The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird AM problem with Yaesu FT-857D  (Read 4530 times)
ND9B

« on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »

Here's a weird one. I have a Yaesu FT-857D in my car. In AM mode the audio pitch is slightly high. No one's voice sounds right. On the AM broadcast band I know I'm listening to Rush Limbaugh, but it doesn't sound like Rush Limbaugh. It's definitely pitch not tone. Yet, there's no distortion like a mistuned SSB signal would have. It's like listening to a tape recording that's running at a slightly elevated speed. (If you weren't familiar with the speaker, you wouldn't know anything was wrong.)

Now that I've thought about it, could the broadcasters be doing this? Maybe they're playing back pre-recorded programs fast so they can make room for an extra commercial.

Bobby Dipole ND9B
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »

Bob

I have a 857D and it does not have that problem.  It is as broad as a barn door on AM.  My problem with it that I cannot get more than 50-% modulation on AM - that with the Am mic level set at 100

Al
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

Al, build the simple ALC box.  The radio will go 100.

C
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »

Bobby,
Tune around to other stations and you will probably find out that it sounds fine.  Some BC station do speed things up a bit to force more commercials in a given time space.  Usually the difference is not real pronounced. 
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA2DZT

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:03:14 AM »

Thinking about the problem you describe, the only thing that comes to mine is that doppler effect can shift frequencies up or down.  Maybe there is some ringer in one of the circuits.

Fred
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

It should be simple enough to put an AM signal with a known modulation frequency into the rig as a test signal and measure the frequency of the detected audio. The only way you could experience something like this would be if there were DSP involved and the reconversion to baseband were off some how.

MY TV DVR has a feature where you can slow down (80%) or speed up (130%) the recorded signal. There is no discernible change in pitch at all.
KZ5A

Vikings Rule!

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

Probably the broadcaster, I can certainly understand why they would want to make Rush Limbaugh sound like somebody else. Grin Grin Grin

73 Jack KZ5A

73 Jack KZ5A
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »

Probably the broadcaster, I can certainly understand why they would want to make Rush Limbaugh sound like somebody else. Grin Grin Grin

73 Jack KZ5A

Not to mention getting the show over with as fast as possible. Smiley

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »

What are you using for a speaker?  The radio speaker is useless in the small riceboxes and you should use an external speaker.   If the internal speaker is blocked or covered the audio gets worse.  Rush goes from a baritone to a castrato on helium.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015