The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:29:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog days in June  (Read 42420 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »

95 degrees, wind, no rain, sun beating down, lousy sleep at night, dragging my tail all day....I'll take 10 below zero  Cool  any day over this  Tongue and it isn't even mid July yet.  Can't hardly do any work at home when I get there....fire up anything and operate AM or CW?  ya gotta be kiddin' me.    Oh man it is   HOT

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K7EDL
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »

Summer hasn't even arrived here yet. The skies are overcast the plants aren't growing, I have to mow my lawn every two weeks as its growing so slow.  You can send me about 20 degrees and we will both be happy.

Eric
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »

I chuckled a bit when I read this Rob, because I've been watching the temps throughout the country and it's been warmer(hotter) in the northern tier lately than it has here in the south. That's pretty much ending this week, though. Mid-90s through the rest of the week into next week. The month of May and much of June were cooler than April here.

Fortunately I got a lot of the work done on the transmitter while it was 'cooler' (70s-80s vs. 80s-90s). Hopefully I can get things sussed out for 40m in the mornings before the heat builds up too much in the garage/station area. It cools off with both garage doors and the back door open, but it also lets in all kinds of critters from flying to crawling.

Just in time for massive static. Had hoped to make some contacts last night but the noise was pretty bad. It's amazing too how much the heat builds back up in there even at night with the tubes lit.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »

114 in Phoenix yesterday @ 8% RH.

We can't wait for July & August.... Tongue

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »

It got all the way  to 80 or something out here, maybe in 85.

I guess I shouldn't say that.
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

It hasn't been bad in upstate NY but we are forecasted to have mini heat wave, 2 days of 90+ with high humidity, but then back down into the low 80's for the Field Day weekend. Nothing like the rest of country is dealing with and no fires. My son just moved from Houston to Tucson. The first day there it was 104 in the shade but very low humidity. He was there for 3 years in the 90s while in the AF...he knows the drill.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »

Seems as I age, it gets more uncomfortable.   Also, I am no longer used to Southern wx.  When it is up over 90 deg. I feel slightly nauseous outside.  I need to get more exercise.

At the hamfest on Sunday I watched two hams who each bought a SX28, break into a sweat just moving them into their vehicles.  And, they each had a younger guy helping them.  Now, the SX28 isn't a plastic radio, but it isn't a 100 lb p.s chassis either. 

KL7OF

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »

You boys need to come up to Naknek for a visit....No heat wave here ....although the wx has been warmer than the past few years..Last summer it rained every day....we have had only 3 rainy days in the past 3 weeks and temps in the 60's....
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »

You're breakin' my heart Cry.

At least you don't have to shovel sunlight...

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »

95 deg up here and I went out yesterday after supper and cut the grass!!

Been out in the garage every day / evening running machine tools!!

You just gotta suck it up and "git er done". Hot and sticky beats the hell out of 10 deg and snowy! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! You dont have to break yer back shoveling 95 deg of heat. I dont start complaining till it gets over 100+ and 80-90% humidity. When the air gets so thick that you have to chop yer way through it with a machette I might think about hibernating inside. Summer is too short to waste it inside!!

I live for summer! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »

I remember seeing a bumper sticker distributed by some ski club up in VT or NH:

THINK SNOW.  SUMMER STINKS!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »

Summer is too short to waste it inside!!

I'm with you, Frank.

Went up to Inner Harbor Sunday and saw the Tall Ships and the Blue Angels,  the water was like glass.

Same as the week before -- parked the cameraphone on the windshield and pressed record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JBwzpoYZ1w
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »

I hear it is hot outside here in Ct. I love summer.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »

Ha, you can have it.

You can also have:

The bugs
The bird poop on your car
The lightning
The "ozone action alerts."
The tornadoes
The yard work
The West Nile Virus
The DEET gunk that's almost as bad as bug bites, maybe just as bad
The high A/C bills
The crappy band condx and QRN
The street parties and idiots blasting music at 10 p.m.
The lawn service contractors blocking streets with their equipment
The frozen foods you just bought melting on the way home
The kid solicitors who get bused in to sell magazine subscriptions to supposedly make money for college, or some other hard luck story
The road construction delays

have at it; enjoy.

addendum:  (I'm getting forgetful) The humidity
Field Day

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

I chuckled a bit when I read this Rob, because I've been watching the temps throughout the country and it's been warmer(hotter) in the northern tier lately than it has here in the south.

Now the heat is supposed to be moving to the northeast.  Glad you got the rig work done Todd!  We're due for a cool down here over the weekend and into next week.   

WQ9E

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

It was 94 here in central IL yesterday and I went for a 10 mile run, it is a sense of accomplishment in that weather kind of like the feeling of success when you restore a much abused piece of vintage gear back to proper operating condition Smiley  I like running in the hot and humid weather still because it reminds me of running cross country in high school back in Mississippi.  Of course I was a lot faster years ago.

I had hoped the unusually dry weather would reduce our Japanese beetle problem but it just delayed it for a few weeks.  Normally they show up when the roses are blooming but this year they missed the blooms but started feasting on the leaves.  A few of them showed up 4 years ago but since then it is a plague every year and they are very difficult to control.

Some cooler weather will be nice because I am having to water gardens every other day.  Even though we got .97 inches of rain Saturday by Monday the temperature and wind made the ground (and plants) look like it had not rained in weeks.  I am looking forward to getting back to the TN mountains later this summer.  In the meantime I am using my solid state receivers more to cut down on the heat generated inside the house.   I just paired a Ranger 2 up with a Anritsu RG52A receiver which works well together but leaves something to be desired aesthetically!

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 11:03:57 PM »

To be honest there are a few things I like about summer:  Ice cream, hamfests and being able to get in the car and go without having to scrape ice.

But, we have something to celebrate now: 

Tomorrow the Days Start Getting Shorter!!!  Grin Grin Grin 

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »

114 in Phoenix yesterday @ 8% RH.

We can't wait for July & August.... Tongue

73DG

I can't wait to get them over with, September too. From about a month ago, it has been too unpleasant to work outdoors all day. We have much humidity in DFW and it is even worse for our Houston colleagues. I really do not know why anyone would want to live there in 100 degree 99% RH environment only 10FT above sea level but they do. It's go to be the money, or the attraction of shooting a signal out over the sea for distance. Maybe it is better up a tower where there might be a little wind.

I feel for those in hot places. I have colleagues in out PHX office.. Last time I was there it was about 110 but it was dry so it didn't feel as hot.

Once the cooler weather is back, it'll be a pleasure to spend more time outside.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5WLF
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 12:36:46 AM »

I too hate the humid, hot summers. A friend of mine from SLC who was born down near HOU dropped by last year after visiting kin in HOU. His comment was, "When I stepped off the plane in Houston, I thought I was walking into a dog's mouth".

My friend Ash who used to live in CO, and now lives in Ireland said that "Boulder is nine months of winter and three months of bad skiing".

First time I visited Ireland, back in August 2004, the temp in Greencastle, Co. Donegal way up in the northern end of the island got up to 75° F, and the locals were whinging (their word) about how "hot" it was. I told them, "I'm leaving out a week after Wednesday, why don't y'all come back to DFW with me. I've got something I want to show you". They simply could not comprehend temps of 113° F (45° C). Didn't understand how we could survive at that temp. I told 'em sometimes we wondered if we could survive. I love the WX in Donegal. Highs usually not higher than 70° F, it rarely freezes due to the Gulf Stream (or as they call it, the North Atlantic Current) and you can tell it's summer when the rain gets warmer.

I'm ready for highs of 75° F and lows in the 40s. Come on, fall! Or winter!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:53 AM »

101 most of the ride home yesterday. 98 at the house
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »

It was 97 here yesterday, have no idea what it is right now, but I was unloading hay most of the morning. Talk about hot, sweaty, and dirty work.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Burt
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »

My daughter who is in NYC said:
"This weather is perfect. I don't know why people complain. First time I'm not cold! Finally some proper summer temperatures

Kind regards,

Samantha"

Of course she had lived in Singapore
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »

Ha, you can have it.

You can also have:

The bugs
The bird poop on your car
The lightning
The "ozone action alerts."
The tornadoes
The yard work
The West Nile Virus
The DEET gunk that's almost as bad as bug bites, maybe just as bad
The high A/C bills
The crappy band condx and QRN
The street parties and idiots blasting music at 10 p.m.
The lawn service contractors blocking streets with their equipment
The frozen foods you just bought melting on the way home
The kid solicitors who get bused in to sell magazine subscriptions to supposedly make money for college, or some other hard luck story
The road construction delays

have at it; enjoy.

addendum:  (I'm getting forgetful) The humidity
Field Day

Add:

Ticks (maybe they fall under the category of "bugs")
Poison ivy (although the stems and roots of the plant remain toxic year round)

Permethrin in a 0.5% solution sprayed on clothing prior to wearing works for me, as an alternative to DEET sprayed directly on the skin.  If you can't find it, try looking at gardening and ag supply stores; about $6 buys 8 oz. of 10% solution.  Dilute it 20:1 in a spray bottle and treat your clothing an hour or two before putting them on, to make sure it is completely dry. For ticks, make sure you spray it on boots and socks as well. It is said to remain effective on the clothing through 3-4 washings.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »

5 minutes after I got home the power went out.
15 minutes later I got the generator running and threw the transfer manually.
1 hour later the power came back on.
Time to replace the cranking control relay so it will be automated again.
The power company said there had been several outages.
I guess it is the first heat of summer, it is showing up the items needing maintenance on large and small scales alike.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KL7OF

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

Dateline Naknek....The temperature soared to 70 degrees F today under clear blue skies...Local residents flocked to the beach on Bristol Bay to seek some relief from this heat wave in the cool waters of the Bering Sea.  Tommorrow's forecast calls for more of the same with highs in the mid 70s.   Villagers fear their pipes may burst.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015