The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:36:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-99 QF-1 help  (Read 4227 times)
N8IE
Contributing

Bullies need love too, hug me or I'll punch you!

« on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »

Hello all,
Just acquired a Heathkit QF-1 to use on my Hallicrafters SX-99.

From the QF-1 manual, I hook the coax connector to the plate side of the input IF transformer or the plate connection of the mixer tube at the socket. From looking at the schematic of the SX-99 it appears to be pin 8 of V3 (6SG7), the first IF Amp. Is this correct?

I know I can get the filament voltage from the transformer, I need to ground one side to the chassis and the other I can tap off pin 7 of either V1,2,3 or 5. I need to find a good place to get B+ (120V to 300V). Any recommendations for this?

Thanks in advance.
73 de N8IE
Dan

For just $1 a month you can save a Ham from SSB.
Please give to AMfone today, I did!

Remember, Hams don't let Ham's run SSB...
Dan, N8IE
KA2DZT

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:31:52 AM »

QF-1 was one of the first kits I ever built some 50+ years ago.  Damn thing didn't work right.  Checking over everything I discovered that one of the filament pins wasn't soldered.  After that fix it worked very well.  I sold it years later.  Probably about 25-30 years ago I bought another one at a fester.  Damn thing didn't work right.  Me being one of the smartest people on the planet, I quickly checked the filament pins.  Sure enough the same pin wasn't soldered.

Best I can figure is that there was an error in the assembly manual which never said to solder that one pin.

As I remember it is easy to hook up.  Just connect your filament line to any 6.3v filament pin of one of the tubes in the receiver.  You need to connect the B+, again find a B+ source point and then you need a ground line.  The RF line gets connected to the plate of the first IF tube.  Not exactly sure about the SX-99 but it sounds like you're on the right path.

Follow the manual and I'm sure you'll get it hooked up right.

Fred

N8IE
Contributing

Bullies need love too, hug me or I'll punch you!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »

Hello Fred et all.
I was on the right track.  Cheesy

The RG-58 cable does indeed connect to pin 8 of V3, this is the plate of the 1st IF amp.
The 6.3VAC filament was a no brainer, I tapped it off V2. As for the B+, I found 205VDC on the HV supply.

I replaced the 12AX7 with a new one, and did the normal smoke test, all the smoke remained inside their respective components.

The QF-1 is a very nice addition to the SX-99. All that's left to complete my vintage Novice station is to make a circuit for the DowKey and rec muting.  Grin

Dan, N8IE

For just $1 a month you can save a Ham from SSB.
Please give to AMfone today, I did!

Remember, Hams don't let Ham's run SSB...
Dan, N8IE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015