit all of 83 deg. -On a puffy clouded, blue sky and low humidity day. 

What call was the SJARC using? I think I may have worked them on 75.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

I can't stand hot and humid weather.  If and when Martha and I ever downsize, we will be moving to a cooler climate on some body of water.  People talk about getting all this outside work done in the summers but in oppressive heat and humidity I just stick to the inside projects like I do in the winter.

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

I wouldn't know a castor bean if it bit me on the ankle.

Me either so I looked it up. The sentence that stood out for me:

According to the 2007 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, this plant is the most poisonous in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil_plant
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »

Yes, they are very poisonous. Be sure to keep small children away from the plants. This is what I've heard.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 02:11:29 PM »

I detect a general summer allergy here?  Grin

-A power spoiled nation.
If power ever went off in the south for whatever reason, the people stampeding back to the north would rival the Columbia river dump when an ancient lake broke through after the last ice age.

Houston used to be a small, hot oil town, basically just a crossroads where all the buildings had open windows and everyone somehow wore long sleeved white shirts to work.   If you wanted any sort of breeze you went to Galveston.  Cities in the south didn't cancerously grow until A/C.

Same with the Carolinas.  - off to Myrtle, the mountains or Nags Head for cooling off. Florida was for the Seminols.  Only after WWII did the great migrations south "for the weather" (winter only, thank you) begin.  You turn off the air in Florida during the summer these days and your tight house turns green.  No verandas and open air houses these anymore,  just Legionairs bacteria lying in wait for you wusses.  Grin

When you hop from your A/C'd house into your A/C's sucvee, walk three feet to the A/C'd store, no wonder you catch every alphabet disease invented by man.
You've lost the ability to adapt locally to modest changes in temperature, let alone to the changes of whole seasons.  So you invent all sorts of bogymen, the more grand, the better, all the way up to "climate change"...   not having even experienced remotely real climate.

Sagan was right.  We live in a demon haunted world.

This diatribe is somewhat rhetorical because many of us in younger days lived in the pre A/C'd world, but if the shoe fits.....  

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

Huh Huh  Huh

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5WLF
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

I keep the A/C'ed areas in my house at 80-82°, not exactly icicles dripping off the overhead. The A/C in my pickup hasn't worked for two years, I live in North Central Texas where seasonal temperature variations range from single digits in the winter to triple digits in the summer (with attendant humidity) and I haven't been sick from anything but food poisoning in the last six years or so. And that includes the common cold. So, I must ask, "Your point?"

BTW, if the power went off in the south, there's a lot of us Southern Boys who'd stay right here and get the power back on. Wouldn't have near the load to meet after all the snowbirds ran back north  Grin
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

I keep the A/C'ed areas in my house at 80-82°, not exactly icicles dripping off the overhead.
I experienced rain in a Houston hotel room once. Hot moist air blowing in from a window that wouldn't close met the overly cold conditioned air inside. I thought that was amusing.

Indeed AC does use a lot of electricity but it takes something or other to keep us Northerners warm in winter, except me of course. The SF Bay Area must have the most mild weather in the lower 48. Now excuse me while I check my earthquake supplies.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

Pretty neat, a miniature cloud chamber or micro climate warm front encroaching.

Pete, point? No point really, ("Oh I'm a ramblin' man") just commenting on perceived summer aversion.  Fun on the board this evening.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »

Here in central Texas it hit 100+ today. The XYL has always been liking cool, and we have debates over the summer thermostat setting. I had to compromise on 74, and even there she "burns up" at times. My 16 year old daughter wears winter clothes, and a sweater when mom is having a burning hot day.  Huh

I just got word that I need to be in Portland, Oregon tomorrow. So a last minute flight gets me there before lunch time there. Portland is between 50-80 with rain forecasted. Big change.

Jim
WD5JKO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »

Pretty neat, a miniature cloud chamber or micro climate warm front encroaching.

Pete, point? No point really, ("Oh I'm a ramblin' man") just commenting on perceived summer aversion.  Fun on the board this evening.

It's more fun and interesting to talk about AM, radios, electronics, and all that good electronics related stuff since that seems the major board interest. There's always ramblingman.com  for all the other stuff. It's hot, it's cold, it's wet, it's dry; it's snowing; it's raining; who cares; it's called weather. We see and feel it every day.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015