The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:10:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest  (Read 36747 times)
Steve - K4HX
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

It won't be long now as May 4 and 5 are fast approaching. There was a very nice mention of the fest in the most recent QST. John Dilks, K2TQN wrote in his Vintage Radio column on a restoration of a Collins 30FX by Don, K1DC:

Scrounging parts to restore it, he went to the Hosstraders hamfest in New Hampshire, long noted to be the best Boatanchor hamfest in the Northeast. (Now known as NEAR-Fest, it continues to be the best.)

and

NEAR-Fest XI is scheduled for May 4-5, 2012, 0900 Friday through 1500 Saturday at the Deerfield Fairgrounds, Deerfield, New Hampshire. Many Collins and Boatanchor radios plus other vintage ham accessories will be for sale. For more information go to www.near-fest.com.
Burt
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »

It won't be long now as May 4 and 5 are fast approaching. There was a very nice mention of the fest in the most recent QST. John Dilks, K2TQN wrote in his Vintage Radio column on a restoration of a Collins 30FX by Don, K1DC:

Scrounging parts to restore it, he went to the Hosstraders hamfest in New Hampshire, long noted to be the best Boatanchor hamfest in the Northeast. (Now known as NEAR-Fest, it continues to be the best.)

Can you arrange for good wx?
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »

Many Collins and Boatanchor radios plus other vintage ham accessories will be for sale.

Im pleased to hear that Collins doesnt qualify as Boatanchors Grin Time for a serious price "adjustment" Cool
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »

I've put in my order for good WX. It will be in the 30's here tonight (we have much warmer nights in the beginning of March), so by next week things should warm up.  Smiley
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »

We're all looking forward to seeing our friends from AMFONE. So bring some goodies to sell and some money to buy new ones.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »

Will do MrMike. I plan to make a serious dent in my basement piles of shhtuff!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

The car is ready to go.  Martha and I will be heading out Thursday morning.  Looking forward to seeing the crew!  We missed attending last year.  2 year spans between NEAR-Fests are hard to endure!   

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »

Will do MrMike. I plan to make a serious dent in my basement piles of shhtuff!

Rob W1AEX
Rob,
Hope to have another eyeball. Watch for the burgundy Honda Pilot, CT. reg. "130 GTC"
 We are usually in the NW section near the back-end of the bleachers. INCORAGIBLE REBREBATES like N10A, W1UX, K1VYU usually share the spot with us

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

Sounds good Carl. I will be heading up with Joe W1AIU and looking for a sweet spot to park on Friday morning.

You can buy all my junk and I'll buy all your junk. Then we can sell it all to Al W1UX! See you there!

Rob

WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:19 PM »

Carl,
I saw our buddy yesterday sitting on a lamp post
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »

Then we can sell it all to Al W1UX!

Do you refer to Al (Al) AL Al?   Grin

Looking forward to seeing everyone there. We might make it up in time to visit Mark's BBQ, if not we'll definitely be at the AM Dinner and selling in the AM Corral. Carl is usually just around the corner from us.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

You forgot "Al." And then there is Yves.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »

Carl,
I saw our buddy yesterday sitting on a lamp post

Tell him I said "Hi". My division was sold in January and I lost my job in the process so I have not had to commute up there. First good comuting wx in years too.
The mantel of responsibility for watching him now rests on your capable shoulders Frank.

Hope to see you next week

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »

This is my first Near fester. Someone told me talk-in will be on the 3885 repeater PL 60Hz. Is that right? Wink
Looking forward to meeting up with you gents.

Phil

I think therefore AM
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »

Was good to work you on 40m earlier Phil, and will be good to meet you at the 'fest. If you get there Friday, be sure to join us for the AM Dinner in the evening.

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

For the gearheads out there, after the fester shuts down on Saturday, you might want to head up to the track at Loudon for the Loudon Annoying 24 Hours of Lemons endurance race.  They will be racing for something like 15 hours between Saturday and Sunday.  I think all weekend paddock passes that allow overnight camping at the track are something like 20-30 bucks.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »

Was good to work you on 40m earlier Phil, and will be good to meet you at the 'fest. If you get there Friday, be sure to join us for the AM Dinner in the evening.
I plan to arrive Friday morning. Sounds great Todd see you then.
Phil

I think therefore AM
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

Hi all:

Mr. Mike: THANK YOU and the gang for running this. Something I really look forward to.

'GMS and Carl: Hope to bump in to you.

Steve 'QIX: try to remember some transorbs and maybe even the N9NEO modulated power supply.

"We'll pass a good time" as they say in Louisiana.

See ya there....
Dan
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

You forgot "Al." And then there is Yves.

Mr. UX is a man of many names and faces...

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 05:21:27 PM »

"We'll pass a good time" as they say in Louisiana.

Or Woonsocket!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »

The schedule of events was posted last week:

http://near-fest.com/index.php?topic=977.0

AM Dinner announcement to follow soon.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »

'GMS and Carl: Hope to bump in to you.

See ya there....
Dan

Yep Dan hope to see you as well.  Its been quite some time since Martha and I visited you to get those radio goodies!   

Martha decided we needed a new car for the event so she just bought a new 2012 Camry SE last weekend.  A little more comfortable riding that as compared to her 73 Mach 1 not to mention the better gas mileage.   

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Checking in from the fairgrounds via W1VE hotspot to report that everybody is having a good time, it has not rained for hours. Just cloudy and a better day expected for tomorrow. C'mon up.....Larry

wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 05:42:43 PM »

Was discouraged from going today because of "unable to read computor updates" by our local weatherman..all 4 of them chimed in with doom and gloom but promise maybe a reprieve tommorow..I'm headin' down anyway..gotta check on Al..Jerry..Bob and the rest of the gang..will look for ya Todd but no comments on when or where concerning my procrastination on erecting a decent wire..If you insist I'll grill ya on why ur never hoid on 15 or 10mtrs..LOL          73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
w1vtp

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »

I was there this morning and saw a few of my friends.  I'll be back tomorrow.  Had to go into work this afternoon.  "Comeon June first!!!"

Some of the guys were (I think rightfully) reluctant to expose their wares to the elements - I merely asked to "peek under the hood" and they obliged.  Others didn't seem to care if the rain got to the stuff on their tables.  After observing to one guy that the transformers on his table was  soaking wet, he merely pointed to the source of the moisture (duhhh!) but didn't seem to care.  Another had a 32v that was being dripped on.  Wonder if they were just babysitting the tables or were displaying someone elses stuff - so what did they care???  I saw an EICO 720 / 722 combo that had a price tag of $200!! (I hadn't asked - overheard).  In my opinion, that's way too high.  The DX60 at least has a builtin modulator.

Al
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015