The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:48:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still on the beach...  (Read 6134 times)
K2PG

« on: April 10, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »

Would any of you know of any broadcast work in PA, NJ, MD, DE, NY, or DC? I was "downsized" when Cumulus Media purchased Citadel Broadcasting last fall. Unfortunately, Cumulus now has a monopoly in most of the medium-sized markets due to this merger. I am not equipped to do contract work, as I have little test equipment and this area is saturated with contract engineers who service the college stations and the few mom-and-pop stations that still exist here. I have been out of work since November.

Please PM me if you know of anything.

Phil K2PG
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »

Hi Phil,

Very sorry to hear that you are still looking for work.  I have no leads to offer,  but wish you all the best.  Am fully retired now.

Have been lucky, for most of my career,  have worked for companies who treated employees as an asset,  and tried in almost all cases to find or create opportunities for employees elsewhere in a company if someone became excess for current needs.  Appears that for the most part,  those times have passed ...  Ooopppsss,  am on thin ice.  Hope that you can still get on AM.

Good Luck Phil.  DE Vic
K2PG

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »

Hi Phil,

Very sorry to hear that you are still looking for work.  I have no leads to offer,  but wish you all the best.  Am fully retired now.

Have been lucky, for most of my career,  have worked for companies who treated employees as an asset,  and tried in almost all cases to find or create opportunities for employees elsewhere in a company if someone became excess for current needs.  Appears that for the most part,  those times have passed ...  Ooopppsss,  am on thin ice.  Hope that you can still get on AM.

Good Luck Phil.  DE Vic

What sucks most about this is that I am too young to collect Social Security and retire but too old to be considered by most companies. Most companies just want kids fresh out of college who will work for minimal salaries.

My old employer, Citadel Broadcasting, was bought by Cumulus Media. Cumulus gutted the local station cluster, where I was chief engineer. They now have one engineer covering everything from Binghamton, NY to Ephrata, PA, a footprint of about 200 miles. And he is an IT guy who knows nothing about transmitters. The cluster's AM station, WARM, was off the air for two or three days because there was nobody available locally to fix the problem. Gotta love today's cheap-ass corporations!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »

Phil,
Good to see and chat with you down at Frank's party. 

It looks like its time for a career change.  If something comes up in the broadcasting field, you can always switch back to that work. 

In the meantime, you need to look at doing other things.  Have you tried the local Home Depot's, Lowes and Drug stores?  It may not be an ideal long term job, but it may hold you over until you find something better.  Grocery stores are another source of revenue to hold you over until something better comes along. 

Its best to go and drop off a resume in person if you can. 

Good Luck.....

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »

KPBS in San Diego is looking for a CE.

Maybe time to move?

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »

It's always a pity when fine-honed skills are no longer needed...  [sigh]

We need to axe ourselves, what service is in great need today?  (Notice I didn't say "product" cuz that area is saturated and we have no edge)

To cut right to the chase, the average person owns a computer and occasionally needs help keeping it running, setting up networks, etc. I am talking about people at home, not companies.

I have seen several local guys build incredible businesses by sub-contracting out talented geeks to go to people's homes to fix their computers. They advertise in the local rags.   The business owner does not necessarily have to know computers - he is the promoter and makes the appointments for the geeks. He splits the fee with each geek and everyone is happy.  An average home visit can run $100-$200 depending on time involved, etc. Very low overhead and can be operated from one's kitchen table with a phone.

There is a lot of money to be made by someone who can find customers and match them up with the right service.

Secret: Want to start the biz out with a bang, on the fast track?  Hire two colleges kids, a good looking girl and guy, to walk the neighborhood knocking on doors, giving out flyers announcing the new computer repair service that makes "HOME VISITS."   Have a discount coupon for the first repair good for one year so people will hold on to it.   Have the college kids practice with you using a short 30 second script.  Give out 2,000 flyers and the phone will start ringing.   Make sure you have geeks that know their computer crap well. There are many around who would love to free-lance like this.

The alternative is to wait for the broadcash field to open up again.  Maybe buggy whips will come back into fashion first.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »

SD is a very expensive place to live
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »

SD is a very expensive place to live

Kiplinger's list ranks it as #10, see slide show http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/slideshows/slideshow_pop.html?nm=10mostexpensivecities

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »

KPBS offers a salary commensurate to the location, for the right person.  It is a demanding job, but secure in todays' economy.

POSITION OPEN: KPBS BROADCAST ENGINEER

KPBS TV/FM/Web, San Diego's Public premier broadcasting
organization, seeks full-time Broadcast Engineer to maintain
audio/video broadcasting, datacasting & computer equipment for
KPBS.  College degree in related field or equiv + 3 yrs radio
and/or TV engineering experience; exp. w/contemporary studio
TV and/or radio broadcast facilities; knowledge of computer
comm tech, hardware diag & repair; xlnt comm/cust svc skills.

Salary $4868-$6125/mo + xlnt benefits.  Applications and
required supplemental questions accepted until 4/24/12.  Apply
online at jobsfoundation.sdsu.edu or call SDSU Research
Foundation at (619) 594-5703.  Specify Job # 120039.
EEO/AA/Title IX Employer.
73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Broadcast+Engineer&l=pa
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Broadcast+Engineer&l=ny
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Broadcast+Engineer&l=nj
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Broadcast+Engineer&l=md
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Broadcast+Engineer&l=dc

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K2PG

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:01:59 PM »

Phil,
Good to see and chat with you down at Frank's party.  

It looks like its time for a career change.  If something comes up in the broadcasting field, you can always switch back to that work.  

In the meantime, you need to look at doing other things.  Have you tried the local Home Depot's, Lowes and Drug stores?  It may not be an ideal long term job, but it may hold you over until you find something better.  Grocery stores are another source of revenue to hold you over until something better comes along.  

Its best to go and drop off a resume in person if you can.  

Good Luck.....

Joe, W3GMS  

Unfortunately, retail does not pay enough for me to even keep the lights lit over here...it offers crappy hours and minimum wage. I did retail when I was a kid and totally detested it! I would probably eat a turd before I would even consider working in a store again.
K2PG

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »

KPBS offers a salary commensurate to the location, for the right person.  It is a demanding job, but secure in todays' economy.

Salary $4868-$6125/mo + xlnt benefits. 

I just applied...thanks! That salary is three times what I was making here in PA. I understand that San Diego is a very expensive city, but the salary should match the living expenses.

Take care,
Phil (soon to be /6?)
K2PG

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »

Thanks for the leads. I will apply to those companies, as well as to the firms in upstate NY mentioned earlier in this thread.

Phil K2PG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015