The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:48:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting AC to DC filiments  (Read 26784 times)
KA2DZT

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »

Frankie,

All he needs to do is move the pos side of the 8ufd caps from the fil xfmr CT to the ground point at the 100ohm resistor and it will solve any issues with ripple across the 100ohm resistor.

I'm very familiar with the voltage dividers used in old BC receivers and the way negative bias was developed.

Fred
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

Nada............

It will effectively then put the 8uF cap in series with the 1000uF cap thus slightly lowering the value of the 8uf filters. The 1000uf cap should be more than sufficient to remove any ripple on the + side output.

Someone else chime in, please. I'm getting tired of typing............... Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KA2DZT

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »

Frankie,

You're wrong.  8ufd in series with 1000ufd isn't going to change anything.  What's more important is that the 8ufd ground return will not be going through the 100ohm resistor.  And the 8ufd caps will be on the correct polarity side of the 1000ufd cap.  Look at the schematic.

Probably will not make much difference but if I was building that supply I would ground the 8ufd caps at the chassis ground point.  The bias supply works from chassis ground and that's where the caps should be grounded.

Just because the xmtr was design that way doesn't always mean it's right.  Especially, a xmtr with so many hum problems.  That in itself should tell you something, like how many other errors are in the design.  The use of the high pass filter to reduce the hum problems the xmtr has is another indication of design issues.

Fred
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »

He said after replacing the carbon mine caps that the hum level was now so low it would not be noticed. Isn't the problem solved?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »

Its a learning process.  Nothing is every fixed in a ham shack Pat. You should know that  Grin

C
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »

Its a learning process.  Nothing is every fixed in a ham shack Pat. You should know that  Grin

C

Do you mean me, KD5OEI Patrick, or are you replying to N4LTA Pat? got to keep things straight around here. Or keep them confused. Or something.

I do know nothing is ever fixed in my shack. But then I like to stand in the middle and revel in the scattered parts.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »

Frankie,

You're wrong.  8ufd in series with 1000ufd isn't going to change anything.  What's more important is that the 8ufd ground return will not be going through the 100ohm resistor.  And the 8ufd caps will be on the correct polarity side of the 1000ufd cap.  Look at the schematic.

Probably will not make much difference but if I was building that supply I would ground the 8ufd caps at the chassis ground point.  The bias supply works from chassis ground and that's where the caps should be grounded.

Just because the xmtr was design that way doesn't always mean it's right.  Especially, a xmtr with so many hum problems.  That in itself should tell you something, like how many other errors are in the design.  The use of the high pass filter to reduce the hum problems the xmtr has is another indication of design issues.

Fred

Phred,
        This is my last post on this subject, done finito! ! ! ! You have A testa doro! !

1. that thing was designed by someone that knew more than either of us! And it was designed for a specific purpose. (which they did well) They were also designed to be able to be operated by some one with minimal knowledge of radio theory.

2. de-emphasizing the audio bandwidth was a very popular way to 1. eliminate noise monsters, and 2. "increase talk power" back in those days. It put the max volume right in the middle voice frequency range. (why waste mod power and final dissapation on frequencies that dont help your cause) and 3. minimise bandwidth.

3. the Hi-FI conversions are OUR thing, because we want to sound good and sound natural. Most, if not all military rigs with carbonium microphoniums are designed to sound like you have a clothespin on your nose.

Power supply filtering is always supposed to be on the rectifier output, period. Between + and - short, sweet, and simple. Holding the initial filtering above one side with a resistor is inviting a ripple issue. After the initial filtering you can do what you want with either side and voltage dividers, etc. But I have never seen any kind of power supply that had any resistance between one end of the initial filter and the rectifier outpoot.

Done, over, last post! I know you will want the last word!

Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

I meant you patrick.  Wink

C

C

Do you mean me, KD5OEI Patrick, or are you replying to N4LTA Pat? got to keep things straight around here. Or keep them confused. Or something.

I do know nothing is ever fixed in my shack. But then I like to stand in the middle and revel in the scattered parts.
KA2DZT

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

Frankie,

Don't get your nuts in a uproar.  We'll have to just disagree on this issue.

Fred
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015