The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:22:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FTdx5000  (Read 24213 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 29, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

I ran across a thread in another ham radio forum, in which people were freaking out because Yaesu misspelt the word "Transceiver" on the front panel logo.  They spelt it "Tranceiver". I understand they corrected that mistake and offered replacement panels.  Some owners say they are keeping their originals hoping they will some day become collectors' items.

That makes me wonder about the model number.  Is the FT-dx5000 supposed to work more DX than would a plain old FT-5000?  I can recall when their top-of-the-line box was the FT-1000, and  later on, the FT-ONE. 

The old FTdx rigs I remember dated back to about 1970, and were pieces of crap that weighed a ton, used circuit boards with vacuum tubes, and developed crackles and intermittents after a year or two of regular use.

The world of plug-in appliance ham radio never ceases to amaze me.  Roll Eyes

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:42:38 AM »

Maybe the lower case "dx" is a marketing ploy to imply it works "DX" while giving the manufacturer an excuse should the performance be found wanting.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »

It's a model number, no different than DX-100 or 75A-4. Does using a Viking Valiant make one more brave? Does using a Apache make one a warrior or an excellent horseman? These are radios and nothing more. They are only as good or as useful as the person using them and the antennas to which they are connected. This is the same for any radio, even homebrew ones.

The world of piss-n-moan ham radio never ceases to amaze me.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »

I ran across a thread in another ham radio forum, in which people were freaking out because Yaesu misspelt the word "Transceiver" on the front panel logo.  They spelt it "Tranceiver". I understand they corrected that mistake and offered replacement panels.  Some owners say they are keeping their originals hoping they will some day become collectors' items.

That makes me wonder about the model number.  Is the FT-dx5000 supposed to work more DX than would a plain old FT-5000?  I can recall when their top-of-the-line box was the FT-1000, and  later on, the FT-ONE.  

The old FTdx rigs I remember dated back to about 1970, and were pieces of crap that weighed a ton, used circuit boards with vacuum tubes, and developed crackles and intermittents after a year or two of regular use.

The world of plug-in appliance ham radio never ceases to amaze me.  Roll Eyes

It's nothing more then the marketing and advertising managers whimsical thought process for an eye-catching model number. When you have a very focused market, and fierce competition, you do all you can to resonate with the customer.

There is no FT-5000 but there is an FTdx9000 series.

You can see the missing "s" here: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0355vlrg.jpg

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

They are all in a snit because a teeny tiny word on the front panel says "tranceiver" or something?  Does it not work right because of that?   Grin

The world of entertainment center ham radio never ceases to amaze me  Cheesy

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »

Since transceiver is a combination of two words would there be some rule as to how to spell it?

At least they spelled Yaesu properly.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »

Or, one could always come up with their own names...

T

* Dr. Love.jpg (324.67 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 549 times.)

* Fabio -2.jpg (303.8 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 640 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »

Come now, gentlemen....

Don is an elder statesman in the world of AM. For him to take the time on such a gorgeous weather Sunday to log onto the internet, seek this story out, and re-post his findings here on 'fone tells me that this is a serious matter which is very important to him. Should I ever decide to buy a radio made by Yaesu, I will trust his judgement and check the front panel labeling carefully before committing any funds.

And only a few weeks after Daylight Shifting Time. Obviously we are not as focused on the important matters here as folks on other sites.

Thank you Don.   Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »

Shocked

* Yaesu-FTDX5000.jpg (108.75 KB, 800x600 - viewed 856 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »

Grin Grin

Or would that be "Dr. Rove?"

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »

Wonder if the reason behind the spelling mistake might be because the designers of the radio were Japanese and speak Japanese? So when they wrote out what it was to say it was in japanese and then translated. Try reading the manual to a piece of equipment that was built in China or Japan and take note of some of the errors, more than likely the instructions were written down in the builder's native language, then translated (rather poorly) into English.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »

Come on, What's in a name?

* 71.jpg (42.69 KB, 640x482 - viewed 602 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »

WOW Bill,

That is the rare Super Defiance "HI low". Notice the mix of upper and lower case letters on the "PiTCh" control. That's worth a bundle!  Grin
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »

Since transceiver is a combination of two words would there be some rule as to how to spell it?

It seems the term "transceiver" originated back in the 20's. They had 90 years to get it right.

N7BDY

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:17:44 AM »

Something was lost in translation ?   Wink  Most of us remember the instruction manuals that used to come with new gear of all sorts out of  Japan just a few short years ago ...... actually they are doing much better .  Whats amazing is Hammy Hambone makes an issue out of something so trivial ,  when what really matters is how the damn thing works .   I guess thats why the world is in the shape its in .  Priorities  Roll Eyes 

N7BDY 
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »

Don, the Irb of the 21st sentury
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »

The world of piss-n-moan ham radio never ceases to amaze me.
Whats amazing is Hammy Hambone makes an issue out of something so trivial, when what really matters is how the damn thing works.

Who's pissing 'n moaning?  I think a more accurate term would be "comedy".

Wonder if the reason behind the spelling mistake might be because the designers of the radio were Japanese and speak Japanese? So when they wrote out what it was to say it was in Japanese and then translated. Try reading the manual to a piece of equipment that was built in China or Japan and take note of some of the errors, more than likely the instructions were written down in the builder's native language, then translated (rather poorly) into English.
Something was lost in translation ?   Wink  Most of us remember the instruction manuals that used to come with new gear of all sorts out of  Japan just a few short years ago ...... actually they are doing much better .  

Even more challenging were assembly instructions for kids' toys and other cheaply made products from "offshore".

One of the reasons many of the manuals are better these days is that "Made in China" (or some other country) is increasingly likely to be a U.S. product made by a U.S. company that has relocated its assembly operation overseas. Two examples that come to mind are Hunter ceiling fans and Apple.

Actually, the quality of many offshore products has improved in recent years.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:08 AM »

I agree Don, you are very amusing. So are clowns.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »

Who wants to be the first to tell DAVE his tranceiver is spelled incorrectly?

* m5afd.jpg (92.98 KB, 800x533 - viewed 674 times.)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »

With regards to that whole conversation over there on the zed, we have to keep things in perspective. $6,000 is a lot to spend on a radio in the first place and a small oversight like the lettering error would bug a lot of people. It's no different than buying a car and having one of the dealer monkeys put a key scratch near the door lock.

Personally, I've played with the 5000 and I while I thought it was nice, it certainly wasn't all that. Receive wise, while switching back and forth on an antenna switch, it wasn't as good as my 20year old INRAD equipped 1000D. If I was going to go into that price range, I would up the till a little and just get the FTDX-9000D for $10Large and get it over with. I had to opportunity to play with one and it really is a thing to behold. To me, receiving is everything, and that rig has a set of ears on it like one of those little foxes that runs around in the desert.

* 9000d.jpg (149.18 KB, 1097x436 - viewed 610 times.)

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »

The original product brochure for the FTdx5000 showed the same misspelling on the front panel so they were warned prior to purchase.

N7BDY

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

I wonder if the poor guy that gave the final OK before production on the front panel will commit hara kiri over that   Wink

I wouldn't send mine back .... after the production change with the new panels having one of the old ones would be akin to having a coin that was mistruck from the mint .   More desirable and rare , no ?  
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »

$5K or $10K for a tran(s)ceiver is too rich for me.  I'm saving up for my Shevy Korvette.
N7BDY

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

On a more serious vein consider this .  Yes its a lot of money for a rig , but sometimes being too fussy over nothing can bite you in the butt .  Here you have a brand new rig that works flawlessly ,  but you spot this "defect " .  You box it up .... you pay for shipping ,  you risk your new rig getting thrashed in the mail ,  then what if you get a factory tech who perhaps isnt one of their best or who got drunk or loaded the night before or had a fight with his girlfriend or a wife who just threw his laundry out in the yard ,  or thinks he isnt paid enough and isnt concentrating or doesnt care . He butchers your rig and it comes back with more problems than a misspelling on the panel .   I'm not saying it would happen but its a roll of the dice .  No , personally I wouldnt risk it .   I'd run the rig through its paces and if  I was happy with it  ,  I'd let it slide unless there were other issues ,  then maybe have 'em change out the panel .  I'm very fussy with my stuff but that misspelling is a non issue to me .  But everyone is different .   Some people get wound up and ulcers over this kind of stuff .  Lifes too short to sweat the small things .
N7BDY

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »

Yeh really ,  I just run old stuff here so I dont worry about that kind of crap .  But the more money a person has and the more they spend the more anal they get it seems . 

I sorta used to be that way ... but the longer in the tooth I get ,  I find my priorities have changed .  Its easier on my nerves   Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015