The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E.F. JOHNSON VIKING INVADER 2000 SLAB BACON MODS SWAN 350 AUDIO DSB  (Read 6445 times)
AC0FA
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »

For sale Viking Invader 2000 with slab bacon mods.
See article in the am window deyellification of a viking invader 2000. all mods have been performed. His audio section had too much capacitor for me so i used the audio circut from the swan 350. The swan 350/700cx has the best sounding audio of any other rig i have heard (in my opinion) result is beautiful audio. I did install a switch to bypass the crystal filter as suggested in the article and sure enough she puts out true double side band am. It puts out 250-300w carrier and 1200w peak on 3885 of course. It doesnt take much audio to drive it maybe on a setting of 2 or 3. I am using a chrome lolly pop. Makes donald duck sound like bing crosby.

This invader has been recapped and aligned faulty tubes have been replaced as well as the tubes suggested in slab bacons article. The HV is original and has not been modified by the factory. The rf section was returned to the factory for all the suggested mods in 1964. I was able to verify all while doing slab bacons improvements to the vfo ect.

This rig has been modified a Hot Rod Audio AM ham would give his right arm for this beauty. The only thing he uses ssb for is to make a schedule for 3885. It works beautifully on usb lsb and cw as well.

This is not a museum quality collectors item. This is not a candidate for restoration. This rig is built to run. Parts have been removed repaired and bypassed.   

Following slab bacons advice the 2 or 3 dials on the back and tubes for vox     
and some kind of transformer were removed to make way for the improved audio section.  I have run baby coax to the places where the audio is supposed to go. The cooling fans at the rear and under the amp sounded like anvils in a cement mixer. They were replaced with 2" and 3" 12v muffin fans
much quieter and higher flow. Holes have been drilled in the chassis for the power chords and bnc connectors for external 12v relay have been installed where the vox pots go. Of course the paint is flaking it is a johnson. The brass screws on the hv metere need to be tightened every so often or it shows no output. Basically it is for a ham that wants 1200w peak Double side band am and great audio and dosen't really care what the rig looks like. It is looking for a good home with an experienced veteran ham who has a good understanding of operating tuning and maintaining tube rigs. Prefereably someone who has owned a invader 2000 or viking 500 previously. In the hands of a veteran ham the invader 2000 will last another 50 years it still has the original pl-175a's. In the hands of a new technician it wont last 50 secconds. I still have most of the original parts that were removed in the name of a better sounding more powerfull rig. best offer. Can include pictures                 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015